Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuild Deere 450B turbo- DIY?

Labparamour · 2019-01-03 17:06

Deere 450B trackloader. 4219CT Engine type 229159T Ser #. I had the hose off between the compressor side and intake manifold. (Had the hardnose off to work on water pump and radiator and adjust valves). I noticed a black oil film on the inside of the turbo outlet. The engine isn’t bad for oil consumption. I’m going to finish current repairs and work the machine but, looks like turbo bearings and seals may be in future. I’d like to do it myself. Am I asking for trouble? Thanks, Darryl

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2019-01-03 17:49

    If you are thinking about replacing the seals & bearings in the turbo cartridge yourself then yes, you are asking for trouble IMHO.

  2. #2Junkyard2019-01-03 18:38

    Price the cartridge for it, assuming it’s one you can repair that way. It may not be too bad. When you consider the rpm’s a turbo runs at and the damage one can do if it lets loose......yikes. I’ve seen it first hand.

  3. #3Labparamour2019-01-03 20:53

    Thanks guys. Given the risk/benefit you’ve both mentioned, guess I’ll be pm’ing thepumpguysc for shipping address. Darryl

  4. #4Wes J2019-01-03 22:15

    Rebuilding a plain old turbo is pretty simple. All of the components are individually balanced so nothing has to be timed. Just take it apart, put the new goodies in, and put it back together. VGT turbos are obviously more complex, but still possible to rebuilt. The biggest issue is getting the parts to rebuild one. You'll need bearings and seals, but they are all proprietary. Popular turbos, like those used on pickups, have aftermarket sources that are very reasonable.

  5. #5Labparamour2019-01-04 09:29

    Wes, Thanks for the reply. I’m still weighing options and looking for parts sources. Opinions are kinda running 30/70 about me doing the work. I’d be willing to try, just don’t want it to grenade if I mess something up. Darryl

  6. #6Bluox2019-01-04 11:50

    You might check your air filter and intake for restrictions . Also check engine breather and hose or tube for restrictions . Either of these will cause a turbo to weep oil. Good luck Bob

  7. #7Labparamour2019-01-04 20:25

    Thanks for those suggestions. I’ll recheck the filter but, I’d serviced it not too long back and the restriction indicator was in the green. I just had the valve cover off and the breather looked good. Given her age and that the previous owner hadn’t shown her much love, the turbo is probably due for o’haul. Have a good weekend all! Darryl

  8. #8Labparamour2019-01-04 21:40

    Also, Thepumpguysc was great and helped me with part numbers and some tips for o’haul- Much appreciated!! Darryl

  9. #9Labparamour2019-03-14 11:14

    Morning, Though I’d post a follow-up. Tried a search of cartridge pt # and only found (perhaps my poor internet skills) the site in Madrid. Did find a new, no core required turbo at All States Ag Parts for $500. Seemed the best route given concerns posted about turbo repairs. Replaced the oil lines to it at the same time. The fitting from hose to brass reducer into the block was a bear! Steel to brass was tight and wouldn’t take a wrench without slipping. Tried brass fitting into the block- that sheared off!!! Easyout a no-go- not much room for wrench and didn’t want to break easyout. Made a plug to put shop air into valve cover to blow air out of broken fitting while using a jigsaw blade in visegrips to make relief cuts in brass fitting. It worked- swarf blew out hole. Then, used straight fluted easyout to spin out. Fresh oil and filter and we’re looking good. I’m rebuilding the steering assist cylinders now and redoing some hydraulic lines. Thankfully this is only a hobby/small farm machine. My hat is off to you guys that do this full time in all weather. Thanks again, Darryl

  10. #10Tones2019-03-14 12:42

    I had to replace a turbo on a 4045 JD engine, went down the JD reman/exchange route with warranty. Cost $1500 and had the part on and working in 24 hours.

  11. #11Labparamour2019-03-14 15:48

    Ouch! Yeah, I don’t work that fast and I’m cheap I was in no hurry and this 70’s machine’s worth is probably just scrap value. Was a Craigslist purchase 5 years ago. Every repair is an adventure. I’m trying keep costs low.