Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing Excavator Thumb

delectric123 ยท 2016-04-25 22:39

We are looking into putting on a thumb, most likely hydraulic, on our 25 ton excavator. The estimated thumb weight is about 1500 lbs so I'm wondering if there is a way to conveniently remove it to gain 1500 lbs lifting capacity?

Replies10
  1. #1farmerlund2016-04-26 11:31

    Depends on how it is mounted. If the thumb is mounted with the same pin as the bucket, it takes a little time to take off. Some thumbs have a separate pivot pin on the stick. those are a lot easier to remove. I think it depends what kind of work you are using it for. heavy demo work and lots of trees I think the one mounted with bucket pin is stronger. Lighter us or a lot of switching back and forth the separate pin type may be more what you want. I have a Volvo 210blc with a solosbees bucket pin type and do a lot of demo and big trees. never had a problem with it. takes me and a helper about a hour to to remove mine. And about the same to install. I don't take mine off very often maybe once every 2 years for a ditching job, than I put on a 72" bucket. I do not have a quick tach bucket.

  2. #2Shimmy12016-04-26 19:54

    I have a stick-mounted thumb. It takes about 15 min to put on or take off with 2 guys, half-hour by myself. If you don't have a coupler, it's going to take longer because you need the bucket off to do it efficiently. To install, put the cylinder on first. Lean the thumb up against the bucket. Stretch the stick all the way out, and position it over the thumb. Line up pin, install. Cylinder pin is easy, and you're done. This is the reason I went with a stick-mounted thumb. I have mine off and on probably 2-3 times per month. If I needed my thumb 100% of the time, I would most definitely have a pin-mounted thumb. But, in my application (and quite a few others) the ability to quickly remove or install is more important then being slightly more user-friendly. JMO

  3. #3delectric1232016-04-26 22:14

    Thanks for the ideas! Anybody else?

  4. #4delectric1232016-04-26 22:16

    Yes I'm going to have a coupler. What brand thumb do you have? Is it linkage style?

  5. #5Shimmy12016-04-27 01:13

    I have an ACS. They come without the tines welded on so you can space them whatever you want. I built mine with 5 tines, and an extra support through the ends of the tines. It's not a link-style. A progressive link has more arc than a direct model, but way harder to put on and take off.

  6. #6delectric1232016-04-27 21:26

    If I'd have a coupler then the only thing yet to remove would be one cylinder pin, and disconnect the hoses, right?

  7. #7movindirt2016-04-27 21:29

    If it pins through the main pin then you would still have to pull the main pin, which means then you are juggling the Q/C while your removing the thumb, and unless you have 2 different pins you'll be running a pin thats probably 4" too long without the thumb.

  8. #8delectric1232016-04-27 21:58

    According to this picture, with a quick coupler the thumb and the bucket would be detached except for the cylinder pin. Or am I missing something?

  9. #9Shimmy12016-04-27 23:33

    You can't use a pin mounted thumb with a coupler, unless it's on the coupler pin. The geometry doesn't work because the bucket pin moves in an arc instead of on an axis. It would kind of work, but it wouldn't fold up properly.

  10. #10delectric1232016-04-28 21:19

    Okay, I see. Makes sense.