Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

regarding track sizes

d-oh ยท 2009-03-23 14:40

I'm pretty new to the industry and figured a lot of you experts could help me out. I would like to know more about the Cat undercarriage/track size standard, such as D3, D4, D5, etc. I know that the designation refers to the Cat dozers, but I've heard many non-Cat manufacturers refer to their undercarriage (specifically the track pad/grouser) system using it. My question is: Does that mean that even non-Cat machine use tracks pads that are the same size as the ones that fit Cat dozers? If two different non-Cat machines use the D3 size, for example, can I know for sure that they are using the same track pad size? Thanks in advance, all.

Replies8
  1. #1joispoi2009-03-23 19:02

    No and no.

  2. #2td25c2009-03-23 19:57

    Are you thinking of installing a cat undercarrige or pads on another brand of dozer? I can Install a d8 undercarrge on my IH td 25,But The adapter kit was expensive.So I did not Pursue it.Years ago I did put a IH td20 carrige on a allis chalmers hd 16a.I used the bottom rollers, front idler,sprocket,& tracks.Alot hole drilling & welding,I worked great.I had bothe tractors in stock.The allis hd16 was running but the carrige was shot.The td 20 was a parts tractor with a great carrige.And I was young with not allot of money in my pocket,But I made it work.

  3. #3CM19952009-03-23 21:39

    Track links and track pads can vary from one year model or series machine to the next. My 953C 2004 runs a "hybrid" track, specific to a certain range of serial numbers. A 2002 or 2006 953C may have a totally different track group and pads. If you need an undercarriage for your machine, the best thing to do is contact your supplier of choice and they will give you instructions on measuring the pitch of your chains and the bolt patterns for the shoes.

  4. #4dumpchuck2009-03-23 21:57

    Some Cat track chains will fit other makes of machines, for instance the chains and shoes on a cat 973 will will work on a Liebherr 641 track loader, I have been told that the same chains will also work on some older D7's. They also use the same carrier rollers. But as stated above, Contact your supplier and they should be able to tell you what works, be it Cat, Berco, ITM, etc.

  5. #5stock2009-03-24 00:12

    The 8k above has a track group off a komatsu 155 fitted ,I am reliably informed that the chains off the high sprocket d8 have the same pitch but use a heavier link which wont work on this model.

  6. #6d-oh2009-03-24 15:10

    Hmm, I seemed to have been very confused, and that hasn't changed still. I sort of understand now that each machine model in question should be examined to determine its undercarriage configuration. But I'm still puzzled as to why some non-Cat manufacturers refer to D3, D4, etc. when talking about the tracks for their machines. For example, one manufacturer (not Cat) has in the 'tracks' section in its manual: Two 6.735โ€ (171 mm) pitch D4 tracks with 92โ€ (2337 mm) track gauge, 111.5โ€ (2832 mm) track sprocket idlers and polyurethane replaceable pads. I've noticed more of this in other pieces of literature as well as from some representatives. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks.

  7. #7John C.2009-03-24 21:53

    Check out the tracks section on this site. It will explain a lot about tracks. http://www.constructioncentric.com/forum/YaBB.pl

  8. #8CatManDoes2009-09-21 05:02

    Hi.. The post was informative.....