I got called by a company about a week ago to take over a job that someone else started, which is always an adventure. It's a 345B that had a drive motor explosion and had contamination issues ever since. The company hired a mechanic to tear it apart and then he quit. So when I showed up there was rebuilt parts on a pallet and a huge pile of bolts, shields, and brackets strung in, on, and all around the hoe. I got it back together enough for a local hydraulic specialist to come flush whats left of the system and charge it. We're having them do it since they rebuilt all the components and we're looking at close to 100k worth of repairs that I don't want to be liable for if I didn't get something clean enough or missed something the 1st mechanic tore apart. Anybody else end up with basket cases?
cylinder 02Dmax I had a man that owned a tool and die company call me to pack a bucket cylinder on a 315b a few years ago. I went out and first just pulled the rod the nylock nut was only on by about two threads. I pulled the tube and took everthing to his shop to show him the damage. He said hone the tube use the old nut and scotchbrite the piston. I told him i wasnt willing to do that and left it with him. Another local guy that works on equipment did it and i dont know details but they had problems over it. Keep yourself coverd
02Dmax i thought after i did it and maby another post is where i should have put the cyl pics sorry bout that.
We have done a lot of clean outs, some were started by other companies but they were plagued with problems. When we do them, we do everything. Disassemble every component, cylinder, tank, swivel ect. The cooler always get replaced. Hoses and tubes get foam plugs blown through them. It is the only way to guarantee it is done right. Skip one step and you might aswell not have done any of it. Don't know how you guarantee your current situation unless you redo what the prior mechanic has already done.
steve - post as many pics as you want! I like seeing examples. I was very clear and even made the foreman sign a waiver that I was not responsible for any future breakdowns what-so-ever since I was brought in with no knowledge of what the first guy did. All components except cylinders were removed when I got on-site. The pump, control valve, swivel, swing motors, etc were all gone through by a local hydraulic company and they are coming to flush the lines so I left most of the lines capped and un-hooked for them. Basically all I did was hang the parts on it and rebuilt the swing drive planetaries while we were that close. When they told me they weren't going to disassemble the tank or cylinders I made them sign the waiver.