I have been reading several forums, and it has thought me alot of things, but I feel i should lay out my situation to better explain what I considering. I have recently inheirted (sp,? sorry) 24ac of land. old farm. On this farm is a old road that goes straight up ohe side of one hillside. it is in bad shape. there is also an old home that i have to remove the asbestos singles off the side before tearing it down. In my area it cost 3600.00 to rent an JD 450 older model. I have been weighing the thought of purchasing a machine with warranty to keep for as long as i can, with the hopes of not having to sell it off when finished with it. Maybe one day boys can use it if needed to make a living. wife'y and i have computed that if we combined our vehicle payments (high interest rates) and other c.card balances and extend it by 3 years at a lower rate, we can get a 05 CAT d5g, (850 hrs) ffor 63,500. or a 07 JD 450j (300 hrs, with cab) for 75,000, or a 06 jd450j w/o cab but with winch (900 hrs) for 79,000. On my farm, i have room for about 10 home sites for future family members (kids, etc), if i take down about 13 acres of saplings and about 3 acres of nice white and red oak. In the mean time run some cattle/fainting goats, to keep it cleaned up while working a little every day. Plus building a small pond with overflow at a creek that drys up during the summer months. My property needs a new road cut around the side of hill for access to the pastures on top in which have a view of the whole town. On reason i'm leaning toward buying a new used machine is due to fear of a money pit on a older machine with over 3-6000 hours etc. any suggestions on which machine would be appreciated, as i have some rock in places mostly shell. and the trees. I'd also like to know more from people who have a d5G as i'm leaning this way due to the weight on ground, and CAT certifies that the under carriage has some what looks like some potential hours left . a friend told me the hours they have listed that a part timer like me will have to run it to death to get to that point. any suggestions and questions will be greatly appreciated. sincerely, jb in the one picture with the white "y" the right side is a thought of tying into the existing road that goes up the side.
after going around curve at top it goes around bend to another pasture and saplings. but i'd like to have a come back down for example on the left side if white of "y" on first picture.
The machines that you have listed are all considered finish dozers. They are for cleaning up a job and making the dirt look pretty. While they are perfectly capable of doing what you want, you must realize that they are on the small side for this. For a quarter of what you plan to spend, you should be able to find a crew that can come in and do what you want. They have the experience and the equipment. As a beginner, you will waste thousands of dollars in diesel fuel just learning how to run your dozer. It's not rocket science, but being able to cut a grade for a road and including drainage and erosion into it is a skill that takes allot of hours in the seat. For what you want to do, I think and excavator is a better tool to get it roughed in anyway. Then run a finish dozer over it and come back with a backhoe or a small excavotor to install your culverts. One machine is capable of doing all this, but not as well as three machines to get it right. If your goal is to build those houses and do it right, then owning a dozer is not something that you really need. They are money pits that will break down on you. It really doesn't matter how new it is, they all break. No mechanic wants to drive out to help you when he's overrun with work for the big companies. It doesn't matter what you are willing to pay, it's not enough. If you can do all your own repairs, owning has some merrit. It's nice to be able to just get on the machine and do what you need right then and there. As a builder, it doesn't make financial sense to own the equipment when you can hire it out and be done with it. I'm a home builder/remodeler. I own equpement for my farm, but hire it out on the jobs that I'm on. I've found it's cheaper to let the owner/operators deal with repairs, upkeep and suprises. They get paid to solve those issues, and I get paid to make a house appear. Two different things. Here's a picture of my dozer about two months after I bought it. I learned the hard way that nobody will show up to fix it for me and I had to figure out how to repair the track and install it again by myself. Eddie
What Eddie says is all too true and I think his is a great post to lay it out in the bare facts. However, its been my observation over the years that many of the human species don't always abide by what is most sensible or practical ...self included So if you are intent on some DIY ask away here, these guys have the skills and experience to help out. FWIW I can offer the following: If it is your intent to fully develop the site, (you mention some 13 houses would be possible) even being in the game myself, I'd consider going with an investor or property developer...thats legally complicated an all but returns can be very good for little effort on your behalf (I don't know the market in your country...let alone area). If your more inclined to do the ground work..so to speak...then investing in a machine may not be a bad idea....provided, there is at least, a two fold return for every dollar your outlay. Given the nature of the site, I'd be inclined to take some of Eddie's advice and go with a Hydraulic excavator for "roughing out" and then get a contractor in to do the shaping and grading. If you are going on to do further development the excavator will have multiple uses for trenching, drainage, stump removal etc. Whilst a small dozer would be terriffic and often essential on site I think you will get more use/value out of an excavator. Just my two bobs worth....ask away. And don't forget the Jack of all Trades...The Backhoe...not much good for pioneering roads but given enough time and a cool head, just about anything can be acheived.
