Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing hydraulic cap old 580ck

GT1955 · 2019-04-08 15:19

I have a old 580 ck on the farm and want to replace the hydraulic filter but cannot get the cap to move, any suggestions would he greatly appreciated. Cap sits by hydraulic fill on top of reservoir. Thanks to everyone, also I have learned a lot from all the great knowledgeable people on here. Thanks again for your help

Replies16
  1. #1mudober2019-04-08 21:23

    You have to push down and turn left it’s like a radiator cap.

  2. #2GT19552019-04-08 21:27

    Thanks, I never would of thought it was like that, appreciate the help, I knew the expert s would know, thanks again

  3. #3GT19552019-04-09 15:53

    I tried pushing down and Turning but I could not get it to push down, I attached a picture just to make sure we are same page.

  4. #4mudober2019-04-09 18:28

    Sorry that’s not what I thought you were trying to remove.

  5. #5mudober2019-04-09 18:31

    Is that tube coming across connected to cylindrical housing with the hex nut on top? If not it should turn to the left to come loose.

  6. #6GT19552019-04-09 19:27

    The tube going across is for the arms, the filter housing is just the cannister with nut on top, I tried loosen it but no luck, put some heat on it, but not much because of rubber o rings, I still could not turn, afraid to put to much on it because of breaking it. Any suggestions on loosing it? Thanks for your help.

  7. #7mudober2019-04-09 19:45

    Ok I got it. Put your wrench on it, then put a small ratchet strap on the end of the wrench tie off to something, put pressure on it but not too much. Spray the bottom of the canister with WD-40 and let it sit overnight. If that don’t do increase pressure and try again.

  8. #8GT19552019-04-09 20:05

    Got it, thanks again for all your help.

  9. #9Delmer2019-04-09 20:46

    try peening it, with the smallest ball peen hammer you have, lightly tap around the base where the threads are. I assume the canister has outside threads and the housing has inside threads?

  10. #10GT19552019-04-09 20:50

    That is correct on the threads, the cannister is female and base Male, I tried tapping on it as I was applying pressure but no luck. Thanks for feedback

  11. #11Tinkerer2019-04-09 21:02

    Air impact wrench. Low air pressure. Increase the ap as needed. This is another example of over-tightening a filter canister. Six sided impact socket only.

  12. #12GT19552019-04-10 06:40

    Thanks Tinkerer, have not tried that. And you are correct, whoever put this on got it way to tight. We have to do a lot of this stuff ourselves now, would be nice to take to professional but it is hard out here trying to make a living on the farm now days. Thanks again

  13. #13Delmer2019-04-10 17:12

    are you still working on this? if the canister has the female threads, then heat it up to 200F around the threads and try again.

  14. #14GT19552019-04-10 18:49

    Will do, I am still trying, I am determined. Thanks for the help,

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2019-04-14 09:53

    I hope you had good luck getting the filter housing off. Sometimes best to take complete housing off and put it in bench vise so you can get at it. Remember though the housing is aluminum and will break. Use lots of penetrating oil and some heat with light hammer work.

  16. #16GT19552019-04-14 10:33

    I did get it off, some heat and tapping with a hammer and a lot of penetrateig oil and a breaker bar. Thanks for all the help from everyone, it is great to have a place to go and get expert advice. Of course the case place gave me the wrong filter the first time but that is just my luck. Thanks again for the help.