Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rear ripper and/or winch question….

JDDozerman ยท 2012-12-09 11:29

Can anyone tell me how difficult it might be to install a ripper, or winch, on my Fiat Allis 14C, being it has never had either one on, and it does not have any rear hydraulic outlets. I would like to install one of these, however, I'm afraid it's likely be too "cost prohibitive", because of this fact!??! Thank you for your input! JD Dozerman P.S. If you could give me any input on what it would take (cost, parts, labor) to install rear hydraulic outlets on this dozer, I would really appreciate it as well, thank you kindly!

Replies16
  1. #1Swamp rat2012-12-09 12:55

    To install rear remotes is pretty easy and not that expensive. I did one off my JD 850's not long ago - i picked up another valve spool ( same one that runs the tilt on blade ) and bought some longer bolts to bolt all the spools together. Then made a bracket in the back center plate behind the seat and below the fuel tank that i mounted two quick connect couplings on. Then measured the distance to the new valve to quick connects and made two hoses. I also mounted a ripper from a D-6 dozer on the back and welded a hitch location on the ripper - so if i want or need to pull something else , it can be attached to the back of the ripper. I use the dozer to pull a 30' side dump trailer from time to time as well. To have a free remote for this - i installed two 6,000 psi ball valves on the hoses from the ripper directly behind the qiuck connects - raise the ripper to the hieght i need and then turn the valves off , this will keep the ripper ( Hitch ) at desired height , then release hydraulic pressure on that remote and remove the hoses to the ripper and then hook up hoses to the trailer. I was able to get a valve spool from a burned dozer and i repacked it - didnt cost much for the whole project. I had called dealer for the valve from them and a new one was around $ 700. Total cost with used valve for me was around $ 350 - the high presure valves where the biggest expense , you could probably use lower psi valve and it would save some cost. I wasnt sure how much pressure would be on the lines with the dump trailer loaded and being attached to the back of the ripper , but - i think the psi rating was only 4,000 lbs on the hoses going the the ripper cylinder. Has been working really well.

  2. #2Bruce Higgins2012-12-09 12:56

    We put a ripper on a D6C10K. We plumbed into the tilt cylinder lines with a two way valve. Used a push- pull cable for a PTO to operate it. Worked fine for ripping and dozing and a lot cheaper. I think the valve we used was $125.00 at the time plus lines and fittings. Later moved the ripper to a 6D and used the same parts.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2012-12-09 22:08

    Don't know about FA dozers, but my general experience has been if there isn't pto shaft sticking out the back someone has to get pretty deep into the dozer to install the pto bits for a winch. Cost prohibitive is a good way to put it. Ripper will be easy, but finding one to fit your dozer will probably take time or money. Other than that there are few different ways to run hydros back to the ripper.

  4. #4JDDozerman2012-12-10 10:22

    Thanks guys for the excellent info, I kind of figured the winch would almost surely be just too much trouble, however, I'm very pleased to see that, aside from finding one to fit my dozer, that adding a ripper would not be that difficult! Maybe anyone reading this might just keep an eye out for me, and if you know of one, or find one, I would sure be willing to pay a "bird dog" fee for helping me! I'm not needing one right away, but I would sure like to start looking for one now, because I'm pretty sure it's going to prove to be pretty illusive! I'm wondering though, is there maybe some other make that might not be that hard to adapt to my dozer, like a Cat ripper for instance??? Does anyone have any input on that??? Thanks again for all your assistance, it's greatly appreciated! JD Dozerman

  5. #5oldirt2012-12-10 11:07

    from what I have seen, I am quite sure I could build a ripper for that tractor cheaper than buying a tailor made unit. Hardest part would be making the parallel linkage strong enough.

  6. #6JDDozerman2012-12-10 12:08

    I really appreciate the thought, I would certainly be interested in talking with you further and see if that might be a possibility. Best regards, JD Dozerman

  7. #7Iowan2012-12-18 11:20

    I priced one for my 83 14C from diamond attachments out of oklohoma and it was $8800 shipped.

  8. #8JDDozerman2012-12-20 21:31

    @ Iowan, :jawdrop, :OMG, dang man, that's almost as much as I paid for my dozer in the first place!!! Do you think they would take $4400, for it if I go pick it up???:wink2 I thought I had found a winch for it, a really nice one in fact, and for only $3200, but it turned out to be a p.t.o. driven Hyster winch, so I can't use it. I am having a hard time deciding what to do, mainly because I do have a LOT of land to clear, level, etc., which the ripper would come in handy for, but I also have a LOT of trees to "skid", and I don't really want to buy a skidder right now, so a winch would come in real handy for that! I guess I will just have to see what comes along, that I can afford! :duh Thanks for the info, Iowan, also, do you have any pictures of your dozer, I would sure love to see it?!?! Maybe we can even get together sometime and swap "war stories", I'm in northcentral Missouri, so I may not be too far from ya, in fact I may be coming to southern Iowa quite a bit, cause there is a band in that area that wants me to play drums for them, they are from Centerville, IA.. Anyhow, thanks again, take care, hope you're staying warm, and safe, in this snow storm we're having today! DANG it's COLD, BLOWIN' LIKE A SON OF A BUCK, ICY, and SLICKER than SNOT, around here!!!!! :OMG JD Dozerman