dozer work I have to agree with Eddie, for $63,000 buying a dozer, and then having to learn how to use it, is not a good investment. One break down and it could be BADDDDDDDDDDD . I have had to correct a bunch of land owners work, that buys their own equipment, and either tears it up, or reshapes the land, where it sheds on someone elses property, and they get sued by the neighbor, or CAMMA. In my area, if you clear more than an acre, you need to get a permit from the Army Corp of Engineers. Its not all, buy a machine and do the work. Good Luck
You're on a farm right? did you think about getting something like a(green)deere with a three point. This machine could have a front bucket and rear box for cutting roads, a backhoe for utilities and footings, post hole augers, wood splitters, land rakes, cement mixers, generator/welders. Fot the money you would get a heck of alot more versatility and you could find way more use for this machine, propably everyday use. sure the dozer would cut and grade nice but you will find that you wont use it near as much as the tractor.
good point!
I like what Eddie said. Hire it done and let somebody else mess with the hassel of repairs and maintenence on a machine. I am in the bussiness of land clearing and cutting roads and I cant even remember how many times I have had to go out and redo a job that somebody with their own dozer had done, and generally fixing somebody else's mess cost more than getting it done right the first time. Just my $.02. Have a good day
Eddie, I'm guessing that's the same 1550 you had stuck in the mud. If you get a chance, could you post some more info on the broken track situation...? How did it get upside down on the rear sprocket, what broke, how did you get it back on? Thanks: OCR
Thanks for all the info., and input. I tried to put to many points in the first to posts. Let me try to provide more of my thoughts in trying to decide on the dozers. As for them being finish dozers, that is why I was leaning more to the D5G as it was heavier and still has a good warranty on drive train and Hyd. Plus my brother in law works for CAT as a machanic at the local CAT dealer. My cousin has a excavator, with a thumb to help me with the house and also the bank near the top of hill if is really rocky. all in return he ask me is give in a deal on dozer work or usage, as he rents them routinely (monthly). I was goint to do alot the work in pastures and saplings, to have for a homesite, and more more grass in areas that i'm not thinking of putting a home or so. As for a tractor, I have a small kubota (brush, F&R already, but it is not large enough for me to drag logs with. etc. I really appreciate all the great thoughts and input. It doesn't sound to good to borrow money to pay someone to do a job, which sounds good really good, (but after seeing many in my area pay people charge for road work and leave and then have to pay again and again to come back to fix it right), or discover something else may want to be done after they leave (drag a log, etc) This is what makes me think it may be better to have it, for the long haul to work with, take my time, etc. Plus the thought of doing some finish work on some small lot property that we own to develop that doing nothing but sitting empty. previous family members did just as i said above, paid someone and got the raw end of deal as seen on previous road. I may be wrong, buy I've owned and paid for trucks in my lifetime, that cost almost as much (i just seen a mossy oak avalanche at a local dealer for over 63,000 and i'm sure they can't hold their value as much as a newer model dozer. That is why I trying to keep it at a good price level, and a decent warranty for several years, instead of buying a junker. I have heard many of those stories about buying much older and breakdowns. Just alot to absorb, and think about. I think I need a couple of days to pray about it longer, and read more. I have done alot of studying, and talking to people mentioned above, etc. Thanks for all the great input, and I sure appreciate more. Thanks and god bless everyone.
you have read my mind also, i've thought about upgrading the small tractor, but I think about small lots I could finish out and do something with. Thanks I'm still considering that also, even a 4x4 backhoe.
