Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reccomend Me a Very Small Air Compressor

Birken Vogt · 2018-08-06 17:33

Looking for an air compressor with a pancake tank or maybe one of the kind with 2 tanks that I could haul around with me to jobs. Like people would use to build cabinets and such. Low power draw is a plus because site power is limited. Basically I would be using it to pressure test a cylinder to check for valve leakage, basically no air required for that, and also to hammer the occasional crankshaft snout or flywheel bolts out with a 1/2" gun. I know there is some junk in this range which is why I am asking here. Some of the cheap ones have a rubber piston, I think the ones that have a compressor that sounds like an air conditioner might be the right thing. But I also do not need top of the line, occasional use is all. I've been doing for years without one, I just fork lift my roll-around into the back of the truck when needed, what a pain.

Replies19
  1. #1crane operator2018-08-06 18:38

    https://www.toolnut.com/rolair-ab5-air-buddy-super-quiet-oilless-1-2-hp-1-gallon-air-compressor.html Never had a small rol-air, but I've seen some framers with some awfully abused bigger twin tank ones. Couldn't find a coo on the compressor, but rol- air is based in wisconsin, I'm thinking in this size it isn't very likely that its made here. $159 doesn't seem like too bad a price either. And at 25 lbs it wouldn't take much to put it in the back of the truck. I just don't think it will run a 1/2" impact. Its only .7cfm at 90psi https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools...0db-oil-less-direct-drive-air-compressor.html This one might run a 1/2" impact, just not for very long. $319. 3 gallon, almost 70lbs though- I don't know how much you want to throw in and out of the truck.

  2. #2John C.2018-08-06 18:43

    I've got a cheap little Rigid wheel barrel unit like you are talking about from Home Depot. It says Mobile Air on the top of the compressor. I think it was less than $300 and the handles slide in and out. I can pick it up by myself and load it into the pickup and it easily runs off a 4K genset when I need it. It runs my old Mac 1/2" gun in short bursts just fine. It also has a regulator on the output so you can set pressure anywhere you want.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2018-08-06 18:49

    Right, it does not need to "run" the 1/2" It just needs to get 100 psi or more, enough to break the bolt loose. I can wait for it to catch up for 5 or 6 bolts the 4 times a year I need it.

  4. #4Ronsii2018-08-06 18:51

    If you want to actually 'run' a 1/2' impact you will need to bypass the regulators on most all the newer smaller(<5hp)units if you don't the flow through the regulator will severely limit what you can get out of the gun as they run something like a 1/8 inch line to the regulator from the tank... there may be a few that give you a straight pipe from the tank but I haven't seen one yet.

  5. #5td25c2018-08-06 19:27

    International Harvester had a "spark plug compressor " rig that was an option . Remove one plug & screw in the compressor hose kit . Looked like this . Imagine most of us have odds & ends laying around the shop to build one . Be handy for remote once in awhile air pressure . Swapped out a cylinder head on Buddy Bob's gas burner Farmall 450 last week . Only head available was a small chamber LP gas head . Had to add a little octane boost and backed off the timing 15 degrees so she would not spark rattle . Checked the compression and it popped 185 PSI . That's 11 to 1 plus compression ratio . Take it easy Bob & keep the 450 between the rows ! LOL

  6. #6repowerguy2018-08-06 19:35

    Don’t know what kind of truck you have, but off roaders have been making truck mounted compressors using tecumseh a/c compressors for years. Just a thought.

  7. #7Ronsii2018-08-06 19:38

    I wonder how that would work for a plasma using a carbed engine.... Hmmm, might cut better with a little high octane in the mix

  8. #8Theweldor2018-08-06 19:41

    I almost think you can get those twin tank ones with a small gas motor. They make a lot more air than the electrics do.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2018-08-06 21:11

    Cheap is the name of the game here because the use is so limited, still gotta have it though. I find it interesting they are all oilless now. I feel like the ones I have seen in the past were probably oiled, they sounded like a refrigerant compressor when they ran. I have had bad experience with oilless many years ago, it had a piston with no wrist pin and rubber edges to do the sealing and it melted down after a while.

  10. #10crane operator2018-08-06 21:17

    If cheap is the name of the game, I'd jump on your local craigslist, there's always a bunch locally in the $50-100 range- most like new. Someone goes to lowe's and gets a pancake one for a DIY project, gets done and sells it for 1/2 price. Porter cable, bostich, dewalt, pick your poison.

  11. #11td25c2018-08-06 21:18

    I'd prolly have to send buddy Bob back to town for anther can of octane & back the timing off on plasma cutter . This plasma gun is knocking ! " Turn the distributor the other direction Bob " . LOL !

  12. #12colson042018-08-06 21:19

    Hitachi makes a great compressor in this size. We have 1 Hitachi twin tank compressor we've used for 20 years framing and roofing houses and barns. It's well worn now and been replaced with another Hitachi, but we still keep it around as a backup. Easily runs off our 5kw generator, can keep up with 2 separate nail guns simultaneously and has run a 1/2" impact for bursts. Enough to change a tire, remove 1 bolt, wait, remove another, wait, repeat.

  13. #13td25c2018-08-06 21:56

    Hang on …. Cylinder on an internal explosion gas engine ? Use a vacuum gage . If the needle is flipping ya got leaking valves . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-abd3-5143-9970-e9bdf09e8602&pf_rd_i=15707481 https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015...d-a-vacuum-gauge-to-pinpoint-engine-problems/

  14. #14Bumpsteer2018-08-06 23:07

    Buy the little compressor and a big ass 1/2" cordless impact. You'll use the impact more than you think. Ed

  15. #15Delmer2018-08-07 00:06

    The hitachi double hot dog is a great compressor for the money. Maybe bigger/heavier than you'd like though? I have an old refrigeration style like you're describing, but I don't know where you'd find a new one, and it's not that much lighter than the hitachi which puts out way more air. If you want to run an impact, definitely add a straight port with a short 3/8 or 1/2" hose to get the most of the pressure available.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2018-08-07 00:51

    All right, I guess the refrigeration style is outdated. What about this one, cheaper yet. https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools...rs/senco-pc1010-1-gallon-air-compressor.html#

  17. #17hosspuller2018-08-07 09:55

    An air tank connected between the little compressor will give your Big assed gun breathing room. The tank alone is easily handled. Get on site, turn on the compressor while you get your tools together. Rattle away. The bigger the tank, the more volume available but more time to pressure it before use. Don't need the gun, don't use the tank.

  18. #18Wytruckwrench2018-08-07 10:08

    I have a 20 volt Mac / Dewalt impact, and just got a 60 volt Dewalt compressor to carry in the pickup for blowing stuff off and whatever I need a little air for. So far I’m happy, but will know more in a few months.

  19. #19Sigma Parts2018-08-16 07:39

    I recommend Copeland Compressor