Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reduce track tension on John Deere 650G dozer (1994 model)

MrChuckles · 2019-01-29 21:59

I bought a 1994 JD 650G. It's in pretty good shape except when it arrived it looks to me like they over tensioned the tracks. Thay have virtually no sag. The manual appears pretty straight forward. It says loosen the check valve about one or two turns to release grease. Then tighten the check valve, drive around so the tracks adjust, and check it again. My question is this; Will I get a whole lot of high pressure grease coming out of that vent hole when the grease begins to come out? Is there anything special I need to know or look out for before I try it? Thanks in advance.

Replies15
  1. #1petepilot2019-01-29 22:12

    if your machine is like mine there is a ball in the release try not to loose it` grease will not have extreme pressure

  2. #2mg23612019-01-30 05:01

    No, the grease will just ooze out.

  3. #3Vetech632019-01-30 06:58

    Like MG said, it will ooze out...…….then end up on ever roller , rail link, an grouser pad if you don't wipe it off. LOL

  4. #4MrChuckles2019-01-30 08:12

    Thank you all. I'll give it a go, and clean it up so I don't grease the outside of the machine as well.

  5. #5DMiller2019-01-30 08:46

    While tight do a measurement inspection on your rails, have seen quite a few that tensioned them tight as banjo strings trying to keep slopped rails on the rollers and Not walking off. If have worn significantly may see a rail slip off in turns.

  6. #6MrChuckles2019-01-30 08:52

    I'll post a picture of the rollers later. They seem to look like they have a lot of life left. I'd like your opinion though and will get the pics up later.

  7. #7DMiller2019-01-30 08:59

    Speaking of Pins and Bushings. If worn very far will get snake like and no way to keep from rolling off when normally tensioned. I oughta know, own one like that!

  8. #8StanRUS2019-01-30 12:51

    No need to drive the machine around, just stick a old shaft or even block of wood between the sprocket segment-rail (upper front side) and back up a bit.

  9. #9MrChuckles2019-01-30 18:14

    Here a few pictures of my undercarriage. I’m new at this but don’t think they would be bad enough to come off if the track tension was adjusted properly. What do you think?

  10. #10MrChuckles2019-01-30 18:16

    Here are a few more pictures.

  11. #11doublewide2019-01-30 19:36

    Sprockets look great.

  12. #12SVTSHELBYGT5002019-01-31 07:31

    Looks like you're due for a cutting edge on the blade ?

  13. #13DMiller2019-01-31 09:24

    Little plug on pins indicates SALT or Sealed and Lubricated pins/bushings so likely good to go there, As noted sprockets look good, Upper idler shows fair wear as do faces on bottom of rail segments(saw rolled steel on a few shots). Loosen the adjuster bleed offs and as has been instructed a shaft or bar stock even schedule 80 pipe into a tooth slot and back gently into it to pull idlers back. Then set as specs call for and try to drive in hard turns see if rails try to jump, suspect they won't. With the rails relaxed prop the machine on the blade, get blocks under the rails at the idlers and inspect the Lower rollers for Wear depth, play in bearings, Flat Spots as that indicates failure to adequately roll or locked up, check for flange damage as from debris passing. Those look good likely will outlast you.

  14. #14Bluox2019-01-31 09:31

    Looks like they may have replaced the tracks and sprockets but didn't change the bottom rollers. Bob

  15. #15MrChuckles2019-01-31 13:07

    Thanks to all, especially DMiller. I'll give it a go when it warms up a bit and before using it. I appreciate the help. Chuck