Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recomendations for a extreme duty rock bucket for Cat 308E

f311fr1 ยท 2019-03-13 21:25

We have destroyed our Cat 36 inch general purpose bucket, ripped the teeth and adapters off of our Fleeco 24 inch "heavy duty bucket" . Anybody have a suggestion for a more robust bucket? TIA

Replies14
  1. #1AzIron2019-03-13 21:48

    Work brau I have heard good things about what kind if coupler do you use I dont know of any 3 foot buckets in that machine category that would hold up to rock abuse and cat buckets are not what I would call the stoutest For my backhoes I have some custom buckets that ganon built for us before they sold out to woods they are made out of ar 400 I think we have had them for like 20 years I break a decent amount of shanks in a year on my 2 foot buckets do to rock it's just the nature of the beast I wont ever put a 3 foot bucket on in conditions that will break shanks You might look into wainroy ripper buckets I think they only come in 20 inch tho in that category tho

  2. #2KSSS2019-03-13 22:01

    I would second the Werk Brau buckets. I have bunch of them and even just the normal HD buckets hold up really well on a steady diet of pulling concrete.

  3. #3heymccall2019-03-13 23:00

    My heavies are Esco, C&P, TAG, and AIM. But, a 36" on a 308, for rock? No wonder your bucket isn't holding up. We split the stick in half on a TB180FR with a 24" bucket in rock. But, the bucket, from a Cat 420E backhoe, held up well. I'd like better descriptions of the failures, because... Adapter breakage is almost always operator avoidable, and going to larger teeth/ adapters reduces penetration force. Floor bowing, again, operator, but, full wear bars on the outside really help. If the cutting edge separates from the sidebars or the hinge points crack, the grade of bucket is usually suspect.

  4. #4f311fr12019-03-14 09:09

    Thank you, I will look at these brands

  5. #5Bls repair2019-03-15 22:04

    By any chance are you prying on the rock rather then pulling on it?

  6. #6f311fr12019-03-16 09:48

    To the best of my knowledge it looks like the damage is a combo of prying on rock and using the bottom of the bucket to pack down dumpsters when we do demos.

  7. #7Bls repair2019-03-16 12:22

    Get a price from a welder to beef up your bucket.

  8. #8Theweldor2019-03-16 13:26

    I was thinking the same thing. Most generally you can rebuild yours for less than buying a new one and end with something much heavier.

  9. #9Bls repair2019-03-16 15:32

    Bending the floor of the bucket by beating on rock,concrete ,what ever is a good way to break the boom.

  10. #10ZGrant2312019-03-17 03:00

    On my 18k lb unit I run a (hd20T) 20" Hensley V botom frost bucket with there HD shanks and tiger teeth. It's about 200lbs heavier than my 36" GP 5 tooth

  11. #11Mother Deuce2019-03-17 04:50

    This will hold up. While this is on a 345 perhaps something scaled back to 308 dims might be available. The ditch bottom is... a little snarky.

  12. #12f311fr12019-03-17 20:41

    Is that a Leading Edge bucket? They want 4K for a new one for a 308

  13. #13AzIron2019-03-17 23:41

    Yea those ripper buckets are not cheap but if you destroy one of those your doing something wronge I would be curious how much abuse you machine itself is taking if buckets are getting eaten up that bad One thing to possibly check on is weather your running a light duty bucket to begin with cat makes a severe duty bucket for backhoes witch is the same as a 308 and they hold up decent a lot of dealers do not inventory severe duty buckets of any make for backhoes I dont know why but it requires the customer to do the homework Deere makes some decent severe duty buckets as well with there tk shanks it's all pretty pricey but it should hold up

  14. #14Mother Deuce2019-03-18 03:39

    I am sorry. I haven't had my hands on that bucket in 9 years and I was in AzIron's neighborhood. After spending a little time comparing shank designs, I believe this particular bucket is a Wain Roy.