Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuild Pics

Chris91786 ยท 2009-08-05 17:21

These are all rebuilds dating back to maybe mid 2007. I have a ton of pics from each machine, way too many to post. If you want to see something specific, lemme know. 16G, we did 4 of them that were going over to build some huge road deal in Africa:

Replies135
  1. #1Chris917862009-08-05 17:23

    Old 826C:

  2. #2Chris917862009-08-05 17:25

    836G for Volusia County, getting it's third life. This machine we did, CAT did some special feature on it at their recent trash convention deal:

  3. #3Chris917862009-08-05 17:27

    988 going overseas for Cargill Inc:

  4. #4Chris917862009-08-05 17:30

    990 for Junction City Mining:

  5. #5Chris917862009-08-05 17:32

    D10R for Seminole Electric:

  6. #6Chris917862009-08-05 17:34

    992G for Florida Rock:

  7. #7Chris917862009-08-05 17:36

    992G continued:

  8. #8Chris917862009-08-05 17:38

    We just finished 4 130G Motor Graders for the Military (Don't have any pics sadly) Currently we are doing rebuilds on a D6R, 826G, and a D7G for the military.

  9. #9cps2009-08-05 18:23

    Great Pictures Chris! Some great work, keep them coming!

  10. #10Dountman2009-08-05 18:44

    Sweet Pictures! How long do these rebuilds take?

  11. #11Chris917862009-08-05 18:48

    All depends on the size of the machine, and the condition. Most of them take 30-60 days since they are complete rebuilds.

  12. #12EZ TRBO2009-08-05 22:17

    Awesome pics Chris...We just aquired a 988G that we are planning on running for 3 to 4 years, after our HE mech gets done with it, then having a full re-build done on that. Thanks for sharing. Trbo

  13. #13D5G2009-08-06 15:04

    I take it Cargill's 988 is headed to a salt mine? Great pics, cool to see the rebuilds.

  14. #14Chris917862009-08-06 17:41

    Yea, a salt mine somewhere in Central America

  15. #15D5G2009-08-06 17:50

    wow, they have a lot of mines, I thought they were all in the US, tho.

  16. #16MrKomatsu2009-08-06 18:05

    nice job chris...that is some outstanding work..ican see that you and your people take pride in this profession......:usa::usa:drinkup:drinkup

  17. #17JD9545R2009-08-07 00:02

    Thanks for the interesting pics, Chris! You mention that you have more.....please post if you don't mind. I'm not picky....any model will satisfy.

  18. #18bigblueox2009-08-07 18:19

    yes i would love to see some more of the 10

  19. #19Chris917862009-08-07 19:23

    Here is some more of the D10

  20. #20Chris917862009-08-07 19:26

    And one more:

  21. #21Chris917862009-08-07 19:34

    Here's some more of the 16G:

  22. #22Chris917862009-08-07 19:39

    And some more of the 992G:

  23. #23Chris917862009-08-07 19:51

    Here's some more from the 836G:

  24. #24bill53622009-08-07 20:37

    Chris very nice pics thanks for sharing, is this the main work you shop does? That is some very nice work.

  25. #25Chris917862009-08-07 21:18

    Not really, we get a lot of other work, but rebuilds aren't the majority of our work. We probably average 6 or so complete rebuilds a year.

  26. #26PonyExpress942009-08-07 22:07

    Chris those pictures are awesome. Those machines look brand new!!! Excellent work and keep the pictures coming.

  27. #27D5G2009-08-07 23:42

    Its really cool to see all that goes into these rebuilds, it gives you a whole new appreciation. Thanks for sharing!

  28. #28Wolf2009-08-08 02:22

    What a cool operation. And some great pictures too. Thanks for posting.

  29. #29DPete2009-08-08 16:11

    That's quite a shop, all first class

  30. #30bigblueox2009-08-08 19:48

    do yall use a steam jenny or just a pressure washer to strip and clean. any more pics of the shop. Looks like a to rate place! i would love to have an overhead crane. any idea what they are rated at? thanks.

  31. #31Chris917862009-08-09 09:50

    The overheads are rated at 10 ton in our shop, but in the power systems shop, they are 15 tons. The washrack has both, fire hoses, and pressure washers. Not sure how many pics I have, I'll see.

  32. #32Chris917862009-08-09 09:53

    This is aerial view. I don't have any more on my computer, but I can take some if you want to see some more.

  33. #33bigblueox2009-08-09 09:58

    you make me jealous! sounds like a sweet place to work!

  34. #34Chris917862009-08-09 09:58

    Yea, Ring Power is a good company to work for.

