I know it's not your typical paint scheme but all my trucks are red and I want to slowly start working red into the machine paint schemes. Machine is not quite done, I plan on going with either red or black on idlers and rollers and if I do so I will probably change the finals to black too..... In my opinion I don't really like the red final but What do u think ? I also built a new box for the ac condensor, believe it or not it is high enough that you don't even know it's there. I was worried about it being in the way while looking backwards. Something else we have been doing lately is tinting all the windows you would be surprised how much it helps keep distracting light out during the day. The bottom pic is a before pic Pj
I like it, it sure is distinctive.
I like it also I would scratch the red final and paint the top red! there is a company in the ?southwest? called red top rentals they paint all of there equipment tops red but that is it I always liked the look..........my two bits......TIO
Lol. Reminds me of the old JCB colourscheme...
If its supposed to be on a job and you see it on a trailer going down the road it will be easy to tell its yours
It looks good and will set you apart from the rest.
Looks good PJ:thumbsup As for picking colors for a final drive I aint that particular as long as it stays quiet & keeps turning To be honest we have so many different brands of equipment & Paint colors to deal with I hadent even thought about trying to coordinate the equipment color with the truck.In my opinion Is hard to go wrong with "flat black" paint on areas like the finals that will get scratched up or even the hood of the machine to cut down on the glare of the sun.
But the black on the Hyd, cylinder's???? Black sucks up heat.
Grandpa now your just nit picking, but I am quite certain that it makes no difference on cyl color about every cat rolling off the line now sports the color, there is also flat black on the hood too,.....oh and the radiators have always been black ;-) The more I look at it I am with TIO the bottoms going to be be black not red. Pj
My 2 cents. I think if I was looking for something distinctive I'de be looking to paint parts of the machine that weren't always down in the dirt, hood, fuel tank, cab, ROPS, maybe..? Let's face it a lot of the paint on the blade, etc, is going to get worn right off the first time the machine does some hard work. All our tractors have matt black hood & cylinders, plus the back side of the blade. It's so that working at night the lights don't reflect back off the top of the tractor into the operator's eyes. We've not had any major cylinder issues and our oldest machine is well over 20k hours now. View attachment 108126
I like it, I think I'd paint the cylinders red, maybe even the A/C...
Don't like it at all, looks like an afterthought. The red paint on the engine louvers is especially bad, I spend all my time trying to figure out what letters they are. If you're going to paint parts red, go big or go home.
nice job on the condenser relocation and cover fab. The original retrofit was kind of a half Ars (learned this "word" from the UK guys on here) job. I second nige's comments about not detailing stuff with color that is in the dirt all day. Maybe paint the entire undercarriage black like an excavator? I see individualism as lack of laziness, some see it as lack of job productivity, but at the end of the day it is whatever turns your crank.....TIO
IO - the correct espression is "half-arsed", but the effort gets you today's Girl Scout cookie ......... :tong Thinking about it I like the idea of black undercarriage too.
As far as the black cylinders , aren't all the new T series cylinders black from the factory. The E backhoes are.
Matt black hood, blade, and cylinders on all large tractors are a Custom Shop attachment - reference 1Z-0886. Cat charge you about $1000 for the privilege of changing the colour from yellow to black ......... So many come off the assembly line like that now it wouldn't surprise me if it soon became standard - with an accompanying upward price adjustment in the cost of the tractor of course ............
Thanks for all the kind words guys oh and a special thanks to KOR for the input as well lol I agree on wasting time on painting the dirt parts too but 'eh it had to be painted anyways and it didn't take an extra 15min of work the machine was in the shop for some major work anyways and it's kinda a spare machine anyways so I'm in no rush, I believe you all are right on back of blade black and poss the entire bottom, the main reason I didn't paint the whole thing red (outside of the fact that I have 60gal of cat yellow) is the fact that later in life when I sell off the machine it will be easy to paint over some of the red parts so maybe the next guy might not think it's too customized ?? What are your thoughts on that? The machine has almost 10k on it so I'll be retiring it within a year or two Would anyone know of a set of used sweeps laying around ? I have a buddy that has a waterjet that is supposed to be cutting me some logos out of 1/2" thick stainless I am going to start welding on buckets and booms and blades etc so we'll see how those turn out when he finally cuts them.....I've only been on his ass to do it for about a year now lol Pj
Reminds me of a guy in northern CA who painted all his dozer cylinders like barber poles back in the 70's I guess for the Bicentennial. Cool look!
Finally done. I think it is interesting how much higher the trunnions ended up after new bottom was installed..... I might be over my transport height now :tong Pj
I know where there's a set of used sweeps maybe, the individual tubes aren't bent but some of the welds are popped or ripped. I'll find out if its still avail. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
They'll need modified to work with those rops anyhow. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I like it alot! Too much color changing may hurt resale value but you have made it look distinctive and sharp! Nice job.
I like the color of it. But I think it looks more good if you will add the color of red on that machine.
Semi dead thread I know but I just wanted to share one last pic of the machine, headed out to its first job Really I'm just trying to show off my truck lol Pj
Now THAT is a bad ass machine there! Maybe someday I'll have me one....not likely tho Pj
What! No Cat yellow on the truck?!! Just kidding, nice looking outfit. I've always liked the idea of having a distinctive look to a fleet.
This is the yellow one
Hell of a rig for moving a 6 I like it though. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I was thinking that too. OK if it's yours but to rent something that big in from an outside haulier to move something as small as a D6 would surely not be cost-effective. Painted up the right way it makes a hell of an advertising billboard for the business though.
It's mine, I got a good deal on the trailer and was tired of maxing out the lil 5 axle rig with the d7h, I figured it would probably be the last rig I bought for a while so it's either go big or go home lol. The bitch about it is that with a 963c I weigh about 90k......oops Pj
If you think a 963 is large - try hauling this ....
Is that T 800 pulling the yellow lowboy an old Dura - Crete tractor.
Lol nige yeah I think I might have to flip the 4th axle over for that load Mitch I think it is, I have never seen a scheme like that before, where is duracrete ?
Dura Crete was a precast concrete company out of Dayton Ohio. They sold out to CSR i think that was their name and they relabeled the trucks with that name. It sure looks like their old paint scheme.