A little project I've started. Little? Yeah, right! Replacing the tired old VG4D with a newer tighter same model powerplant I got on Craigslist. The integrity of the stator is suspect so now we need to remove the flywheel. Not sure about anybody else, but anytime I've attempted this exercise, it often seems to take a pretty robust puller, hardened bolts, penetrating oil, a torch, and steady nerves. Well this one has been no different with the exception of not being able to get the thing to budge, at all. I think I've done everything, from greasing the threads and the end of the puller (harmonic balancer type) to help minimize friction while applying the load. Grade 8 bolts threaded deeply into the opposing threaded holes on the flywheel itself. Heating with the torch as evenly as I can, even to the point where I'm starting to some some "bluing" of the shaft that this is trying to be separated from. Reading the manual suggests, and I quote: Firmly grasp the fins of the flywheel with one hand while using a babbet hammer to strike the end of the shaft to release the flywheel". Tried that. The closest thing I got to a babbet hammer is a 3 lb, brass headed little number I like to call George. No luck. Of course the next logical step has been the puller and the hammer. And then of course you start to introduce the heat thing to the equation. I've even gone as far as tightening the puller as much as I dare (thinking something is going to explode!), soak it with Aero-Kroil, leave it over night, in hopes that I'll find the damn thing on the floor when I check it in the morning. I'm not ready to give in just yet mind you, and just in case you're wondering, yes I made sure to remove the big ass nut and security washer from the shaft. Somebody else already asked me that .....I could sure use some suggestions from someone more experienced than myself.:notworthy I'm starting to dream up something that might bolt up to the flywheel that would include a bottle jack, or maybe that Slidesledge gadget? Hmmmm..........
I did not see your post till now. I have removed a few of these. In the last month I took two off of VH4D's. All you need to do is hit the end of the crank shaft with a two pound hammer. You don't need a brass hammer. If it don't come off in a couple of blows hit it harder. You went to a lot of unnecessary work.
I just removed another Wisconsin flywheel yesterday and realized I made a little mistake in my above post. I know the book says to use a babbit hammer and not to use a hard hammer because you might damage the crank or engine bearings. My 2 pound hammer method did not work on a flywheel that had been on since 1948 or so, and yes it was a hard hammer. I held a steel bar of round stock against the crank with my butt against the flywheel shroud I took a short handled 10 pound sledge and hit the end of the round stock. On the third light hit the flywheel was off.