Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

opinions please

ddigger ยท 2011-07-30 10:42

I have a chance to pick up a low hr 2001 Cat 330D, at a real good price. Anyone have any experience on this particular sieries. I belive these are teir one rated, right? My 95 330l,which I bought in 96, is a tier 0, and has over 20,000hrs on it now and is still going strong and working everyday.But its time for an upgrade. I had been planning to replace it with a much latter model this yr anyway, but this deal may be to good to pass on. Thanks in advance.

Replies11
  1. #1Colorado Digger2011-07-30 10:51

    i don't know much about cats or 330's but if the price is right and you have the work, well then go for it. is it set up for your type of work? 20,000 hours i would say you are due for an upgrade. if it is just an amazing deal sometimes those are hard to refuse. others things to consider is if it is close by so you don't have a big mob cost. and if you know who it belongs to. good luck bud, regards,cd

  2. #2ILLICEMAN2011-07-30 10:57

    Never Sounds like you are a good business man.If you need something in the future never pass on a good deal.I bought a JD 750c II and a JD 200clc two years ago and saved alot of money over today's prices.Good luck

  3. #3ddigger2011-07-30 11:30

    CD, the answer is yes to each one of the questions you posed, in fact it is closer to my next job I`m starting on Monday than my machine is now. I have been aware of this machine for sometime now, and planted the seed that I may be interested over the winter. The call came this wk. Mondays project is nite work, so Monday I will go and check it out in person. I will keep you posted.

  4. #4John C.2011-07-30 12:14

    A 2001 model 330 would be a B model and not a D.

  5. #5ddigger2011-08-02 03:59

    You were correct 330bl, so now lets hear the opinions. Todays inspection I would rate the machine a 6 out of 10 given the yr and the attachments. And theres a few things that a guy needs to be able to look past.

  6. #6Juice2011-08-02 06:29

    Hey Digger, Like all business decisions it's good to reach out and gain some experience. If it suits your business model, if the price is right, if it's in good condition, if you've got the work for it. Answer these questions, and you've got your answer.

  7. #7Juice2011-08-02 06:34

    But you just want it don't ya? Jump on it before you miss out!

  8. #8cjplanthire2011-08-02 17:13

    330b gives oil cooler trouble, along with swing box,pump,and final drive problems, but it all depends on the machines history, 330c would be a better buy they are almost bulletproof, came on the market 2002_ 2006, probably the best 330 cat ever built, overall the c model cat was the best vat ever built big and small!

  9. #9grandpa2011-08-02 20:01

    Playing devil's advocate here, what basis do you have for the statement.... time for an upgrade? Your old 330 failing oil sample's and the like? Here you have a machine that's treated you good, does a good day's work , Maybe for a few thousand bucks in tender loving care the old 330 is ready to really make some money for you!! Not saying not to trade,,, just saying she's probably paid for herself, and maybe she's still a profitable machine. I've traded older machine's off in my history that I wished to he** i had back.... my 2cents. I have 5 old "time for an upgrade 966C's" that I absoulutly would not sell for a hundred grand each... I know them inside and out, and they are VERY profitable....... Gramps.

  10. #10ddigger2011-08-04 21:20

    There are several reasons for my statement, some of which are tax related, write offs depreciation and the like. And this machine has in fact paid for its self many many times. That being said there are many componets that could fail on a excavator of this yr and hrs that would far excede the machines value to fix, not to mention I use this machine soley to make my living, any major or unforseen down time would be very bad for myself and my customers as well. And that does not begin to address the EPA regulations, CARB that we are faced with here in this state. This old girl is a tier zero and cannot be retrofitted. Also there is absolutley a stigma when your an owner operator with what people (contractors) percieve to be a OLD machine. Not to mention the 20,000 plus hrs on the original untouched engine.

  11. #11cjplanthire2011-08-05 15:48

    Thats good going ddigger 20k hours, on origional lump, if the 330b is familiar to you buy it if you feel safe, it would be similar to your own machine, newer cab, controls and a few more switches ti play with, but if you couls go for a 330c 2002 onwards, bulletproof.