I have a Phelan tilt bed tag trailer with a RE-6 emergency relay valve and it takes forever for it to release the spring brakes. Would a multi function valve work better and will it just be a swap out or do I need to re-plumb it?
Where is the spring side of each chamber getting its air from? The RE-6 is normally used on trailers that have no spring brakes. Is this one plumbed so that the spring chambers are getting air directly from the reservoir and the RE-6 is acting normally on the service side?
I’ll have to crawl under there and look tomorrow.This is new territory for me.
The multi-function would be a KN-2800 they are also listed with different NPT tank thread size. And yes it would take some plumbing, but it is real easy. As asked above does it have air chambers with parking brake chambers also-known as 30-30 chambers? The R-6 was also used with parking brake chambers but also was never very fast at releasing, but the fact it has a old R-6 it is more than likely crusted up inside too. If it doesn't have spring brake cans now would be a good time to up-date the system with a KN-2800 and parking brakes--it's safer too incase of break away.
Whatever you do with the advice given here, make absolutely sure you do this one thing, disconnect the red and blue lines where they connect to the air valves at the reservoir(s) and blow compressed air through them to clear them, make certain you have good air flow through those lines. You would not believe the things that find their way into those lines over time.
Around here leaf cutter bees.
Mud dobbers, and spicers around here if not kept covered.
Hell, I've pulled cigarette butts out of the fitting of the Emergency port of the parking brake valve.
Ah, that's a rare find, those are from the giant smoking hornet only found in Kentucky and Tennessee.
a couple of weeks ago I couldn't get the emergency glad hand to supply air for an impact wrench from my 80 R model. I removed the air line at it's mounting and blew a large web of some sort out of it. It worked fine afterward. I usually couple the air lines together when not in use as don't have a hanger on that truck but apparently didn't the last time used.
Whether it's plugged or not---he should still update the airbrake system. Doesn't cost that much plus is a major improvement.
It has spring brakes on the rear axle but it’s actually one of the single chambers that is slow to release. I can jack it up and spin it if it doesn’t have air on it but when I charge the system the front brakes come on and then slowly release…..I think? It’s hard to tell with just me in the truck.
Check your brake shoe hardware-return spring and spring in chamber could be broke or S-cam bushings dry of grease.