Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Egged out equalizer holes

heymccall ยท 2023-12-20 19:05

How would you go about fixing these holes? 8k axles with equalizer. Obviously, a new equalizer is in order. But, it calls for a 7/8" bolt and the holes are over 1" egged. If it weren't for the deck tilt sharing the equalizer bolt, I'd just weld in stepped washers. The tilt cylinder pin is seized in the rod, making more work to simply lift off the deck, and I'd like to avoid flipping it over if possible. Is there a simple way to just weld/ bore the holes? I'm open to suggestions, as the axle is 2 weeks out.

Replies3
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-12-20 19:13

    Hold a plate on the inside weld the hole shut and redrill get location measurements before doing so Once you redrill you have to cut what's left of the Plate you covered the hole with.

  2. #21693TA2023-12-20 19:13

    I've seen guys grind the holes with a die grinder and carbide burr and slip a section of DOM tubing section to sleeve it down to correct interior dimension or open this new bushing up to proper dimension with an annular cutter.

  3. #3OzDozer2023-12-20 19:16

    If they're egged out, the plate isn't thick enough. I'd get some heavy bushes machined up out of hollow bar about double the thickness of the plate. I'd then run an annular cutter that's the outside diameter of the bushes through the plates with a mag drill, then grab a longer bolt, slide the new bushes on to the bolt, position the bushes evenly in the plates, tack weld, remove bolt, then fully weld.