My company's 966E has very loud squeaky brakes, it's really loud! I'm not a mechanic, but can be the hero if I can solve this problem. Apparently they've just dealt with it for years. A quick rundown of how they work would be helpful. The pads look good, they just don't seem to want to release all the way after stopping. I see what looks like and adjustment near the brakes. Thanks
Try a bottle of friction modifier. Later Bob
What is the serial number?
94x08303 thanks for any info, I'm running out to see what I can do tomorrow.
Bob, If I am reading it right according to SIS the 94x08303 966E uses drum brakes with wedge brakes so the friction modifier would not a applicable to this loader, now a 980G like we have a few of it works wonders!
You are right. Only for internal brakes. Later Bob
thanks for trying, if anyone else knows about a typical problem or fix, I'd appreciate it
I know this is late but I would remove the backing plates and see what things look like. Not sure the condition this thing is working under but they could be full of dirt or stone. Another thing I be looking for is any signs of oil leaks either from wheel seals or other source getting on shoes. Could even be from a leak that was fixed but left the shoes/linings coated. Would pay to post some nice sharp photos of the inside of the backing plates and shoes and drums.
Thanks for all of the info. I went out to take a look at things today, I backed all of them off a bit, the one that was making the most noise (RR) I backed off even more. That definitely made a difference. It looked like the RR pistons were hanging out of the cylinder more that the rest. As a matter of fact, the boot was off seal. I even bled the brakes in case air might hold something up. I spayed them with some type of brake quiet, which also helped, but I suspect won't last very long. I am going to check into the return springs, that should be the culprit in why they don't pull away from the drums enough, so if anyone knows if changing these springs would help, please let me know, it would be a lot of work, might need a special tool????? Thanks all of your replies so far.
A friend has a IT 28 B that I have to close the windows when he load's me, it is pain full to listen to.
With the backing plates off can you use a bar to work the shoes to tell is they are free on the pins? Just guessing that the pins might be rusted and they are holding the shoos in contact with the drums They should spring back fast, try backing off the adjustment a long way so they are able to move a good amount to know for sure they are not binding. If nice and free be sure to readjust to proper settings. These are wedge brakes right? Could the plungers be hanging up in the spider?
Kinda sounds to me like they are pretty well worn. Those brakes squeal anyway to a certain point but it gets to be more and more as they get adjusted out. Can anyone remember the last time the brakes were rebuilt on that machine.
There is plenty of pad left, apparently this sound started after they were last replaced. I was able to pry the pads, and there seems to be plenty of slack, especially since I backed them off some. By the way, it did help in backing them up. The right rear seemed to be the loudest and the piston didn't retract as much as the others, so I really backed that one off. I think I just did a quick fix, but I don't think I fixed the real problem, anyone know about the return springs?? Thanks. Yes, wedge brakes
Well if problem did start after pads were replaced, I know getting a straight answer is almost impossible at times, then maybe there was a change in the compound of the pads. Were they OEM or after market? I know in car brakes that can be a problem. As far as the springs seems like you should be able to see if they are pulling the shoes all the way back to where you have them adjusted. If they are not then that could be at least part of the problem. Not sure if you could replace with out major dis-assembly. Would need to check SIS.
Sis?