Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Remote-Control Bobcats

EquipmentEditor ยท 2007-11-16 12:14

Has anyone had any experience with Bobcat's new remote control? We videotaped a demonstration and are working on a more in-depth look, too. Would be interested in your take. To see the video, scroll down the "ICUEE" side of this page: http://www.constructionequipment.com/index.asp?layout=videositeTOC http://www.constructionequipment.com/index.asp?layout=videositeTOC

Replies8
  1. #1EquipmentEditor2007-11-30 11:48

    Maybe it's too early for feedback on operations. Any feedback on the concept? How 'bout the guys on the tape ?

  2. #2mowzall2007-11-30 13:03

    Good clip Down with the Luddites! Embrace technology! Remote control is a natural way to go, even better is computer control, we already use GPS and laser leveling, the quicker we can get the man out of the machine the better for the industry. I am just surprised that with the relatively cheap products available more small machine manufacturers are not offering "factory" packages instead of owners using third party suppliers. My first remote control experience 15 years ago was a demo hammer http://www.brokk.com

  3. #3digger242j2007-11-30 13:55

    I apologize; I didn't see this thread when you first posted it, or I'd have replied then. Very interesting concept. We had some discussion in another thread recently, about "feedback" in a machine's control system. While there was some divergence of opinions there, I think the concept of the value of "seat of the pants" feeling was recognized in that discussion. Obviously, you'd lose that in any RC machine. That might not be a dis advantage in every case, but I can't think of a case where that loss would prove to be an advantage. Certainly, in cases where operator safety is an overiding concern, it would be a good compromise. For the same reasons, I'm not sure an operator could be quite as productive operating from a remote position as he might be from the traditional operator's seat. I suspect that, particularly on uneven ground, I'd be inclined to slow down some, since I have great faith in the seat of my pants telling me when I'm getting close to the tipping limits of the machine. I don't know whether my eyes alone could keep me informed as reliably. It would be interesting to give it a try. The discussion, late in the video, about being able to do close tolerance work more efficiently, because the operator would be able to move himself to the best position to see the work, rather than being confined to the seat, has some merit. I question how often that would come up though. Initially, my thoughts went to whether the RC skidsteer would have any use in making it possible for one operator to attend to running two machines (nearly) simultaneously. Perhaps the RC skidsteer could place bedding stone in the trench, while the operator remained in the excavator. On the other hand, I've always looked at skidsteers as sort of an "entry level" machine for prospective operators. They're intuitive enough that most people can master the basics (left/right, up/down, and dump/rollback), in a few minutes. Is it worth the cost of the RC option when you can toss a laborer in the seat to do the basic moving a bucketful of material? Disclaimer: I've primarily been involved in excavation for residential construction, and the associted utilities, for most of my career. Somebody with experiences in different types of work may have a different set of opinions. The guy from Bobcat seemed real professional. Where'd you dig up that other guy? Heavy Equipment Forums? While composing the above, mowzall posted his commets. Maybe, but in this case, that's all you're doing is getting the man out of the machine. The man is still performing 100% of the control functions. And to mowzall, even if I am a Luddite, welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!

  4. #4Squizzy246B2007-11-30 15:58

    We went to a field day using the remote control plate compactors....great, a logical application and great for safety. I suppose the people to ask would be the stripping shovel operators....many of the shovels are remote controlled, particularly in coal mines.

  5. #5bobcat ron2007-11-30 18:30

    I'm totally for it, as long as Bobcat get those awful SJC bugs worked out, I beat the hell out of all my nitro powered R/C vehicles on a weekend basis and I can't imagine how much more fun it would be to get paid to sit on my arse moving little joy sticks around.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-11-30 19:58

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums mowzall! :drinkup

  7. #7bobcatmechanic2008-03-27 00:30

    bobcat designed this to get a jump on the military market for 2012 when some many military machines have to be un maned and for the minnig and hazordous jobs markets as said in the clip they can be added to all sjc and only sjc machines with version 64 or higher software in the computer i have not run or seen one yet but from what i here the range is very good but as it gets further away the response seems to slow down it is just like running it from inside the cab you can control all the functions from out side like aux hyd for example so it seems like a very nice system and yes they need to get the sjc bugs worked out of the bobcat system i work for a dealership and have firsts hand knowledge of these said problems

  8. #8bonanno232008-03-27 19:56

    i could see the military having a use for an RC. If you're going to be demoing something that its unsafe for the operater to be in the machine, rent something that will work. I can't see that RC being all that great. If you're working on a rd or site job and have to travel far distance, would you have to walk with the machine so you could see everything infront of the bucket. Oh i know, maybe the next option will be a pair of googles that have a built in camera mounted in the operaters seat so it seems like you're in the machine. I heard Cat was coming out with a johny 5 replica that will run the machine while you take a nap. what happened to having skills.