Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7-3t friend snapped cross shaft

Iwegian ยท 2012-12-09 14:48

Any hints as to pulling this? he has the left side steering clutch and brake already removed the main cross shaft is snapped at the hub that holds steering parts. Whats the process for pulling the complete shaft. He does not have a book and is not a computer guy so I said I would inquire. Already told him he should buy a book but budget is tight I guess. Thanks. Dave

Replies9
  1. #1Scrub Puller2012-12-09 15:23

    Yair . . . Iwegian If by "cross-shaft" you mean the bevel gear shaft I suggest the cost of a manual may be the least of your friends worries. I am not familiar with the procedure on the old sevens but have had the misfortune to be involved with that repair on several Allis's. It will be a big job and the other clutch and brake needs to come out and maybe the tranny. The problem is setting the lash, clearance and print pattern on the bevel gear and pinion . . . if he wants to do it right. If not and he just wants it to drive good enough to sell it . . . well okay, I don't suppose it matters. To do it right he will a manual, a tube of bearing blue, a selection of the correct shims and plenty of patience, time and good intentions. All the best with it and cheers.

  2. #2DPete2012-12-09 18:48

    Worked on alot of older D8s I'm sure a 7 is the same I think you will need to remove the other steering clutch, flange, release yokes and cross shaft bearing cages. Unbolt the bevel gear and slide the shaft out thru the case. Bevel gear stays until you get the shaft out then you can remove the gear straight up thru the case with the center cover removed. Keep track of the shims RE: how many on each side, this gives you a starting point for the install. When installing set the preload on the shaft without the gear so you can turn it( you do not need the seals or Orings in the cages yet), once the preload is set disassemble and put the gear in the case and slide the shaft thru and bolt up, now you need to set the backlash by moving shims from one side to the other to get the correct lash, when you have it done remove the cages one more time and install seals and orings finally tighten cage bolts, press on flanges and you're on your way. Been 30 years since I did one somebody will probably add or subtract from my post.

  3. #3theironoracle2012-12-09 20:53

    dpete, how do you add the picture to left margin or the note to the bottom of the reply i.e. (we can dig it)..........theironoracle

  4. #4DPete2012-12-09 21:31

    PM sent

  5. #5Old Magnet2012-12-09 21:55

    DPete, Pretty good 30 yr. memory there. If just replacing the cross shaft, things aren't quite so bad and can get by with just reestablishing backlash between gear in pinion plus preloads. It's when the gear set needs to be replaced that special tooling to set up the pinion is required, or lots of stabs with the transmission in and out to get the proper mesh. Not a fun job any way ya look at it.

  6. #6Iwegian2012-12-09 23:01

    Thanks for the input guys. I got a chance to look at his dozer today not for long though its outside and cold and windy here. Sounds pretty straight forward and I have set backlash on car rear ends. I will encourage him to invest in a service manual also. One question are there any special pullers or press needed for this job? Thanks for all the response so far. Dave

  7. #7Nige2012-12-10 07:49

    Doesn't necessarily require a complete Service Manual. If you PM me with the Serial Number of the machine I will do my best to download the procedure for replacing the shaft & adjusting the backlash for you. Any "special tools" required will be listed in the procedure. When you look at the photos you'll often find that some if not all of them you can actually make yourself. Also give me an e-mail address to send it to because it will be too big to post here.

  8. #8DPete2012-12-10 09:45

    Yes on the pullers and presses, you may have to find a mechanic with the tooling, it takes a porta power with a short ram, big H bar, 2 long legs, a horseshoe looking spacer to press the flanges on.When removing the flange just back the nut off a little it will keep the flange under control when it pops loose. If you have to cut the bearings off the shaft to get clearance to remove the shaft then you will need to install the bearings with the shaft in the case ( heat bearings sparingly with torch), if this happens be sure the bevel gear is in place, you can block it or tie it so the shaft will freewheel while setting the preload.

  9. #9D6c10K2012-12-10 14:39

    When I did the cross shaft bearings in my D6c I was able to rent the hydraulic tools from the local Cat dealer....think they charged me a little over $100 for a weekend use.