Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuilding 580C cylinders

DirtyHoe ยท 2016-08-27 19:31

Tore into the stabilizer cylinders and they are not going to let me get off easy. The rod is bent and needs replaced. Also, it scuffed up the piston and barrel, but I think I can get it honed out. What is the maximum it can be honed out without going to big? The other cylinder is in good shape except for a dent in the barrel( smaller that a quarter in size). It's not damaging the piston, but you can see and feel it. How can the dent be removed? I was thinking about turning a round plug a few thousands smaller than the bore, heating the spot up with a torch and pressing the plug past the dent. Bad idea or any other suggestions? It's around 16 inches down in the bore and would be hard to get to with a die grinder. Also, how come none of the cylinders have a static o-ring seal between the piston bore and rod? Even with a lot of torque wouldn't oil get past these two mating surfaces? Thanks, Steve

Replies8
  1. #1bannerd2016-08-29 07:33

    If it was me, I would just get new cylinders. I believe they're $700 a piece from case. Not sure about the hone, depends on how much room you have with the seals and what is stable for hydraulic pressure. For the dent, maybe weld a bolt on it and use a slide hammer to pull it out? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want looks then put some bondo over it and smooth is out. It might ruin the seals if they even go that far though? I've bent many cylinders and I have to say.. they all leak for whatever reason. Even with new seals and sweeps.. they leak. Did you leave the cylinder out? What's the story.

  2. #2mikebramel2016-08-29 10:33

    You can probably hone both of those tubes out. If you have teflon piston seals you don't have much to worry about and you can shim the piston wear band to support the clearance.

  3. #3DirtyHoe2016-08-29 19:42

    I would like to buy new, but I'm way over budget and have a lot more repairs to make on the rest of the cylinders. So I have to fix what I have and try to make it work. What do you mean by "Did you leave the cylinders out?"

  4. #4DirtyHoe2016-09-02 00:12

    Does anyone want to take a guess on my last question? Why is the piston not sealed to the rod with an o-ring?

  5. #5mikebramel2016-09-02 01:18

    Spool has more leakage than that making it irrelevant

  6. #6bannerd2016-09-06 07:13

    The gland has a double o-ring on the threaded side. The inside is the seal on the bottom. Depending on the year it could be the old v-seals or the plastic seals that expand when hydraulic fluid passes over them.

  7. #7kshansen2016-09-06 08:49

    Agree even at full pressure the "leakage" between the piston, nut and ram would probably only amount to a couple drops of oil an hour. More than likely much less than that! And like mikebramel says the leakage between the spool and valve housing would be much more. But if it would help you sleep better tonight you could put a little sealant on the mating surfaces.

  8. #8DirtyHoe2016-09-06 23:52

    That makes sense. I'm not worried about it, just an observation. Out of all of my leaks this would be the smallest by far. I remember seeing seals on different brands of equipment years ago and was curious why Case doesn't. Thanks for the explanation!