Can anyone help me on these choices, which to look at first, or should I rule any particular one or more out, any problems with a particular model etc. I am using it to clear an acre lot with a hill in it and it is wooded ,then build a garage on the property. My choices now are: 1987 Case 580E 2WD STD hoe with Cab, 1310 hours. 1983 Case 580D 2WD STD hoe with Cab 4-in-1 bucket 4000 hours. 1998 JCB 214 4x4 EXT hoe with cab 4500 hours. 1997 NH 555E 4x4 EXT hoe 4-in-1 bucket with Cab 7145 hours. I plan to have these machines check out for me. :beatsme:duh:duh
There's a lot to consider for us to help with choices. First question; which of these brand machines has a dealer closest to you? You have to consider parts support on any machine. Two; if your just using it for personal use on your own property and the occasional use your talking about, I look at the hours on the above machines, and I see a Case 580E with 1310 hrs!!!, I'm on that like white on rice! But, is 4 x 4 necessary? I'd go with the JCB. I don't particularly like having to deal with British Metric Pipe fittings that JCB uses, not all small hose shops have a large supply of those fittings, and plugs/caps for using when you remove a hose are spendy. But I'd choose the JCB over the NH with 7000+ hours. Happy shopping.
The 580E stands out as the best unit as ATCO said. I'd be all over it like snot on a coat sleeve. I'd shy away from the 580D with the 207, vs the rock solid CDC 3.9 in the 580E. The 580E was a good machine very few problems. Parts availability and dealer location is important too. Here (Ontario, Canada) Case has CE, AG and Utility dealers all over. JCB and NH have very few dealers around here. 2 thumbs up for the 580E.
The JCB should run circles around the Cases because of the 4x4, with the extending dipper you will get about 4 more feet of digging. I would not buy the JCB if you don't have a local dealer suporting it for parts and service, the other negative about the JCB is that the parts prices are way high. Make sure which JCB it is, if it is a straight 214 Series 3, then it is a turbo with double hydrualic pumps and pleanty of digging power, if it is a 214E then it is an economy model that has only a single pump and turbo was an option. Lots of rentals and municipal machines were the "e" model becuase of the price. The JCB has the best extending dipper, easy to keep tight, no cutting or welding, the NH is similar. The Case 580E with the Cummins is definately a better choice because of the engine over the 580D. The Perkins is a good engine (JCB) but if you miss a service it shows it's weakness, watch out for heavy blow-by, hard to beat the Cummins. Watch out for busted and welded arms on the D and the NH555E because of the 4 in 1 loader buckets, nice option but prone to overstressing the loader frames. I have written a couple of tech articles on my website about how I check backhoes and diesel engines, you might find them helpfull. Accumac. http://accuratemachinery.com/stories/Story.2008-06-25.2616 http://accuratemachinery.com/stories/Story.2006-06-11.3145
I don't know how I got that thumbs down on there, I didn't mean for that to happen, I think this is a good thread. Accumac
i also vote on the 580e. its not the strongest, fastest or the best optioned but it damn reliable. easy on fuel, starts in the coldest weather, manuverable and parts are cheaper than others.
Do the American built centremounts really use the metric system? thats very interesting if they did...
I'd go with the 580E. Only thing is with that low hours at that age,(low hours are good) but how often was it used and or did it sit alot...? Sitting alot and not running is not usually good for it. Do you have any other options?
Yep, they sure do. Although the machines for the North American market are "built" here in the USA, they are still a British machine. Unless they've changed with their newest modles, they use the British Metric Pipe hyd fittings. Not that there's anything wrong or bad with that, it's just here in the U.S. the most common "hose shop" fittings are still JIC flare or Flat Face O-ring. Also, the service plugs and caps are harder to come by here than JIC or FF O-ring and are much more expensive.
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.