Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Refueling

countrylife ยท 2009-09-10 21:56

For those of you who deal with about 50 to 100 gallons when you refuel, how do you handle that? (I assume everyone uses the dyed fuel? Or is it to much of a hassle to worry about?) Do you have a fuel truck deliver it to your equipment tank, or do you use a bulk tank that you transfer fuel from? If you use a bulk tank do you have to have some sort of fuel permit or license?

Replies9
  1. #1roddyo2009-09-10 22:09

    I use a pickup transfer tank. Under 125 gallons.

  2. #2EZ TRBO2009-09-10 23:15

    For the crushing crews they have a large 500 gal, double walled tank on site that the fuel truck comes and fills up, as well as tops off the rest of the equipment. For myself I carry 120 gals of fuel on a transfer tank in my truck. The place we get our fuel from has pumps with a key system, my fuel in my tank is not dyed but is all tracked via my key that is only used for off road fuel. Trbo

  3. #3heavylift2009-09-11 00:01

    we have tanks in pick-up, trailers 500-2000 galllon, ! 6000? gallon old hiway trailer, which all get dirt beams built around them.... they really need a fuel truck to visit the equipment. Fuel companies here rent tanks, various sizes, heck they may even be free for all know. I ran a 955 vermeer about 10 years ago. al we had was a pickup tank, It was full of fuel the first day, after that never could keep it full of fuel. 125 gallons in the morning ,another 125 at noon.. a real pain Back in the 80's i drove a fuel truck after hours. Corps job only allowed 10 hours. The fuel truck didn't count. so I would get 2-3 hours extra every night

  4. #4544D102009-09-11 00:03

    Same here as above, double walled 500 gallon tanks filled up when needed. We have had some jobs that don't require large amounts of fuel and have used 55 gallon drums delivered by the same fuel company.

  5. #5AustinPSD2009-09-11 10:42

    I use a 300 gal. bulk tank on a stand (gravity feed), dyed off-road diesel that gets periodically refilled by my supplier. This is in the equipment yard. I have a 91 gal. transfer tank in the bed of my truck for remote fueling when the equipment is not in the yard. I transfer fuel from the bulk tank to my truck tank every week after the bulk tank is refilled.

  6. #6tonka2009-09-11 12:18

    When i worked in Las Wages, i would drive my hoe right up to the pump at the filling station. I drove the fuel truck in CA for 2 years, 2000 gal o fun! Now i just pull up to the tank at work 2000 gal 120 gal every 2days or so...

  7. #7OneWelder2009-09-11 15:28

    It kinda depends on your situation- some areas have fueling services - small amounts it is easier to transfer from pickup Aux. fueling tank - lg amounts get a stationary tank and have filled by fuel co - or as I said get a fueling service if available Also in my state you can get fuel tax back if used off road - BUT THERE is PAPER WORK

  8. #8EGS2009-09-11 21:50

    We have the fuel companies (usually a farmers co-op) come out at night and fuel our equipment. We use a lot of fuel, this spring we where using 7,100 a day. Right now I think we are using around 5,500 to 6,000 a day.

  9. #9joispoi2009-09-13 08:19

    The best solution for that amount of fuel would be a transfer tank in a service truck. On site storage tanks are convenient for both the contractor and the occaissional fuel thief. Depending on where you are, that balance between convenience and security will have to be adjusted.