I was hired to remove a tree for a resident. I got the tree down no problem, but the mark out shows electrical wires about 2 feet from the stump. My original plan was do dig the stump and roots out. But now I am reconsidering. Seem to be to risky for that. I am thinking of renting a stump grinder. Looking for opinions and or maybe an alternative method. Thanks
You can do that easily with a stump grinder. I am in the stump grinding business, and run into these situations quite often. Just be sure you call out the line locators to get an accurate location. Then, BE CAREFUL. I usually will grind only to about 6" of any flagged/marked lines. I am not sure what the margin of error is for those guys that mark the locations. However, 2 feet should be no problem.
In many areas it will say no power tools within 36" of the utility without pot holing by hand to locate the utility. It will say on your digging hotline requirements. Any closer than what it says and you end up the responsible party. Read the requirements for your area and don't be afraid to ask questions of them.
Be careful! Before you dig with machinery, find the actual wire location. Hand dig to find the tracer or the fill of the wire trench. Utility location markings may or may not be accurate. It hardly matters who's responsibility it is, if your dead. Stump grind 6 inches below the surface, after you actually know where the wires are, seems like a good solution.
Well, 6" is usually a safe depth for major utility lines. However, local cable providers and internet providers are notorious for burying just below the grass. I have seen Charter and Fios cable lines less than 2" below surface.
Utility company wires or secondary wires that belong to the homeowner ?
I would never bet on that the main line running to the local Vo-tech school is only a few inches below the ground running through the middle of a field.
If the main is that shallow I would be making sure the local utility knew about it. The NEC does not allow electrical to be that shallow and I'm sure the utility would fix it other than risk liability. How ever using any power tool with in the specified distance of a utility with out pot holing and finding it is bad business.
Never trust locates!!! I have personally seen high voltage conduit runs at less than a foot below finish grade( might have been deeper when installed but guessing later someone took a couple feet off the grade) Around here it is a 3 foot lateral limit for machinery digging, A little hand work will save you from having a really bad day if the locates are marked wrong or shallow Most locators around here will not give you a depth even if their equipment show it because of safety/liability issues.
Supposed to be min of 30" deep in most areas. But yea, iffn your dead it doesn't much matter who's fault it is. If you need the stump out you could hand dig around it and cut off the tap root and outroots with a chainsaw. Sometimes you can't have a hole popping up later like if it's in a horse pasture etc...