  35. #35Chris917862009-08-09 18:49

    Here are some more from the 990:

  36. #36Chris917862009-08-09 18:56

    And more from the 826C:

  37. #37Chris917862009-08-09 19:01

    And more

  38. #38Chris917862009-08-09 19:07

    This is an 836H for Waste Management that caught on fire:

  39. #39Chris917862009-08-09 19:11

    More:

  40. #40Chris917862009-08-09 19:13

    And more:

  41. #41Chris917862009-08-09 19:19

    826G currently in progress now:

  42. #42EGS2009-08-09 20:20

    Wow that is real undertaking! Maybe some weekend you could come up here and rebuild my 385.

  43. #43Chris917862009-08-09 20:27

    lol it would take a lot more than a weekend

  44. #44EGS2009-08-09 21:37

    Do you guys ever rebuild any back-hoe's?

  45. #45Chris917862009-08-09 22:06

    Nah, I can't think of one that we have done. We mainly do the bigger stuff, but I'm sure we could easily do one.

  46. #46Steve Frazier2009-08-09 22:52

    It probably wouldn't make economic sense to commercially rebuild a relatively inexpensive backhoe. By the time you were done paying for the refurb, you'd probably be very close to the purchase price of a new one.

  47. #47JDMGrading2009-08-10 00:35

    How about the larger excavators 365? 385?

  48. #48Chris917862009-08-10 06:16

    We have done a 345 but nothing bigger. It would be cool though.

  49. #49EGS2009-08-10 11:09

    I guess what I meant was the bigger backhoes like 5110, 5130, etc.

  50. #50tippatone2009-08-10 12:22

    WOW that's great work Chris, you and your guys should be taken out for a round of cold ones:drinkup got anymore 16G or any other motor graders pics? Do you guys work on any scrapers?

  51. #51Chris917862009-08-10 17:11

    Thanks. Yea, I have some more pics from the 16G, I'll post them in a little. We do work on a lot of scrapers. We rebuilt a 631 for some coal plant near Tampa, don't have any pics though.

  52. #52dist32009-08-10 17:44

    I think certified rebuilds done thru Cat dealers are only on certain machines. Our service salesperon told me excavators weren't on the list for the rebuilds. A 245 was in there shop but wouldn't receive new serial numbers when completed.

  53. #53MrKomatsu2009-08-10 18:04

    wow that is strange about the cat dealere limiting the types of certified rebuilds....At Komatsu we offer certified rebuilds on all of the machines......i've bn involved in many rebuilds...

  54. #54Chris917862009-08-10 18:49

    It's not up to the dealers, it's up to CAT. And yes, there are only certain machines, for some stupid reason, that qualify for a certified rebuild.

  55. #55tippatone2009-08-10 18:56

    Hey Chris, just curious, where did you go to learn your trade?

  56. #56Chris917862009-08-10 19:29

    I went through the Apprentice Program at Ring Power.

  57. #57tippatone2009-08-10 20:20

    How long it take for you to complete? I have much respect for the heavy equipment techs. The way you guys tear down/rebuild is cool.

  58. #58tippatone2009-08-11 12:54

    Never mind, I just checked out the website and I saw it was two years.

  59. #59optherockman2009-08-12 01:37

    Great pics , maybe you could help with my 320b L. LOL

  60. #60sidry2009-08-12 13:40

    Wonderful pictures and a very very nice rebuild of the machines!

  61. #61Chris917862009-08-12 17:25

    Send it our way

  62. #62Chris917862009-08-13 19:21
  63. #63Chris917862009-08-13 19:26

    More:

  64. #64tippatone2009-08-13 22:17

    SWEET!!! Thats what im talking about, I gotta say there is nothing greater than a Cat grader.

  65. #65brubro2009-08-13 22:24

    Nice work! In case it's not obvious, I'm trying to get to three posts as a newbie so that I can post a Q about my problem. You did do nice work though, that is sincere!

  66. #66Knucklehead2009-08-14 03:16

    Did we have coolant leak!!!!!!!

  67. #67oldirt2009-08-16 13:14

    chris, great pictures. Looking at the ones of the D10R, I was wondering what gets replaced or rebuilt when you take the machine down to the frame rails like that. Must be cheaper than selling it for salvage and buying new? That looks like a monster job to me.

  68. #68Chris917862009-08-16 15:56

    Pretty much everything gets rebuilt, like the hydraulic valves, powertrain, cylinders, cab, basically the entire machine. A 2nd life for the machine is must cheaper than buying a new machine, plus the machines get a new warranty on them.

  69. #69tippatone2009-08-22 10:06

    Hey Chris anything new come through the shop?

  70. #70Chris917862009-08-22 15:20

    Just finished up an 826 G, I'll get some of the pics this week. We have a D10R comming in for a complete rebuild soon, some D7F's, and also another 826G.

