Just wanted to remind eveyone doing demo work with concrete to be very careful around rebar. I know you are all professionals and are more aware of this problem than I am but because of an accident at my site I wanted to remind you. A crew with an excavator and dozer were tearing down my aunt's old house. The excavator was digging up the footing and a dozer was pusing up the concrete in a pile. The dozer operator with 30 years experience had a section of rebar pop up and go through his leg just above the ankle. It did not hit bone or major blood vessels and the emergency room fixed him up and he was back at work the next day. Had he been hit someplace besides the leg this could have been tragic. Keep your guard up.
Another operator that has been in a bar fight and has scars to prove it.
Sorry to hear about this eRay and thanks for the reminder to be careful. Glad to hear the op was soon back to work. Rebar is truely dangerous what ever machine you are on around or near.
Bar fight??? Oh... I get it. ointlaugh I'm getting better... that one didn't take near as long to sink in...good one. Seriously though... you're all right about the hazzerd... tearing up old machinery...and even loading scrap iron with a thumb and bucket... lots of metal pieces can come flying... I know! OCR
My experience with rebar was a good one. I was torch cutting a piece that I thought was bent, but 2 tons of concrete was holding it . It let loose and smashed me in the face, knocked out 2 teeth, broke my nose, broke my eye socket, and i had a concussion.
Some lessons are a little harder than others, but you will remember them longer.I'll bet you're never careless around rebar again.
That's nasty! A few years back my bro was moving houses....he went to jump off the trailer into the grass and a piece of 5 bar was poking up....he landed on it and it went right through his foot and stuck out the top about 4 inches....it was horrendous! He was alone waiting for his boss for almost an hour and a half before the could cut it and get him to town....
A truck driver was tightening a load of sawn timber on his trailer , the snap downs were on the top of the load . He threw the cheater pipe over the side and did not see it stick in the ground standing up . He climbed down the side of the load and jumped backwards the rest of the way I get a pain every time i think of it , they were able to fix him after a few ops .
Definately a good warning to give out. Its nasty stuff for sure. I've never seen it draw blood but I have seen a machine pick up rebar in its tracks and trip two passers by up, they were laughing but could have been worse.
You will especially in the department you work in, just be careful