You have half the equation solved with the family member with the excavator and the other family member that's a mechanic. as far as dozer size I'd personally go with a D6. I'm very fond of that model/size dozer and for a farm it's definitely the one to beat. Your brother-in-law should be able to steer you in the right direction as to a dozer of any vintage or brand that's in decent shape. if you can talk the cousin into going halvers with you on the purchase of the dozer that may help in the funding area as well, and your investment will make money rather than sit when you aren't using it. this may also give you a place to learn the skills you'll need to tackle your own project. You have resources in your family talk to them and see what they have to say as well. Hope it works out.
I would have to agree that a D5/D6 size dozer is appropriate...somewhere between a finish dozer and a rough earthmoving dozer. And then you can put a ripper on it if you have hard dirt or rock or a winch on it to pull some logs or a truck if it gets stuck. In your case, I'd go for the winch. Having relatives with another needed machine really helps. Free...or at least dirt cheap. :drinkup
Have you considered a rental machine? That's what I did...and am VERY pleased with the results and the cost. I rented a D6N and was amazed at how much could be done in such a short amount of time. I don't want to ruffle any feathers as I know this kind of work is folks bread and butter here, but a newer model dozer is quite an easy learning curve for what you propose to do. Your ground looks easy to work as well, no steep terrain, no solid rock outcrops, etc. That's just my 2 cents worth...I found the work not only fun, but very fulfilling as well. Plan out your routes and mark your areas in advance and git 'er done. All these folks here on this site were a blessing of very worthwhile information. I do agree..pray about it! I did...HallelulYah!
ok Cold hard choices to be madE QUICKLY. 1) 05 CAT d5G for 63,500 900 hrs. 2) 08 JD 50d mini excavator /w thumb/auger for 60000 rubber tracks warran 5 yr/4000hrs. 3) 07 Kubota 80 Series KX080-3 with thumb steel tracks. 65000.00 lesss thaN year warr. which would you choose for the Above pictureS jobs plus TEARING DOWN THE OLD HOUSE; ESPEICALLY IF YOU DO'T WANT TO DEPEND ON FAMILIY MEMBERS. AS MOST KNOW THAT CAN BE A BETTER HASSEL THAT THE EQUIPMENT ITSELF. THANKS FOR ALL INFO.
That Kubota is a nice machine. I'd stay away from rubber tracks. They are only good for residential work and don't last very long. Running something with them out in the woods just tears them up. Something that I forgot to mention and don't know if you considered it or not, but if you are financing this, what is your interest rate? A loan of $60,000 is going to cost you allot more then the price of the machine. If you finance that amount, how much a month is being spent on just interest? For easy numbers, lets say $500. For that kind of money, in just interest, renting or hiring out the bigger jobs makes allot of sense, rather then tying up allot of money into a specialized machine that's too small to do it right anyway. A full sized loader/backhoe is a very handy machine to have. It will do just about everything you need, and then some. Get 4wheel drive and a 4 in 1 bucket, and you can clear timber, dig roads, install culverts, spread road base and even take down buildings. I took down a 60 x 100ft barn with mine that was in pretty bad shape. In my opinion, there is no better single piece of equipment for doing so many different things. Mine is 2wd and doesn't have the 4 in 1 bucket. Two things that I truly regret and sometimes think about changing. A cab would be nice, but not for the money. You can find a very nice backhoe for under $40,000 and there are some deals out there for under $30,000 that will get you one heck of a machine. Best of all is that you won't have to deal with tracks. Tires might go flat, but that's an easy fix. Tracks are a pain to deal with, even when they are working properly. Then after you buy a backhoe, you can still afford to hire somebody with a big dozer like a D6 sized machine who can come in and cut your roads in a day or two. Spend a few grand and have it done instantly, or spend tens of thousands and untold number of days messing around with it on an undersized machine. Eddie
Heres just my idea on what i would do. You have a realtive that is a mechanic, hopefully he would give you advice on how to fix or even come over and help you fix anything that breaks. Also if you can talk him into looking at equipment with you he could probably give you a good idea how well its been mantained. With all that said. say your looking to spend 60k total. I would be looking at some older equipment in good shape, you could get a nice d4 or d5 for around 25-30k leaving another 25-30k for an excavator in the 6-10 ton range. Go older and cheeper on all of it and get a single axle dump truck to haul stuff all over the place with ease. Me personaly on farm equipment I'd rather have older stuff that doesn't have computers in it and have multiple pieces then just one new shinny one. I know someone is gonna disagree with me on this one though. Last thing Ritchie Brother auctions are a great place to find lower priced equipment.