  71. #71tippatone2009-08-22 15:40

    Can't wait to see the D10R and D7F's, you guys really do outstanding work.

  72. #72Chris917862009-09-24 18:36

    Got some new rebuild pics coming soon

  73. #73CAT D9H2009-09-24 19:01

    Awesome pics I think that would be a fun job, Why is it that you get an older machine , like that 16G with the old C logo , after you rebuild them they get rebadged with the newer Cat logos, why dont you put old C logo decals back on ?

  74. #74Chris917862009-09-26 15:02

    Not quite sure why the paint shop does that

  75. #75Chris917862009-09-28 18:51

    Got another D10R coming in tomorrow for a complete rebuild. I need to get some new pics up here, I got a ton of them to post.

  76. #76Chris917862009-10-05 19:25

    Only got 1 pic of the D10R we started on last week, more to come

  77. #77Ross2009-10-05 21:07

    Nice Job ... Nice W/Shops as well .. Done a few Rebuild .. Complete teardown/Rebuild .. D11R's .. 24H/M graders .. A good crew can tear a D11 down in 3-4 days. Takes alot longer to get it back in fresh paint tho. Any Pictures of the Track-Frame rebuilds?

  78. #78Chris917862009-10-06 19:20

    Yea, I'll have to dig through the masses of photos I have. We got the D10 to the frame and the frame out of the shop in 3 days, also the cab to the frame, 2 guys, not too bad.

  79. #79Ross2009-10-07 10:33

    Aye done a few D10's as well .. One D10R and the rest were D10T's .. The 11's take a little longer to rip down as the components are more bulky. Worst one was a D8R-II Diff-Steer Swamp Buggy . Nasty!

  80. #80carlm933g2009-10-23 13:03

    You guys do nice work. I'm surprised that with the cost of parts and labor that it is worth doing these total rebuilds. I guess that it only makes sense on the larger machines because it seems that the smaller machines hardly ever get full rebuilds. BTW, Do you have any more pics?

  81. #81EZ TRBO2009-10-24 08:46

    We run 988F's in our quarries, with one 988G and just a month ago sent one of the F's out for a complete re-build. When you can spend 300K and get a CAT certified complete on a machine its much more cost efficient than spending over TWICE that amount for a brand new loader. Trbo

  82. #82Chris917862009-10-25 17:29

    Yea, I have a ton of pics I still need to post, I just haven't gotten around to bringing my camera back from work and uploading. I will try this week.

  83. #83EGS2009-10-25 18:00

    Did you guys send it up to Fabco for the re-build?

  84. #84Cat_325L2009-10-25 21:56

    Awsome work! Pics are sweet

  85. #85Krafty2009-12-08 21:53

    Man that is some awsome work. Any new updates?

  86. #86CAT7932009-12-09 02:34

    VERY COOL thread........Throughly enjoyed it! Are the Engine rebuilt in house? OR REMAN Do they go out with NEW Machine Serial No.? Do you see a lot of LOW Hour issues with such a comprehensive OverHaul (Filters Plugged,Low Power etc)? Cheers

  87. #87Chris917862009-12-15 18:25

    Yea the engines are built at the engine shop. Some get new serial numbers, some don't, just depends on if its a certified CAT rebuild or not. Don't see too many low hour issues really, sometimes the trans filter bypass comes on because we have clean out filters on it while we run the machine and test it, then we change out the filters.

  88. #88Chris917862009-12-15 18:28

    Ok I finally got around to getting pics on my computer of the last 2 D10R rebuilds. This one was from St. John's River Power Park:

  89. #89Chris917862009-12-15 18:31

    More....

  90. #90Chris917862009-12-15 18:33

    More..

  91. #91Chris917862009-12-15 18:36

    More...

  92. #92Chris917862009-12-15 18:38

    And more..

  93. #93Chris917862009-12-15 18:43

    And more.......

  94. #94Chris917862009-12-15 18:46

    Finally..

  95. #95Chris917862009-12-15 18:48

    This D10R is one we did for White Springs Agricultural PCS Phosphate:

  96. #96Chris917862009-12-15 18:50

    More.

  97. #97Chris917862009-12-15 18:52

    More..

  98. #98Chris917862009-12-15 18:55

    More...

  99. #99Chris917862009-12-15 18:57

    And more

  100. #100Chris917862009-12-15 18:59

    And more...

  101. #101Chris917862009-12-15 19:01

    More........

  102. #102Chris917862009-12-15 19:03

    More....

  103. #103Chris917862009-12-15 19:05

    Finally:

  104. #104dist32009-12-15 19:07

    Chris , Thanks for the updated pictures. Nice work!

