Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuilding A Seat For A 931

wolf44 ยท 2011-04-08 22:34

My first machine was a 1980-931B and it was time to redo the seat. I took it to the local upholstery guy. Who did a poor job and I took it back to the shop and pulled it apart and started to fix it like it should have been done in the first place. I thought he would do a great job, I have seen a lot of his work on hot rods and they looked sharp but I guess he does not hold my 931 in such high esteem to get a top notch job. Here is some pictures of me restoring the seat back. Did not have any gloss black to finish the paint tonight. will finish it Saturday

Replies14
  1. #1wolf442011-04-08 22:38

    Seat Back Upholstery and Arm Rests I made new arm rest mount parts out of .125 stainless steel and had the arm rest pads remade.

  2. #2Lee-online2011-04-08 22:51

    That should outlast the old 931 now. I thought the arm rests were made of plywood and then covered.

  3. #3jmtrackworks2011-04-08 22:52

    Looks to be coming along nicely. Keep the pics coming. Post some pics of your machine also.

  4. #4wolf442011-04-09 09:43

    Lee yes you are right. But the supports were 11 ga steel and all rusted. I spent about 1 hour bead blasting all the rust off to not be happy with what they looked like so I made new last forever brackets.

  5. #5koldsteele2011-04-09 10:21

    Nice work there wolf44 ....your paint booth sorta looks like mine

  6. #6Fred from MO2011-04-11 16:17

    Wow Impressive. My finished job would have looked like your first picture! LOL! Are you a metal worker? Is that english wheel one from Eastwood?

  7. #7wolf442011-04-13 19:10

    No that is a Pexto Bead roller. Engineer /Machinest /sheetmetal. You can see excavators section and thread 312 bucket issues for another one of my projects which seem to be never ending.

  8. #8boone2011-04-14 09:30

    Great looking job wolf44. We had to do a bit of work on our seat for the 175 as well. Did you use heavy duty foam for the seat bottom or is it a spring cushion? We replaced the spring cushion on ours cause it was falling apart. Used 4" heavy duty foam and covered everything with a UV resistant vinyl that's used on boats. The reason I ask about the foam is that unfortunately after a long day in the seat our foam is sitting alittle flat

  9. #9wolf442011-04-14 21:07

    Seat Back Rebuild Finally got time to redo the seat back. Got the parts painted and trying to make a good looking job out of the cards that were delt me can be trying but I think I can live with the out come. I silicone sealed the edges to keep water out.

  10. #10wolf442011-04-14 21:13

    Boone: We make seats for a product that we sell and I had a good deal of 80/20 foam to use for this project. When I get this installed I am going to think that I am on my couch.

  11. #11boone2011-04-14 21:45

    Nice! Great pictures too!

  12. #12wolf442011-04-15 21:51

    The Install Went and installed the seat today. Ready to use.

  13. #13jmtrackworks2011-04-16 10:26

    Looks great and great pics. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the front engine loaders. I have 2005 cat 939c. I guess it was the last of the front engine loaders. It is hydrostatic and joystick controlled. It is a great machine for my type of work.

  14. #14wosama931b2012-02-28 21:21

    Hi wolf44, That a great lookin seat and that loader looks new, i can tell that you have a lota pride in your equipment.