My pulling vehicle is 2006 F-350 diesel 4x4 single rear wheel. Yesterday I picked up a PJ 22' bumper pull deck over tilt trailer with 14,000lbs GVWR ( http://pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=T8 ). The trailer weights 4380lbs. Does that mean that I can't pull a skid steer (or anything else) that weights > 9620lbs?
your correct
I always heard to not worry about the mule, just load the wagon!lol
Actually you can being that 10-15% of that trailer weight will be transferred as tongue weight on the back of your truck.
The other limit to consider is the gross combined weight rating (GCWR).
Except that I've not seen GCWR ratings for light duty trucks. What they're going to do (DOT cop that is), is when you are loaded, they'll scale each axle. The trailer's must be 7K or less each axle, then the rear axle of the truck must be under its stated GAWR as published on the driver's doorjamb. As mentioned before, you'll see 10-15% transfer to the truck through the tongue.
GCWR is not technically a legal designation,but if you should be involved in an accident and you remotely appear to look ''heavy'',you most assuredly will receive the dreaded latex glove exam without the lube from those bad ass DOT boys.Some trucks have the placard on the driver's door jamb,some don't for GCWR.My 3500 doesn't,my 7500 does---60K lbs.