I have had good luck with buying used equipment working it a little then selling it after a few years, you need to know a bit about how to run it well or you can make a real mess. The sizes of equipment you are talking about will have good resale value, and I agree about Rithchie Bros they do have good deals you may actually make money if you buy low at auction then sell it on your own later.
Debt?? Based on your ealier post, it appears you may already have too much debt. You would be well advised to pay down your existing debt and heir a contractor before you purchase equipment you are not familiar with. As has already been pointed out, it can get very expensive in a hurry and you are not dealing with tonka toys, they can be very dangerous as well.
This is a great post...thanks nothing wrong with disagree with someone, as long as they don't try and talk down to ya. Thanks.....
thanks for your input....but i have to say....for someone to say someone appears to have to much debt without even knowing them is somewhat brass. did you happen to run a credit check along with income verification. some people have investements where money makes them more money than finance charges cost them, elsewhere. Not everyone including myself tells everything about debt. I just mentioned I was able to combine some higher interest items along with purchasing equipment to save money thus making my money work for me and not the banks. Did you also notice that I mentioned I had several lots available elsewhere to develop....but i iuguess that is debt also. as for me asking about equipment, i have run dozers, backhoes and bobcats in limited roles while in military. but it does leave a lot of improvement on my end (one reason I ask others opinion) bit I guess asking opinions leave of room for the EXPERTS on here to brag about themselves, etc. for the ones who have answered with sincere suggestions i totally appreciate it. I've really enjoyed reading the post here about people doing things for themselves (ie., ****, i really enjoyed the mission you took on I bet you took many experts telling you to do things their way or no way.) Suggestions and recommendations are great, but people who just want to tell ya your stupid, not experienced enough (instead of supporting ya with safety suggestions), or trying to get a person to hire them. Heck, if most on here have the money to buy THAT TONKA TOY, then why can only a few be allowed (recommended) to, not everyone wants to steal your business. In this thread, i have some great responses from excavator as a choice, which I have access to (and the money to buy a smaller one), to which orginial small dozer in my perferred price range was the best choice. if a person doesn't think I have a prayer to do a job as good as they can, why do they find the need to come on here and say such. Most Everyone on here from what i have read has made STUPID choices, from buying older equipment that falling apart, to accidents happening or waiting to happen. Sorry for the rant, i just get frustrated when someone judges someone's finances. One thing that can be said to anyone saying it isn't cost effective to buying my own Tonka toy for my farm use is: I have enought money / credit rating to buy my own, and not have to pay them. god bless:usa
You CAN do it brother! While it is true that some may reply with their "leave it to the pros" attitude, I did find that MOST were concerned about our safety, not where their next job may come from. I, like you, love to learn new things as well as feel the pride of accomplishment, but are still humble enough to ask the pros for their expertise...most ARE willing to share their vast knowledge--and as I have said many times in my thread THANK YOU ALL MOST SINCERELY! This website was a blessing of valuable information and continues to be. I can certainly understand a distaste from some for rental companies when it is some folks bread and butter here. Nevertheless, for do-it-your-selfers such as I, it was the perfect answer to my needs. Now, that all my big stuff is done, I am going to purchase a new loader/backhoe (as many have suggested for you) to do all the smaller stuff that will be needed done over the years (I already own a loader/backhoe but it is TIRED and needs to be replaced). Again, if I were you, I'd rent a newer model D6 (D6 is the largest you can transport out here without permits/lead car, etc.) for a week or so and get all the big stuff done...plan it all out in advance and start with the easy stuff first, you will get the hang of it in no time...MUCH easier than the older models to operate--6 way blades, T-handle controls, push button shift...and a brake that will lock it up instantly if you NEED to stop! To be honest, the ONLY thing that took a bit to get used to was the decellerator because it is the exact opposite of an accelerator. Piece of cake after an hour or two! C'mon now fellas...you can't have all the fun to yourselves playin' in the dirt! God bless you all, ****
