Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“recovery strap”

Natman ยท 2021-06-21 22:42

The hot tubs I pick, and the way I pick them, require one (per side) of my 20' slings plus a 12'. I have long noticed 30' recovery straps at my local farm supply store, and always turned my nose up at them. But today, after checking (again) with the biggest rigging supplier in my state and only seeing 20' max lengths, I bought two 3" x 30' recovery straps, and will reserve them for hot tubs. I have mixed feeling about this, as they will will be the only rigging I use not approved (certified?) for overhead lifting, but my common sense tells me it shouldn't be a problem with a 800 pound tub, I will not pull them out on a "real" job. Then again....the cone shaped VOR cover I picked the other day required a 20 and 12' sling, choked, as the cone was rigged by guys standing low and the diameter of the thing required it, and as the rigging slipped up higher, as planned, the shackle joining the two slings together got in the way of the choking action. As the cone weighed around 1,000 pounds, I will probably use the new slings on it also. . Anyone know why standard lifting slings seem to be hard to find over 20'? I have a hot tub tomorrow, and the VOR cone again in a few days, so will try them out, though I don't like the fact they are not certified etc. I have no worries about them working just fine.

Replies18
  1. #1skyking12021-06-21 22:51

    I think you could order anything. NW wire rope and sling in Tacoma has nylons made at another facility. I just ordered some 20x2 for a job, for slings of pipe. 253-572-8981

  2. #2Jonas3022021-06-21 22:57

    Some possibilitys https://www.riggingwarehouse.com/br...OFaLvMfq_OcVIGhJZnXtHRoCk1AQAvD_BwE&length=30

  3. #3skyking12021-06-21 22:59

    2x30 for $76 good find. https://www.riggingwarehouse.com/31...-2-x-30-polyester-web-sling-twisted-eyes.html

  4. #4JLarson2021-06-22 00:30

    WRS probably has 30' long 2" slings. I know we can get 2" and 4" 30's here pretty easy from our local places, maybe a local thing.

  5. #5Nige2021-06-22 13:26

    Certified Slings was where we used to get all our slings of any type. Seems like their standard offering is 3" x 30'. Geographically they are a long way away but surely there is a similar supplier closer to you.? https://www.certifiedslings.com/

  6. #6kshansen2021-06-22 13:55

    Agree on the thought you should be able to find some place that will make a sling what ever size you want. At least last I knew there was a place in the city near me that the quarry got all different sizes made to order. Being MSHA regulated I don't think the quarry would have got their straps/slings made the if not approved.

  7. #7Natman2021-06-22 22:09

    I never really got on the web to look, just the largest suppliers in my state. Didn't want to get into some custom made thing. Most picks where I need more length, the coupling shackles don't get in the way, like the container I picked the other day, it's just mostly the hot tubes where they get in the way, making me want 30'ers. I will make a note of the sources quoted here, thanks. I love spending money on rigging, and on diesel fuel, it means I'm keeping busy!

  8. #81466IH2021-06-22 23:17

    Tulsa Chain is the best place I have found anywhere on the interwebs for rigging and if you call their 800 # they are super helpful.

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-06-23 07:37

    https://www.westechrigging.com/

  10. #10Natman2021-06-23 23:16

    The recovery straps are "rated" at 35 K breaking strength, and as their main use will be using two of them to lift sub 1 K hot tubs, I don't feel too bad about going off the reservation and buying them local, but I'm not going to make a habit out of not buying "real" rigging. These won't even be in the same compartment as my real rigging, but in the odds and end box. I consistently get compliments, as compared to other small timers in my area, about the quality and quantity of the rigging I carry. No Chinese tow chains, slings left in the bed of the truck in the sun, etc. the recovery straps though are made in China, another reason to downgrade them a healthy margin.

  11. #11Natman2021-06-24 08:06

    Back to real rigging: this commercial contractor had his own Conex specific rigging setup yesterday, with the cables long enough to be useable to a 40' also. Nice, but pretty much only good for lifting containers, which I do maybe a half dozen times a year or so, though this year I've done that or more already. PITA to haul around also

  12. #12Natman2021-06-24 08:08
  13. #13skyking12021-06-24 15:29

    Yeah that's a case for stacking some straps with shackles. Hang your long four way on the hook and build on out

  14. #14crane operator2021-06-26 13:03

    I'd vote to just pitch the "recovery straps". Its just not worth the liability. A single ply 30' strap rated for 6,400 in a basket is all of $36. Forget that cheap chinese junk. I've been using tulsa chain also for new rigging. I had a issue with a misprinted tag on some straps, and they were responsive and prompt on replacing them. Everything else has been great. Good pricing and prompt service is hard to beat.

  15. #15Sberry2021-06-26 13:24

    I use some of those straps. We not loading the snot put of them on commercial jobs.

  16. #16Natman2021-06-26 18:22

    I hear ya Crane Op, but they will ONLY be used for the occasional hot tub, and with a healthy "cheap Chinese junk" derating factor. Now that I've used them once I'm stuck with them, and it isn't the expense of buying proper 30' slings, I am too frugal to junk them outright. But as soon as I can I will either sell them cheap, re-purpose them, or give them to a worthy cause. Real rigging is dirt cheap.

  17. #17crane operator2021-07-17 14:57

    Guess who set a pool the other day with "recovery straps"? It was all rigged up from the customer unloading it the day before with their forklift, with their fresh bought harbor freight straps and shackles. It was hot and I just said screw it, it was under 2,000lbs, and I just didn't feel like unrigging it all.

  18. #18Natman2021-07-18 13:49

    I haven't used mine since...almost did on a gazebo pick, but remembered my promise here that I'd use them for hot tubs! I shackled up some 20' slings to make 40's, good thing as it turned out the 30' recovery straps would have been too short anyway. Another pool set the other day, another one coming up, all for the same crew and they are a good one, they are always a welcome change from truss setting.