Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

re-starting a jlg 40h manlift

happypainter ยท 2015-05-04 21:34

This happy painter is very unhappy because some bleeping bleephole siphoned the diesel out of my machine and I ran it dry. Does any one know where the bleeder screw and primer pump are on a jlg 40h manlift? I have never run a diesel engine out of fuel before, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1willie592015-05-04 22:29

    Welcome to HEF happypainter. :drinkup Would that be a Deutz diesel engine?

  2. #2willie592015-05-04 22:37

    Good grief, the parts manual shows that machine was fitted with a choice of 3 Deutz diesels, F2L511, F3L912, and the F3L1011.

  3. #3happypainter2015-05-04 23:07

    I looked up the specs as well and noticed the same thing. It also mentioned Ford engines. The machine's original engine was replaced at 3000 hrs (900 hours ago and before I owned it). So long story short, I'm not certain at this time. Is there a way to tell by looking at it? Thanks for your response.

  4. #4willie592015-05-04 23:18

    All three are air cooled engines, the F2L511 and F3L912 are similar, you can visibly see the valve covers on those two engines, a rounded valve cover for each cylinder. The difference between the two is the F2L is a two cylinder engine and the F3L is a three cylinder. The F3L1011 has flat cover panels over the cylinders and the top of the engine, makes them look more boxy, and the top cover hides the valve cover, valve cover is not visible on that engine if the panels are fitted.

  5. #5happypainter2015-05-05 08:12

    Looking at the primary fuel filter housing, there is a 1/2" bolt with the word "vent" above it. Is that my "bleeder screw"? I have read elsewhere that I need to unscrew that a bit and push the primer until fuel starts to come out it. Is that correct? Also, I'm not really sure if I know where the primer is...there is a hand sized rubber "bulb" attached to a flat box to the right of the housing, but it doesn't look like it is connected to it in any way. (I apologize, I am not the most mechanically inclined person and without a schematic I don't know the names of all the parts).

  6. #6Delmer2015-05-05 09:32

    I'm not the best guy to ask about a Deutz, but in general there's a lever on the fuel transfer pump, or a 1" diameter knob that unscrews and pops up with a spring that you pump to prime. I don't know what the rubber bulb is, but if you loosen the vent screw a couple turns and squeeze the bulb, you'll either get fuel eventually or you won't. If you don't get any fuel air moving from squeezing the rubber bulb, then start at the tank and follow the fuel line to the engine. There's almost always a priming pump somewhere. If not, you probably need to pressurize the tank with a COUPLE of PSI to push the fuel through.

  7. #7happypainter2015-05-05 20:31

    Thanks for the help guys. I got her running today. I took off the primary and secondary fuel filters and filled them both back up full, then I needed to jump start her as the battery did not seem to have enough juice to get her to turn over hard enough to start. Hopefully won't ever have to worry about that problem again. Thanks again.

  8. #8willie592015-05-05 20:57

    Did you figure out which engine is in that thing?

  9. #9happypainter2015-05-06 07:53

    No, I looked it over and all I can tell is that it's a three cylinder engine. Nothing seems to denote who made it (that I can tell).

  10. #10willie592015-05-06 19:27

    Maybe snap a pic of it and post it here.