Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rear main Cat 247B3

92U 3406 ยท 2017-08-17 21:24

Just wondering if anyone has ever done one before. I've done the rear main seal on the 2.2's before so I'm fine with that part. Just never done it on a 2.2 in a skid steer. Does the engine need to come out or can it be done with the engine in place?

Replies4
  1. #1Austin29432017-08-18 13:33

    Remove the engine, its easier to remove the engine than it is to remove the hydros. Just support hydros with a chain come along of some sort with the cab up. Should be able to have the engine out in a few hours

  2. #292U 34062017-08-18 15:05

    Guess I know for next time lol. Already have the pumps out on the bench. Then found out the engine has to come out anyways to get at the seal . Flywheel housing has to come off as the seal gets sandwiched between it and the engine block. Was hoping the housing would slide out towards the front of the machine but it won't clear without removing the rear engine mount brackets (which are next to impossible to install with the engine in place). Can the engine and pumps be installed as an assembly on these units? Would make life alot easier on the reassembly.

  3. #3Austin29432017-08-22 15:21

    I guess I have never had to remove both assemblies at one time. I would think you would be able to get them to swing in there from the rear! Best of luck.

  4. #492U 34062017-08-22 17:25

    I got it all finished up on Sunday. I did install the engine with the drive pump installed. Had to remove the RH mount bracket from the flywheel housing for clearance. Was a bit of a pain to get the bracket back on afterwards though.