Did not mean to make you mad... but You said you had some high interest auto notes. Since auto notes are generally one on the easiest types of loans to get and are usually based solely on percieved credit risk based on the big three credit agencies rating, it is easy to conclude that high rate auto interest loans that orginated during the last 5 years or so during a time of generally easy credit and low interest rates overall is a red flag. If my conclusion was in error and you took offense to it I apologize. If it is correct, I stand by my earlier suggestion. Hire it done or rent as been suggested. I you need the schedule 179 deduction then buy a high quality machine and write it all off the first year. There are not many pieces of a D6 size machine that are not very expensive and being able to do your own repairs is mandatory.
Going in debt that you have very little knowlegde in is scary. If money is no problem, go for it. Paying for equipment when you are a contractor can be tough with all the high cost of fuel, ins., maintenence and other unforseen things, but I cant imagine not working a piece of equipment and still pay for it. Borrowing $65000 for 5 years your payment on the machine alone will be $1317.97 at 8% interest. What you are wanting done, in our parts, can be done probably for about 2 monthly payments. Like **** said rent a machine for a week and do it yourself. At least you can take the machine back if you decide dirt work is not your cup-of-tea.
The more I read and think about this thread the more I want to stress, avoid buying a depreciating machine, lets face it you are not making a living with this and efficiency is really not your main concern, you can afford downtime, and knowing how to repair your equipment is priceless if your a do-it yourselfer like you sound. So this is my final advice and it has always done me well in the past. Buy whatever peice of equipment you decide you need, but buy it used with the value mostly depreciated, don't buy a peice of crap just something you can work with and upgrade worn parts as you go. I think you'll find it rewarding to see your upgrades improve the machine and the work you can do with it. If you decide to upgrade your machine you will most likely break even on the cost of it or even make a little if you clean it up nice(I have). If you go out and spend 60,000-70,000 plus interest and don't forget insurance on such a valuable machine you will never see the return on it and the resale will only get lower for quite some time. Good luck and keep us posted:drinkup
If you spend $60,000 on a machine, you've just sunk $2500/acre into your land. And the value of your land has not increased a single penny, because you won't have actually done any work yet. You will have to spend more money to actually get the work done. You also don't indicate you don't have a lot of experience in the cab. Buying a dozer and doing nothing with it costs money. Buying a dozer and using it costs a lot of money. Unless you've done a lot of work in one, you are not going to be efficient. The cost of you doing the work yourself could easily be 50% more than hiring the work done. You also mention consolidating credit card balances and vehicle loans. I'm not trying to pry into your finances by any means, but I've not seen a situation where purchasing equipment with either one of those was a sound financial decision. The interest on both is usually quite high. If the return on using equipment was higher than either, everybody would own a piece or two. Other people's experience may be different, but if it is my equipment, I am the one running it. I don't loan equipment, swap equipment, or rent equipment. I take great pride in my equipment, and I try to keep it in good, sound running order. Most people who rent or borrow don't do the same. If you had a solid piece of equipment when it left, it usually isn't when it gets back. It would have been cheaper to hire the work done and a friendship or two would still be intact. All that aside, some people just like to own their own equipment. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's your money, spend it the way you see fit. If it were me, I would look at an older machine costing less money. There are a lot of machines out there with some age and hours on them that are still good, reliable machines. There are a lot of older series JD 450's out there that can be had for under $20,000 that will outlast the owner if they are taken care of. They aren't fast and they aren't fancy, but there isn't much they can't do with a little time. If you need something bigger, you might look at something along the lines of a D6C or D6D. You are looking at new or nearly new machines, but it is hard to justify the costs of one unless that hour meter is doing a lot of turning. You lose a lot of value through depreciation fairly quickly. With an older machine, they are largely depreciated out. Some might even appreciate. I sold a JD tractor here a while back that I bought 8 years earlier, used for 8 years, had 2000 more hours on it when I sold it than when I bought it, and it sold for $1500 more than what I paid for it.
