Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Really BAD Day

DMiller ยท 2025-01-29 16:58

Happened south of us about 30 miles, farm owned but used commercially out of Leslie MO. Guy was aged pretty well Too Far, had a Med Emergency and lost control of the truck. went thru a set of Concrete Filled Bollards then a full porch roof, thru the wall and hit the woman of the house sadly parked the truck on the Husband. So sad when these events happen but brings to light is a point in time well prior to this to shut off the driving.

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-02-03 23:07

    So sad. There was a guy in his house killed by an errant bullet through a window from a police officer who was firing at a suspect on the run outside. Then there's the drunk drivers who kill someone and get light sentences because they were drunk. A recent one was 5 years in jail and a 5 year year driving ban when he's out. The worst was a guy over 3 times the limit and killed 3 people rear ending them going over 100 MPH. Got 8 years total and was even going to appeal the 8 years. I can't remember if it was him or someone else that appealed their sentence but the judge ended up giving a higher number of years in jail.

  2. #2DMiller2025-02-04 06:22

    Old man will have to live with this for remainder of his life. May lose his farm as unable to earn supplemental income but is a net result of actions and choices. We can all lose as much or more or have our own self imposed cross to bear due to our choices, chosen actions.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2025-02-04 22:13

    We had something similar happen in my area a couple years ago, a driver in a dump trailer had a medical incident and drove the truck through an area bar that I frequented. It was about 11am on a weekday morning before the bar had opened. The owner had been sitting there doing paperwork but for some reason walked out back, that's when the truck came through the building. The upstairs tenant was one of his bartenders and was still in bed from working the night before. She woke up in the back of the trailer still in bed as her bed fell through the floor from the damage. The driver was a fatal from whatever episode he had suffered, fortunately no other injuries. The angels were on duty that morning!

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-02-06 16:10

    Medical emergencies can happen at any age. Here the older you get the more often you need a medical to drive truck. I'm not 55, but have to have a medical every 2 years. Mind you it's a cookie cutter form that the dr blows through for a bit of cash. They are really hard on diabetics though. They need a medical, and eye exam every year.

  5. #5DMiller2025-02-06 17:06

    I am still on standard two year here

  6. #6laidback012025-02-06 17:33

    I must be paying more attention these days... seems like I'm reading about or seeing on YT/BC about medical emergencies taking people down in all kinds of precarious situations - not just earth moving equipment. I figure once we get past 40 - we start noting the mortality of those around us...

  7. #7sled dog2025-02-06 18:06

    The next 5 minutes isn't promised to any of us...

  8. #8Tones2025-02-07 18:54

    Over 75yr old here have to medicals every year to drive cars. I decided that I should keep my CDL so went through a more vigorous test, similar to commercial pilots. BP over 120/80 is unacceptable, just stuck through without medication. Crikey I know people 25yrs younger who couldn't pass that test.Its not always old people who have medical incidents.