Morning all I tried to update the flash file on my truck this morning, and failed. Now the ecm is empty. Looking for any advice to solve my problem. Error code is 73728 the ecm is not responding to the service tool. I'm using CA3 with 7X1686 J1708 adapter. Everything seemed to be going well until the error message came up. C10 3CS21475 Updated flash file 2707006
What Flash File P/N was in it before you started and what P/N were you trying to flash.? You may be in need of an ECM Wash File that completely blanks everything and allows you start again. Unfortunately I don't have any info on what might work for your C10.
Should have added in op. Original flash file p/n 198-3216. *Update* Tried to flash with p/n 251-1761 which I saved as second option. Flash successful. Not sure why it worked with that file and why not the listed updated flash, or what the difference is? At least the truck runs at this time.
There are 4 Flash File updates between 198-3216 and 270-7006. These are 220-6616, 237-0699, 241-0759, & 251-1761. I've seen it before where, despite all the Flash files having the same Interlock Code Number, for no apparent reason you can't jump X generations of file straight from what you have installed to the newest one on the list. Glad you got it sorted anyway. Flashing 270-7006 might work for you now that you've successfully installed 251-1761. EDIT: 270-7006 has provision for variable horsepower settings (305, 315, or 320). The previous versions of the FF do not. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.?
Thanks Nige I'll retry the latest flash. I won't lie, the failure and blank message pukkered my stomach a little. Interesting to know that you've seen problems jumping generations as you put it.
I’ve also seen service documentation that stated something along the lines of “if the installed flash file is older than P/N “X” you must first update to “X” before installing the latest flash file P/N to avoid problems”. That being said I can’t guarantee that you won’t have problems trying to upgrade from 251-1751 to 270-7006 though. It’s one of those oh **** moments that’s for sure. Been there, done that.
It’s semi common for a flash to fail and blank the ECM out. best practice when flashing ECMs is to create and download a Product Status Report and a copy of the ECM configuration files, then attempt a flash. Ensure adequate battery voltage, using a charger if necessary. 99% of the time if a flash fails I can retry a flash and make it work, as Nige says sometimes you will need to use a wash file to blank it fully. And then very rarely the ECM may be corrupted.
I screwed up making the copy. (Lesson learned) I made a report, but that doesn't help after the original is wiped if I needed to reinstall the original flash file.
Neither helps with the flash file itself but if the configuration does not copy over correctly the configuration file can correct that with ease and if necessary each configuration can be reset manually to what is on the product status report. It’s a belt and suspenders approach. Get your flash file sorted out and see what you have.
Back in the days before ET had the PSR capability taking a photo of the ECM Config screen to capture the data was another way of saving the info in case the flash process fell over and you had to re-enter parameters manually.
Hello I need the flash file 251-1761. where can I get that file?