My machine is a 2008 Takeuchi TB016 but interminable and fruitless exchanges with ChatGPT make me think there are perhaps principles that may apply to more than my machine. I've removed four obvious 17mm bolts from underneath, and two others that I happened to be able to see. I lot of levering the cover front and back i.e. left and right, holding it there and thumping with a club hammer (careless of minor dings -- I want the cover off!); almost trying to hoist it off but dissuaded by the chat thing that says there are things that don't appear in the manual or parts catalogue. E.g. "The two most likely causes (based on your symptoms) 1️⃣ Two rusted locating dowels (most common) 2️⃣ Cowling hooked under counterweight lip Both allow small sideways movement but prevent lifting." The chat (okay let's iconise this: ) says my problem is not uncommon with diggers. Hmm. I'll try to add pics.Oh, four's the limit. Now I can't delete any. Arse. Please add at least one respondent. Heck I want the whole world to know. Is 'Add conversation' the wrong rubric?? How to Add Question??
Instead of ChatGPT, what does the service manual have to say on the subject ?
Thanks for responding. In TB016 Workshop Manual CC4E002, Machine Configuration, Upper Frame, Removing the Covers. Page III-37 3. Take off the six bolts and remove the engine cover F (5). A few pages earlier (III-32) I see a reference to F but it is an 'Under Cover F' item 4 in the diagram I will load. There's a limit of 3 pics so I'll be careful. The yellow circled holes are from Stephen Hooker's photo after he'd removed the cover, one from in a bit each side . I couldn't be sure that two of the bolts I removed were these -- further in from the sides -- but they were all I could find.
Unique video, i.e. the only one I can find on the removal of engine cover/cowling of Takeuchi TB016 "Once you took those six bolts out it literally lifts straight off." I.e. contrary to what ChatGPT tells me there are no rusted locating lugs, no trapped lips to cope with.
Dunnit. I've only thought of giving this update cos I'm looking for summat else. I'll give details if someone wants to know.