New Hobby Lobby used recycled concrete as base in the parking lot, looked to be a 12" thick. Anyone else using this for base. We usually use lime rock or soil cement. STUMP KNOCKER
Check local listings. Around here its about 50/50. We have no limestone source close to our area. If we get limestone, it has been shipped via great lake freighter, or via railroad. Limestone goes to a few large yards. So you are paying top dollar for a product that has been shipped 300 miles, then a lot of the time we are trucking it another 20 + miles. Crushed concrete is a good alternative. It provides a good solid base, just like limestone.
I live in "lime stone central" 5 gravel pits with in 5 miles. so supply is not problem. You would probably cry if I told u what we pay . But I would take recycled concrete over limestone as it pack and drains better. Engineers r starting spec on job because of this.
I too live in "limestone country". Recycled concrete is pretty much nonexistent, I haven't had the opportunity to work with it since our crushed stone is so cheap. #57 (1/2-3/4" washed) is $12-15 a ton delivered. Here concrete is used as fill, recycled into rip-rap or "blocks" for retaining walls.
I have used it for base, trench backfill and in lieu of well graded stone in the reinforced zone of MSE walls. I love it/would love to get into the business of recycling it, but the startup capital required to have a legit operation scares me a bit. Main thing to watch out for if you're using it is percent of fines and consistency in gradation, an ill equipped or skilled operation will have dirt in the product or inconsistent gradations making it difficult to use on a large scale if meeting density is important. The other head scratcher I have seen with it is lack of settling when used in a trench backfill application and not placed in thin lifts....
No engineers will aprove it around here? We sell it to farmers to use on their roads all the time. They like it and it's cheaper than the crushed rock we make. We crush it to 1.5-.
It's used here quite often. It's called Tensar rock, I guess because they use the Tensar fabric underneath the rock. A few jobs even brought a portable crusher to the site. They crush onsite, reuse it as base. It's fairly cheap also, 8 bucks a ton, about 1 hour of haul time. The AB3 type rock is about 12 a ton, plus about 2 to 3 hours of haul time per load. They have 3 types of it for sale here, crushed concrete, crushed asphalt and a mix of the 2 products. We use the asphalt for temporary parking, it's doesn't have the wire pieces in it.