Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing hydraulic hose at boom piping

Jakex120 · 2023-11-23 22:22

I've removed many hydraulic hoses at different locations on my ex120 but never have experienced this one..Trying to replace one of the hoses at my stick cyl and it's at the floating end of the piping..when I get a good bite on the hose nut and the piping nut and begin to lay in to it the piping wanders sideways and up..As it does this it feels like Im gonna twist the piping off so I stop..Ive shimmed under it but the pipe pulls down then rotates out and up.. So now as you can see from the pic its bent upward..How the hell do I secure this thing so I can break it free..help..thx

Replies10
  1. #1Jonas3022023-11-23 23:09

    Small pipe wrench from the backside against the boom is about the best way to hold it Getting the fitting loose I would hit the hose side wrench with a 3 pound hammer to shock it loose easier, if you can get the backside of the hose blocked up and smack the flats a few times with a hammer it might come loose , Air hammer to vibrate and turn it off works awesome , cutting torch to put a quick heat on the nut it will come right off doubt a little handheld propane torch would do anything usefull

  2. #2willie592023-11-23 23:09

    Trick I've used many times. Ball peen hammer. Smartly whack the flats of the hose fitting nut with a hammer, hit as many flats as you can access. I don't mean beat the hell out of it, just good smart whacks square on the flats of the hose fitting nut. I once had to remove a busted hose on top of the boom of a CX210 that was on a slope, a fairly steep slope at that. The whole upper of the machine was covered in oil, slippery as hell. Knowing I would be climbing the boom cylinders to access the hose, conventional means of hose removal was a no go, I knew I would have to remove that hose with just one hand while the other hand gripped some component of the machine to keep from slipping off. I removed that hose with nothing more than a ball peen hammer.

  3. #3willie592023-11-23 23:10

    And Jonas302 posted as I was writing. LoL

  4. #4Jakex1202023-11-24 00:42

    Yeah I actually had a pipe wrench on that piping nut and positioned into the boom..as I get torsion on the hyd hose nut it plants itself like its ready for the loosening leverage then all of a sudden the piping deflects and pulls the wrenches with it..Im gonna try heat and blows with hammers tomorrow..what a crap design..should have a pipings mounting pad welded there to hold em in place in a way they can be removed if need replacing.

  5. #5Zewnten2023-11-24 20:28

    Ratchet strap your backing wrench to the boom then get lots of leverage so you don't fall when it breaks free from pushing/pulling as hard as you can. Or use an air hammer and blunt chisel to hit the corner of the hose fitting to break it free and a wrench spin it off.

  6. #6Jakex1202023-11-24 21:11

    That sounds like a good idea there..as far as falling I'm not on a ladder but have the boom positioned over the back corner of my dump truck bed. I just climb up in the bed and get a good stance

  7. #7Junkyard2023-11-24 21:49

    Air hammer. 60% of the time it works every time lol. Seriously, a flat punch on it, put it on the edge and slowly apply the beans to it and it’ll break loose. I do that often, especially if it’s a hose you’re replacing anyway. Rarely does it even damage a fitting beyond a mark or two.

  8. #8Jakex1202023-11-25 03:14

    After another attempt today before sundown I've come to realize something..why when I get my backing wrench propped and secure does the piping deflect out and twist upon trying to break the hose nut free? The reason is because I'm working from one side only with my wrenches at 9 and 10 o'clock ..To put my backing wrench where I think it should be at 2- 3 o'clock Im gonna have to apply a strong downforce on the tool with a chain or strap...I understand all the comments of hammering and chiseling but like I said its floating and secured a foot downstream on the boom so any blows it just absorbs them..got nasty cold rainy weather coming here in next few days so will be taking a break from it ..will report back..thanks

  9. #9Jakex1202023-11-25 23:14

    Ok..got lucky and was granted another day before the rain and cold sets in..ratchet straping on the backing wrench for the win! ..I knew I could count on the guys here at HEF..thanks again. P.S. maybe with the help here I can get this ol dump truck operational ..now that I think about it I might've started a thread about the old truck a few years back..

  10. #10Gary Layton2023-11-26 00:19

    Excellent! Good solution. Working alone can get challenging. This is how I used rope to make another man to hold my cheater bar when I was working on my undercarriage...and to catch the rollers when they broke loose.