ok aftr thinking about it,,, i'm sorry for lettin myself for getting shak'n about the condemnation i was gettn. everyone here has to remember we all come from different backgrounds, jobs, etcs. Some depend on their equipment as their bread and butter, thus the need for it to turn $$$ from minute one every Day. In which I fully appreciate and respect. to the some who answered my original question and gave suggestions: "which is the better machine for the job I was trying to do". The largest thing rental around here is a older smaller JD 350 for 3600 a month. Thank you. as I was wanting want to stay in a $$$ budget was between the machines first posted anything above a d5g, and a jd 450j, was more than I wanted to pay. didn't want to give life story but seems it may take more to get a simple question answered. I'm Blessed with a gov't retirement (of over 60,000), home paid for. Land paid for. I'm BORED, want to improve my cattle grazing (this will help $$ increase from property over time, I want to build a home then sell or rent my smaller one), but have prospects to develop maybe later for my children. I also have the inside tract for any additional 59 acres utility owned next to my property that is over grown. but they (utility company from out of country) will only sell off once yearly, through their real property division to adjacent land owners only upon approval of board of directors. This is another reason along with other property I own, and current farm work needed done: Thus I was wanting to buy. I have 23 hours a day on my hands, I have land, I have income, if i don't do something to fill my day I'm just going to have :drinkup as for the member questioning my high interest Debt. Sir, since me being a veteran, and since my wife is "WAS" a resident citizen, she had no credit file(kinda like a baby, or a DEADBEAT), through her getting high interest loans she has built her credit file. SO with that being told to the world, I feel it would only make sense to do what i orginially said. I can kill 2 birds at one time (maybe even myself) improve my properties, and save her interest payments, etc. Plus get some exercise and piece of mind of doing some positive.
WV: Some great posts in this thread but the only mistake you made was ommitting the "I'm bored" part . A compadre of mine here, who has been known to wield a mean looking sickle, said once, "I'm sure many of us would play in the dirt all day for free if we could" or words to that effect. So congratulations to you..because you are in a position many here would envy. I believe most of the responses are genuinely borne out of a) the individuals experience, and b) a genuine desire to try and help you not make a decision you may regret (they are looking out for your best interests...at least from a financial point). So go for it...enjoy and I'm sure you will get some more good responses. I don't think anybody has raised the issue of a trackie (Track loader). I'm no expert but a trackie could be a good option.:beatsme
go with the dozer..add other pieces as $$ allows for...just make sure you invest in the most important piece of equipment for a job like this a VERY nice DIGITAL CAMERA!! (and post your pics OFTEN)
WVfarmervet, First I want to say "Thank you" for serving your/our country and making discussions like this possible. That is something we all take for granted much too easily. Since you have the time and are looking for something to do and accomplish, I suggest you find a nice older dozer. As suggested, the D6C is an outstanding choice. Great balance, good engine and it is big enough to do anything you need done, but nimble enough to do some finish work. I wish I still had mine. The D7F I went to while producing more work was not as balanced. Before you make a purchase, hire a mechanic to check out the machine for you. There are many items that need to be checked. I would also suggest an oil analysis of both the engine and transmissions. Tests are quick, inexpensive and can give you some great information. Pull the plugs on the finals and look for metal. Good luck on whatever route you take.
