Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rear of cab windshield for CATERPILLAR 320C NOT CLEAR Issues

bill fold · 2020-04-11 22:44

my cat 320c ANB series has a non transparent rear of cab window. I have tried to clean it but it seems the issue is on the inside between two layers of glass. It is almost green! Can it be cleaned and polished or should I replace? If i replace, can I do it myself? Any tips and tricks? Any tips on where to order from besides CAT? Should i replace rubber as well? How can I stop this deterioration from happening? Also, I have a cracked front windshield. Where to buy that? Can i replace myself? Thanks for any help! On a tight budget.

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2020-04-11 23:40

    Sounds like moisture has got in between the glass layers and contaminated the laminate in the centre. If the glass is flat and laminated, with a “rubber insert” type of installation (as opposed to being glued into the frame) then the best people to talk to would be a local auto glass installation company if you have one close by. They would be able to cut replacement laminated glass using the old windows as a pattern and should also have new rubber surround available in rolls to cut to length. Installing glass is not the easiest thing in the world unless you have the correct tools and a bit of previous experience.

  2. #2Welder Dave2020-04-12 00:45

    If the windows are flat fairly easy for an experienced auto glass tech. I bought a used tractor cab with a totally smashed front windshield. Guy took the broken window out in one piece to take back to the shop to use as a template. Came back the next day and put it in about 15 minutes. It was a similar windshield to a backhoe so fairly big.

  3. #3heymccall2020-04-12 01:01

    Front glass, aftermarket, starts around $160, plus freight, plus install. 1566472 is $370 from dealer.

  4. #4heymccall2020-04-12 01:09

    Rear glass is $160 @ dealer.

  5. #5Dgreen42982020-04-12 21:08

    There is a type of safety glass that has a green tint to it, maybe it has been changed before. as for changing it yourself it is not that hard. If it is flat glass and you have the glass just remove it and take it to a glass shop and they will cut you a new piece using it as a template. If you don’t have the glass make a template using cardboard.You don’t have to replace the lock rubber if it is still soft, if it is old and hard it is easier to reinstall the glass if you replace it also but you don’t have to. You can got a roll online for about $50. There is a roller tool that makes the job easier but you don’t have to have it, you can use a couple of plastic pry tools or screwdrivers, you will just have to be more careful and it will take longer to tuck the lock in. Just use a lot of dish soap, it make the rubber lock easier

  6. #6John C.2020-04-14 10:49

    As I recall some rear windows are also a safety exit and have some kind of zipper string that allows you to just pull on it and the glass falls out. I also seem to recall that Cat uses a poly carbonate like Lexan or something similar instead of safety glass.

  7. #7bill fold2020-04-16 20:17

    I am going to have to go back to machine and double check! Yes, I think it has the zipper safety release! dang. Is that hard to reinstall!!??? Buy the gasket from CAT? Always a catch huh? I appreciate the help so far guys!

  8. #8Nige2020-04-16 20:22

    If you find that it's polycarbonate/Lexan you could still get it from an auto glass shop.

  9. #9John C.2020-04-16 22:08

    You can buy Lexan at a Home Depot. I've never had to install a window in the rear of a cab but none of the gasketted windows are hard to do once you pick up the tricks to doing it.

  10. #10Coaldust2020-04-16 22:20

    I’m fairly certain that’s not the original window. It would be a good idea to go genuine Cat and a new seal because both are safety items for the emergency exit. But, your mileage may vary. My risk management folks would advise me to fix it that way.

  11. #11bill fold2020-04-16 23:02

    I took this the other day when I posted the original post

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-04-16 23:22

    If it's lexan it would be fairly easy to kick out in an emergency. My skid steer has a lexan rear window for that purpose. Make sure to get the lexan that doesn't cloud up(yellow) over time. My original window was terrible but replaced it with an anti-yellowing one found at a home center type store.

  13. #13bill fold2020-04-16 23:35

    anti yellowing? is there a name to look for that describes that? i will make a note of that. thanks. - i wonder if i can reuse the factory zipper window rubber?

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-04-16 23:43

    I don't remember the name but it had guarantee not to yellow. If the seal is still pliable can probably be reused. If you've never done it before putting windows can be a struggle. Leave the paper on and just trim enough where it fits in the seal to keep it from getting scratched.

  15. #15Nige2020-04-17 12:10

    Because whatever happens you WILL resort to using screwdrivers to "persuade" the window into place, and you will scratch it the first time your hand slips....

  16. #16Welder Dave2020-04-17 15:33

    That would cause some imaginative cuss words for sure.

  17. #17200lc12020-05-01 12:36

    Funny, where I'm at, it's cheaper to buy laminated safety glass than lexan. You'd be looking for uv resistant coating, which i think is pretty common. I've cleaned up the yellowing and minor scratches on my excavator with plastic polish, works pretty slick. I then clean my lexan(poly-carbonate) windows with household Pledge, fills any scratches and reduces glare when in the sun. Lemony fresh. Learned that trick from light aircraft pilots. Cheers

  18. #18Nige2020-05-01 13:35

    And on top of that laminated safety glass is about 1,000,000% more scratch-resistant than Lexan...........