Hi all. I know there's a thread somewhere about removing oil from coolant, but for the life of me I can't find it. My problem is I found engine oil in the radiator of one of our tractors prepping it for winter. Pulled the radiator and had it leak checked and they found a leak in the engine oil cooler once it got warm and under pressure. I pulled the T-stat and purged the remaining coolant from the block with air and saw only clean coolant, no oil. I plan fill with water and flush again when it's warmer, but is there something I can add to help remove any residual oil. I've heard adding dawn dish soap works, but I don't know how well or what ratio to use. I'd like to get the system as clean as possible before filling the radiator, but realize I might have to get everything up to operating temp to help get out the remaining oil.
Find some non-foaming detergent like Cascade or similar. Anything designed to be used in a dishwashing machine will work. If it's liquid simply drop a pint or so straight into in the radiator, if it's powder dissolve a good mug full of it in a gallon or so of warm water first before adding it into the radiator. Top up with clean water and run the engine until it is at full operating temperature. Let it run for an hour or so, you won't hurt it. Drain the mixture and refill with clean water, run for 5 mins and drain again, if necessary repeat the 5 minute process with clean water again. Once the water coming out is clean top up the cooling system with new coolant.
One thing to add. After you drain out the soap mixture, when you add clean water back in, it should be reasonably warm (even hot) to minimize any chance of cracking the head or block.
One other thing in addition to the above. If there is a way to connect a water hose to the drain for the radiator or engine do that and let water go in the drain and flow out the top of the radiator. Oil floats on water and it may help get the oil out by taking advantage of this in place of trying to force it to travel down through the radiator core and through the engine. I would not be surprised it it took half a dozen doses of the soap mixture followed by that many flushes between to get all signs of oil out. I went through this problem with a 988H Cat a couple years ago and forget how many times we soaped and flushed with clear water to get it out. Maybe we just use too good oil that just does not like to let go of the metal.
I too use the Cascade dishwasher powder. About 2-1/2 Lbs in a 3406 sized engine, I use the pressure washer at 200 degrees to dissolve it in a bucket then pour it in and fill the engine with hot water. Run engine for 1/2 hour and rinse with more hot water and another 1/2 hour run. Usually that takes care of it. I had one really bad case in a 3406E where the coolant looked like chocolate mousse... I used 10 Lbs the first time. That was all it took. That engine was spotless internally.
Dishwasher detergent has been neutered in the last few years in the US. Get yourself some real trisodium phosphate to use instead of or half and half with dishwasher detergent. You can still order it online if it's not available locally.
TSP is typically available at any hardware store, builder's center, DIY chain (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) in the masonry or tile departments, commonly used to clean concrete slabs and floors.
When the oil coolers fail on these newer engines and a delete kit is installed.. the instructions call for Cascade in the cooling system.. Remove the thermostat and let the water flow..
Thanks for the replies. I failed to mention this is for an older Ford ag tractor, so no DPF or other emission stuff. I'll mix up some stuff and try a couple flushes with hot water. I'll try to flush with low pressure first as the radiator is out, then do a flush with it running.
Figured I should update this since finished it. I ended up flushing the system 3 times with Cascade and twice with straight water before I finally got it clean. Used about 3 lbs. of Cascade altogether. Thanks again for the help.
Ive always used simple green when I have a oil cooler fail. Pull the thermostat, open the petcock, pour it in and let it run and drain with a hose in the degas bottle or radiator. Usually use a gallon or so at a time.
We use scalding hot water and mix cascade and dawn together and it will take any oil off anything or out of anything.