I currently use the NAPA screw-type. It has a threaded rod that spreads the snap ring when you twist the handle. It doesn't work great.
I have these. Made in USA. Work well for me. Lang Kastar 12 Piece Combination Internal External Snap Ring Pliers Set 3495 | eBay 12 Piece Combination Internal External Snap Ring Pliers Set. Includes 12 fixed tip pliers with the following sizes.038. 047. 070, and. 090 in 0-degree, 45-degree and 90-degree angles. GearWrench 82812 Tap and Dies. www.ebay.com Harbor freight has come out with some new ones under the Icon name too. I hear they are good but ne experience. https://www.harborfreight.com/precision-snap-ring-pliers-8-piece-64597.html https://www.harborfreight.com/quarter-turn-convertible-retaining-ring-pliers-set-12-piece-59151.html
Thanks Swetz. I like the HF Icon tools. The OEM snap rings on the bigger pins are tough to remove. I'll be glad when I can pour the floor for the new barn. The red rock is a pain.
For the larger snap rings I have the set below. Sweet shop! The floor will only make it sweeter! https://www.zoro.com/lang-1487-16-in-2-piece-heavy-duty-snap-ring-pliers-set-lng-1487/i/G115780016/?gclid=e34bbb4010a0118f779edcbe9f8ad846&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=e34bbb4010a0118f779edcbe9f8ad846&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla_rlsa_na_na_na_Cart%20Abandoners%20-%20bing&utm_term=4581939832076152&utm_content=Cart%20Abandoners
I hear ya on the gravel floor @Bote . I put crushed red brick in my barn. I'm in the process of putting a pinion bearing in my F150 so I laid down OSB to roll the creeper on. I used the belt guards off one of my finish mowers to spread out the weight under my jack stands. I have a piece of 1/4" aluminum I used under the floor jack.
Working on gravel is a pain but I’m happy to be out of the weather. I trenched and buried 120’ of conduit over the weekend. After I finish the permanent electrical I’ll start planning the concrete. Gonna do one truckload at a time.
Hands down best snap ring pliers are knipex. Had the high dollar snap on set and hated everytime i had to use them. They are super flimsy on tough rings. The knipex do not bend or twist or flex at all. You have to buy twice as many though because they do not make convertible ones. They are either internal or external. I have these though for anything I can get the tips to fit and love it for bigger rings https://www.knipex-tools.com/products/snap-ring-pliers/snap-ring-pliers-sets/pc-angled-precision-snap-ring-pliers-set-tool-roll/002004SB SKU : 87 - Heavy-Duty Pliers with Tip Kit Manufacturing professional tools since 1932 www.langtools.com
I’ve got a LANG set..not 1 complaint from me..
I think knipex is the bees knees in 2025. Others will work, but what’s the fun in that? I don’t like struggling with snap rings. Those German’s, Knowwhatimsayin?
This thread is not really about snap-rings. I think it’s a humble-brag about that sweet new barn. I could raise all sorts of farm animals in a barn like that. Mr. Grute approves.
I am loving it lol. Even convinced my wife to help with temporary lighting. Is that your bunny, Coaldust? I fed the squirrels over the winter and they repaid me by nesting in both my F350s. Apparently they love the barn too. They chewed up the vacuum pump and reservoir on one of them.
Yeah, I run a little rabbitry on the side. Sell and trade new and used rabbits. Flemish Giants and Satins, mostly. Glad to see She is being safe with the hard hat.
That's cool. We have a couple tortoises that weigh 120#. Yesterday, we took one to the vet with an eye infection and my wife insisted on riding in the back of the truck with him. She mothers everything. On a serious note, the Knipex pliers come in several lengths and I think I'm going to get a couple for external rings. Would the 7" length be OK for 2" external snap rings? I got her a safety harness for future elevated work.
There we go. Safety first. ! The 7” will be on the small size unless you have Hulk superhero grip strength.
I prefer fixed tip pliers. I have some MAC tools brand with the different tips and I don't ever use them except on the light stuff. No way I would put my wife in a loader bucket. But mine has been known to go floppy on me. My loader bucket that is. I have a barn cat that keeps the rodents and squirrels out. He is becoming an indoor/outdoor cat this year but still polices the barn. When he catches one he devours it. I won't find anything but the head, tail, and backbone.
https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-RT-3-Convertible-Retaining-3-Piece/dp/B002M058TO/ref=asc_df_B002M058TO?mcid=1e1c586b0961394a99a6d4a43f29d4fa&hvocijid=11568182747285917613-B002M058TO-&hvexpln=73&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=721245378154&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11568182747285917613&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010836&hvtargid=pla-2281435182698&psc=1 I have this set of 3 which comes with tips does inside and outside. Only one i have had a hard time with is wheel bearing on a Ford truck the ring is strong and deep in a narrow channel. I got it but almost didn't.
What's a new vs used rabbit ...
The used ones have been around the block a few times, various sexual partners, dozens of kids, excess emotional baggage, a few scars.
That’s what I’m talking about. Made in Merica by the good folks in Meadville, PA. Probably, the last domestic, privately owned, plier manufacturer.
Are we still talking about bugs bunny... lol
You sir are exactly right. May you have a prosperous and blessed day!
That and a few of my ex girlfriends
I had 2 living in my yard. One died last summer, found him taking the long nap in my driveway. The other one is still around. My dog goes nuts chasing him around.
We have an area behind the shop, about 3/4 of an acre. It’s an old grown up fallow field. We call it bunny town, because it’s full of bunnies and sometimes deer. Our beautiful dog Maisy, will spend hours there just chasing bunnies and wearing herself out. I will ask, where’s Maisy and wife will reply, She’s in Bunny Town. lol
We have two tortoises that originally belonged to the kids. 30 years old now and 120 pounds or so. My wife mothers them like everything else. They'll actually come to you when called. One of them watches for my wife's car when she comes home from work because he knows he'll get a treat.
Both swing tower bushings in the frame were loose and could be turned by hand. Not really worn but the top one had numerous cracks halfway through it. Discovered this late last night. Haven't taken any measurements to see how bad it is. Wasn't expecting this. Won't be able to get back on it until the weekend.