  105. #105EGS2009-12-15 19:22

    Very nice work! What is the screen for in the last pic?

  106. #106Chris917862009-12-15 19:25

    Thanks. The screen is for the backup camera.

  107. #107tonka2009-12-15 21:14

    wow cool thread, nice work chris!

  108. #108Jeffksf2009-12-15 21:20

    The 10R with the coal blade looks Bad *** in black:notworthy I love this thread, will be checking back.

  109. #109joep2009-12-15 21:39

    These posts are awesome i cant wait to work on projects like these

  110. #110pbean2009-12-16 05:47

    I noticed they keept the tires on that loader in the paint booth and taped them up is it a trick they use because i have never got tape to stick on a tire cool pics thanks for sharing

  111. #111bigrus2009-12-16 07:34

    Black Commonsense with the back of the blade in black- easier vision (no reflection under lights) Satin black inside the cab does the same plus makes the operator feel cooler when working hot climates (both my machines cabs are like that )

  112. #112t_dirt2009-12-16 16:29

    How does the cost of a complete rebuild compare to buying new?? So....The customer has already paid for the machine, wrote it off over the life of the machine and now spends what % to have a "new" machine?? Can they finance the rebuild and write of the cost ?? I agree with Jeffksf(he is a great operator) that the yellow/black looks AWESOME!!!! MORE PICS!!!!

  113. #113tonka2009-12-16 16:52

    Looks like the tape is only stuck to the paper...:beatsme

  114. #114Chris917862009-12-16 18:04

    It's a lot cheaper to rebuild the machine than it is to buy new. Not sure how exactly the finances are paid, if it's a municipality they aren't paying for anything, the tax payers are.

  115. #115pbean2009-12-16 21:02

    Its only stuck to the paper but they must tape to the outside edge ofthe wheels.I always take the tires off of things before i paint but that looks alot easier. bet they go through some masking paper!!!!and tape!!!!!

  116. #116Chris917862009-12-20 19:30

    Yea, that's how they do it.

  117. #117YoungOne2009-12-21 00:23

    Love this thread! Read every page! Are the machines taken outside the shop. And tested underload. To make sure they perform properly again? Or just sent on their way. Curious! Michael

  118. #118DoosanFan2009-12-21 02:24

    Where in Africa did those 4 16G graders go to Chris?

  119. #119Chris917862009-12-21 18:07

    Oh yea, we take them to the back where we have a big dirt pile and run them harder than the customers every will. We probably put 8-12 hours on them before they leave to go back to the customers, just to verify that everything is in working order: basically performance test the machine (cycle times, pressures, and that kinda stuff).

  120. #120Chris917862009-12-21 18:10

    Not sure, they just told use that they were going to some giant road project that was gonna go from one side of Africa to another. I also think it had to do with some big mining operation or somthing like that.

  121. #121Chris917862009-12-29 17:29

    We have an 826G coming in in Jan. for a complete rebuild, maybe another D-10 R in Feb.

  122. #122tippatone2009-12-29 17:58

    That is some impressive work Chris........I like the black tracks on that D10......keep the pics coming

  123. #123Chris917862010-01-07 17:51

    826G will be here tomorrow for a complete rebuild

  124. #124t_dirt2010-01-07 18:29

    Pics man, WE need PICS!!!!

  125. #125caterpillar722010-03-28 21:28

    :iagree:update i want to see the pics of the rebuilds

  126. #126DoosanFan2010-03-29 06:14

    Let me see if I can't wrack my brains for where they would be building a road like that... Probably somewhere central Africa. Cool pics man

  127. #127Redbug2010-04-10 17:04

    Just wondering Chris, The tractors that come in burned from fire...how does that affect the rebuilding job? That is...I always thought fire would ruin the characteristics, (hardness, brittleness), of the metal. Re-temper the parts that require a certain metal hardness? What do you guys do?

  128. #128Chris917862010-04-16 22:16

    If anything is in question, it gets replaced.

  129. #129Redbug2010-04-17 08:38

    Thanks Chris. Something I was wondering.

  130. #130Chris917862010-05-01 10:35

    We have 6 777's coming in for completes soon

  131. #131tippatone2010-05-01 10:47

    Those are the off-highway mining trucks right?

  132. #132Chris917862010-05-03 19:50

    correct

  133. #133tippatone2010-05-04 09:20

    How big is the shop? You guys sure have alot of room to get those 777's in there.

  134. #134Chris917862010-05-04 20:27

    He have prob 30 bays or so in our Main Shop

  135. #135CATD7R2010-05-05 00:07

    Great thread Chris91786 thanks for posting all this stuff you guy's do really good work! -Jeremy