  9. #9D6 Merv2012-12-21 02:31

    It should have a pto drive on it. FA 10 and 14 had a low mounted pto drive coming out the bottom of the bevel gear case. Does your tractor have a low mounted cover on the rear bevel gear case ? Should be a shaft on the back of the trans that the winch pto shaft slides up in through this hole and mates with the splines. The FA 10 and 14 i saw had carco F50ps winchs on them. I looked at one of the winchs, but the low shaft mounting was no use to me. Shaft is usually a high mounting for most other dozers. Also someone over here got there hands on some new cheap Hyster W6F winchs off some FA tractor ;probably a 14; but modified the mountings and drive box to suit other tractors. So yes there are winchs for them; but the problem is to find one that was a original fitment for a 14C Hyster W6F serial number original fitment for a 14C is A46. is a series of numbers for winch s/n starting with W6FPxxxxxxxxxxA46.

  10. #10D6 Merv2012-12-21 15:22

    That hyster winch you found for $3200 is cheap. real cheap tell me more about it, might be able to help you. New W6F/G is something like 70k.

  11. #1102Dmax2012-12-21 16:11

    JDDozerman I know where there's a ripper that came off a Fiat but I know it came off a 145 or 175 which is newer than yours. Might have to make some new mounting holes or something. IS there anyway you could measure your hole placement and I'll measure this thing. I'm not too far way either. Over by the kansas/nebraska line in MO.

  12. #1202Dmax2012-12-21 16:36

    Seen this? Its small enough you could about have this and a ripper if you find a good fab man! lol

  13. #13JDDozerman2012-12-21 22:42

    @ D6 Merv, and O2Dmax, thank you very kindly for the great info, expertise, and assistance, I'm going to try and post a pic of the rear of my dozer so you can see what I have there. IF I'm understanding D6 Merv, maybe the pto shaft is "hiding" behind the rear plate:beatsme Also, O2Dmax, the Hyster winch I found for $3200.00, is off a 14C (that appears to be identicle to mine, except for the C-frame blade set up), and thus I am wondering WHY I don't see a pto shaft on mine The only thing is, the winch is in Florida, so I would have to find a way to get it here. I will also try to post a pic of it as well. It looks to be in great shape, with LOTS of good line on it! Anyway here goes, I hope I can get these pics to load up right!:Banghead Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it! Oh and by the by, O2Dmax, I'm just 8 miles East of Hwy 63 at Jacksonville (north central Missouri). Well, my #$%*&*$*# computer won't upload the pics, so I will try later, but again, I'm assuming maybe the shaft in either behind the rear plate, or maybe even under it, is that correct? JD Dozerman

  14. #14D6 Merv2012-12-22 02:36

    Is a hole behind the plate.short stub shaft from trans is there. Long shaft is on the winch that goes through the hole and mates with the stub shaft with a female splined adapter. If winch was off a 14C, pounce on it, you wont get another for that price, obviously depends on how much you need a winch, or if rippers are better for you.

  15. #15JDDozerman2012-12-22 16:47

    Okay, let's try this again,:guns IF I'm successful, the first pick will be the rear of my 14C, the next pics will be of the Hyster winch I can purchase for $3200. Rear of my dozer, D6 Merv, is the p.t.o. shaft behind this plate, or maybe behind where the hitch is bolted on? :beatsme Hyster winch, with cable and hook, I can get for $3200 winch as it currently sits on another 14C FINALLY success at last!!!!!:drinkup Maybe now you all can help me figure out if I have a p.t.o. hiding some place!??! Thanks for all your help! JD Dozerman

  16. #16D6 Merv2012-12-22 17:15

    Yes behind that towing hitch 'should' be the pto hole. You will have to take it off to check. You will probably have to drain trans oil first. Don,t know anything really about 14s. But do know about the winchs. And the pto shaft on them was mounted about that low location. This is why they were only good for a 10 or 14. no good for anything else. Shine a torch in the hole, there should be a small stub pto shaft in there for the winch shaft to connect to. If im wrong about the hole; well the winch is no use anyway !! Winch is definetly a W6F. Very good strong solid winch. Was in production for 30 plus years ! Looked in my winch book. these had a 3 gear drop box to a low pto mounting alright.