Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuilding Torque Conv. on Deere 544C

swampdog ยท 2008-11-12 11:36

In my continuing search for a used low-priced wheel loader, I've come across a Deere 544C. Aside from being an old machine that shows general wear, the worst thing about it seems to be the torque converter. When the machine is cold, it does not want to move forwards or backwards. Once it warms up, the machine moves fine. I'm not sure how well it would handle heavier work, but at least it moves with a light load. The owner seems honest and says they have tried a number of things to fix the problem, including replacing/rebuilding controls, valves, hoses, etc. It seems likely that the torque converter needs a rebuild. How big a job is this and how expensive can it be to repair the torque converter if one hires someone to do the work? Is this a deal breaker and should I again move on?

Replies11
  1. #1Partsdude2008-11-12 14:55

    Get the serial number of the machine, and go to your local Deere dealership. They will be able to quote you a total for the parts and their service dept can give you a "ballpark" figure on the labor. That will determine if you want to buy or run away.

  2. #2swampdog2008-11-12 18:57

    Good ideas. But I'm still wondering if anyone here on the discussion board has experience with the transmissions/torque converters on the Deere loaders. Is this a big problem? Any comments will be appreciated.

  3. #3ncbschzzt2008-11-12 20:40

    Not a big problem, but can be exspensive. I would be one to say that it may not even be your TC. It is a gamble, the dealer may find is a cheap fix or may find it is an exspensive one. TC replacement with parts will run you around 2,000+ in parts plus labor. Avg 100 an hr for the dealer and would take about 10-20hrs depending on what is needed.

  4. #4bordercollie2008-11-21 17:10

    in cold climates, Deere also recommended a low viscosity oil for these transmissions, the trans pump is up on top and has to draw oil all the way from the bottom. Works fine when warmed up? do a torque converter stall test. (HI range, brakes applied, wide open throttle) record engine rpm, compare to wode open throttle, no load, should see a difference of 200 to 300 rpm, make sure trans disconnect is not on when doing test. this will give an indication of torque converter. Is the oil dirty? does the filter housings get hot quick? if yes, possible torque converter problems.

  5. #5Iron Horse2008-11-21 20:40

    My Cat 931 had a bolt loose on the TC which was loosing oil pressure . I pulled the TC out and found the problem but decided to spin the TC in the lathe and cut it in half to check it out anyway . After renewing a couple of bits i had it Tig welded back together and it worked perfectly . Cost me about 150 bucks .

  6. #6OCR2008-11-22 02:57

    You and that damn lathe!!!... Well, I guess you can kinda gather, I'm a wee bit envious... LOL OCR

  7. #7Iron Horse2008-11-22 03:37

    Thank's OCR .

  8. #8OCR2008-11-22 03:57

    Wish I had one!!! Your welcome.... OCR

  9. #9ZFOverhaul2009-02-03 13:21

    Torque converter The torque converter on those transmissions are a tricky thing. They can get rather expensive to rebuild/purchase. Those machines have the TT style Allison transmissions. We have rebuilt a number of those transmissions over the years and are very familiar with the torque converter. We can rebuild your torque converter, but depending on the severity of the damage it could be as much as $3000.00. Let me know if I can be of any further help. Kyle Centranz, Inc. 800.457.5400

  10. #10mcc922009-03-06 18:51

    A used transmission for that machine will cost you $3500, a rebuilt $5250. Depending on the damage you are looking at close to $3000 in parts. That doesn't include the labor taking it out, fixing it, and putting it back in. I just took one out of a Fiat Allis 645B and it took 12 hours just to get it out.

  11. #11swampdog2009-03-07 13:04

    Thanks guys. It may be a good thing that I passed on that JD and bought a different loader. Machines develop enough new problems without having to fix the things neglected by past owners.