Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Really stupid question- Cat 930

Chubbylumpkin ยท 2013-03-28 22:43

Drained the oil from the transmission case on a 1979 Cat 930 loader. Seems to be standard hydraulic fluid. Does anyone know where you refill the case with hydraulic fluid?

Replies5
  1. #1quackattak2013-03-29 00:02

    there is a little flip up door on left side of cab floor, dip stick is in there also. all kinds of oil has been recommended over the years, 15-40, 30w, 50w, trans hyd. I have used 30w trans and trans hyd oil.

  2. #2Chubbylumpkin2013-03-29 00:07

    Thank you very much! I looked around on the machine for a couple hours and couldn't figure it out.

  3. #3Nige2013-03-29 09:13

    Don't use straight hydraulic oil. You need an oil with the additives in it for transmission clutches, hydraulic oil doesn't meet that and will seriously shorten transmission life. The current spec for that oil is TO-4. Determining what viscosity to use depends on the lowest ambient temperature in which you're going to need to make a cold start. As you're in Nebraska where it's pretty cold I would say an SAE10W TO-4, that will give you cold start capability down to -4 DegF.

  4. #4Chubbylumpkin2013-03-29 15:55

    Thanks for the advice. I needed to get the loader running ASAP, so I put in TO-2 that I had on hand. Running fine now- the little door for filling the oil was covered with a floor mat, so it was hidden. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

  5. #5Nige2013-03-29 17:07

    TO-2 was the spec when the loader was built so an oil meeting that spec will be fine in your 930. I was imagining you having to go out to buy oil and so automatically quoted the latest specification.