Having time on your hands and wanting to spend it working on your land is a beautiful thing. I can sure appreciate that as it's my most favorite thing to do. Nothing gives me as much satisfaction as changing the shape of my land, and seeing an idea turn into reality. If I had the money, I'd also love to have a new, or near new maching. The thought of not having to wrench on it is very appealing. Unfortunately, I can't afford it, and I know that new stuff breaks too. It just costs more to fix!!!! The comments about what it costs to repair some of the modern electronics in the newer machines is truly frightening. With time on your hand, and wanting to spend it working on your land, I still think the dozer is a limited option machine. You can only do so much with it, and for allot of things, it's the wrong machine. One good thing about buying a newer machine is that if you decide it's not the right one for what you want to do, or if you do everything you want to do with it, you should be able to sell it fairly easily. I know that I'm looking forward to the day that I can paint "For Sale" on my blade and park it in front of my land. Buying it was a great day, selling it will be an even better day!!!!!! Eddie
I agree but.... Eddie, I agree with every word you have said and I loved reading the thread on your project. Yes the day you bought your 1550 was great and yes I believe that the day you sell it will be great as well...BUT ... it is in your blood. You did an incredible job on the land and the machine. That 1550 is as much a part of you as the land is. I know because I did pretty much the same thing although I sold my machine after I was done with it. Completely rebuilt a D6B from stem to stern and then used it to clear land and build a pond. Sold it, and did not make it a year before buying a D7F and reworking the finals and transmission on it. Once again I cleared some more land I bought and built a pond and then sold the dozer. 3 years lapsed and the whole time I always had my eyes open for a good machine at a bargin price. Now I'm on my third machine, a JD750B that had been sitting at a neighbors house for the last 5 years without use. I just did not have an excuse to buy it. Well here I am today and I bought some more land I need to clear and another new pond to build so home comes the JD 750B to the shop for a refit and then to work. Just finished with her and she is now ready to go to work. Will I sell her when I am done? Not sure. Will I replace her if I do? History says I will - some people never learn. Maybe there is still hope for you.
Personally, go out an find an older Kobelco 115 or something, just look for something thats in good mechanical condition, undercarriage, pins tight and on an on, look for something about 8-15 years old with 3-6k hours, You will be able to dig ditches and use the blade to clean up and grade your road.. Plus buying an older machine you may need to do some odds and ends to fix it up but who cares, if you buy it for say 30k its still going to be worth at least 25k three years down the road when you go to re-sell it, if you buy a newer machine, your going to pay tax and the second it leaves the lot it looses value,, If you get a dozer you dont need something huge, maby a John deere 450-650 or a D-4 or so, But as far as im concerned id much rather use an excavator with a blade then a dozer for that type of work any day.. If you buy something newer buy it off a rental program or something it will be cheaper and still be under warranty..
If you decide on a older machine, my dad has a d5h that has been redone within the last year. You can pm me for the details if you want. As far as your original post as what machine would fit, I personaly would choose the dozer over any other piece of machinery just because that is what I use to work with. I am not that familar with excavators or backhoes, but I have been running dozers all of my life and from what you explained what your wanting to do, that would be the logical choice. Just my 2 cents. Have a good day and BTW thank you for serving our country.:usa
For the price of a new or a newer dozer you could buy a nice older dozer and a backhoe and maybe a dump truck.They are alot of nice older dozers out there that are in pretty good shape. Any dozer new or old you are going to have break downs some may be minor some may be major.Personally i would buy a older dozer and do a little work on it and make a nice dozer out of it.That's what I did I bought a older dresser td-8e rebuilt the engine put a new undercarriage on it and a lot more minor things and it runs like a new one.There was a operator who use to do alot of work for my dad he had an old td-9 he put 38,000 hours on it he kept it for 30 years or so and it ran like a new one till the day he sold it.But he was a good mechanic and the best operator i've ever seen.