Trying to remove speed sensor to inspect. After removing the nut that retains the hose/sheath for the sensor at the drive I find that it will not pull out with gentle tugging. Any help appreciated.
That is just the conduit for the harness. You have to remove that cover the harness goes in to. Should be four bolts holding it on. Under that cover you'll see the harness plug. Sensor has an Allen screw holding it. Remove the screw, gently pry out the sensor.
Should look similar to this:
Excellent.
Got it off. Can’t see any visible signs of chafing on the wiring. Getting ready to check continuity on 4 wires from harness. Guessing there is no way to check sensor? Maybe swap the plug to lh sensor?
Harness meters to be in good shape. Debating now whether to clean connectors really well and stick everything back together or just get a new sensor.
What's the issue?
Getting alert on RH hyd drive speed abnormal pulse width speed frequency. I have verified signal voltage at the machine side of the plug.
Long thread on problem HeavyEquipmentForums
Cleaned connectors and speed sensor. Problem still there. Swapped right and left hand inboard sensor plugs. Problem went to left side. A smart guy would have known to do that first but I usually do things the hard way. I will pick up a speed sensor Wednesday.
I feel your pain. I'm dealing with the same problem on my 299c. Took me a day and a half to troubleshoot. My wiring tested good, but I didn't do the swap because it took 4 hours to get the one sensor out (the 299c sensor is a royal pain to get out). Got a new sensor on the way and praying that will fix it. What were your symptoms? Anything besides the alert like the drive cutting out? How hard was it to get your sensor out? Be sure to report back on your results.
Swapped connectors for sensors left to right. Problem changed from RH speed sensor to LH on display. Swapped connectors back and installed new RH sensor. Fixed it. Sensor was hard to get to. Limited working space. Remove the guard and there is only a 6mm allen holding it in.
If you want more room you can usually jack the machine up and slide the track frame out a good few inches. Its only the 2 caps on the end and maybe a few zip ties on the hoses.
When I mentioned swapping connectors, these are the connectors under the cab of the machine.
Interesting! I need to figure how to do that. Does it require taking the track off?
Okay so you didn't move the sensors from one side to the other? You swapped the connectors under the cab?
Took me longer than it should have to get that Allen bolt out, but my bigger problem was how hard the sensor was to get out after the bolt was out. Couldn't get a grip to pull on it or anything wedged to twist it out. Not sure if that sensor is aftermarket and just fit tighter, but it almost seemed seized in there.
Nope. Pretty easy to do, just don't slide it off the axle shaft much more than halfway or you'll have a bit of a fight on your hands.
Yes. They are exactly the same. I had to take a screwdriver and gently pry the sensor out. Very gently. It has an o ring that makes it fit really tight.
Any tips on how you got it out.