Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuidling Grouser OTT’s???

JD8875 ยท 2011-11-14 18:13

Just getting started in the business every dollar has to count. So here is my dilemma... I got a bargain on a set of grouser two bar tracks a little over a year ago, after running them a while I've learned the inside lugs are worn almost slick in places, where the tire pulls on the track. My thought is to add 3/8" x3/16" bar stock on the inside of the pad to rebuild the bars for the tires to bite on, thus reducing or eliminating the tire slippage in the track. My fear is pulling the new bars off the track and ruining a $200 tire. Any thoughts???? Anybody ever done something similar? Thanks John

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952011-11-14 19:58

    I have never worn a set of OTT's out to the point that the inside bars needed any re-building. I have had #4 rebar welded to the outside grousers when the tracks worn thin. After everything was said and done (paying a welder to build up the outside grousers) and the fact that the dog bones and bushings were wore as well, it would have been more economical to buy a new set. Not that I am suggesting you buy a new set, I still have the old ones with the #4 welded on them sitting in the weeds, next to the newer set of OTT"s I bought to replace them. Have you put the OTT's on an had a slippage problem? If you weld the flat bar onto the inside well, I don't see it coming off. Of course new tires help as well.

  2. #2JD88752011-11-15 13:03

    I've run them some last year, and just put them on for the winter. I use the machine mostly for pushing brush and handling logs in a firewood cutting operation. The tracks are great in the fall and winter when the ground gets soft. When pushing hard now and then I notice the tires spin inside the tracks. I've got 90% tires and about 2" of sag in the tracks. The tracks were well worn when I got them, (read $500 craigslist bargain) the insides of most of the bars have no "lip" left for the tire to bite on. Thanks John

  3. #3CM19952011-11-15 18:26

    The tires will have some slippage (even the new OTT's) when pushing hard or in deep mud, just the nature of the contraption. It still puzzles me that the inside grip bars have worn down. Have they been built up on the outside? The reason I ask is obviously the outside grousers take the brunt of the abuse and to wear out the inside without being rebuilt on the outside is interesting. Post a pic of what they look like when you get a chance.

  4. #4mitch5042011-11-15 21:39

    First, like normal, I DO NOT know what I am talking about, I have about 10 hrs skidsteer experience in a 26 yr career. If they had been run on slick tires, or too loose, so that the tires were frequently spinning, wouldn't this wear out the insides first? I know this isn't something a competent man would do, but....

  5. #5franklinute2011-11-16 10:44

    I own a couple set of Grouser tracks. I understand what you mean when in a wet muddy situation and the tires spin in the track. I think this condition tells you to reduce the load the skid steer is pushing or let up on the throttle and try to eliminate tire spin which causes the raised track edges to wear. If you still want more traction you could try to tighten the track a little but then the bushings and bolts wear faster. We used to run Loegering tracks and there was a large welded bead on the inside of each metal pad to aid traction. When this got smooth we put a bead of weld there and it helped. The Grouser is a different type of metal you might be able to run a good bead on the bar to gain more grip from the tire. It may be worth trying to reduce tire pressure then tighten the track a little where the tire can grab to the track bars better.