Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing Hydraulic pump on Massey Ferguson 50B backhoe

ghendo ยท 2013-08-24 23:39

The hydraulic pump on my ** 50B split yesterday - right where the high pressure line screws in. Removing it looked reasonably straight forward until I have to pull the pump forward away from the spline on the drive shaft. The manual says to remove the two securing bolts, which I did, and "slide the pump splined drive gear out of the drive shaft". This has proved to be the tricky bit. The pump now pivots around on the shaft but getting it to come forward is the problem. I presume it is just stiff or seized and will take a bit of shifting. Any comments from people having done this job beforeor who know what is needed would be most welcome. Cheers Geoff

Replies5
  1. #1hookedondiesel2013-08-25 05:46

    I'm not sure on the "50", if there's a U-joint on the other side, try disconcerting it and tapping the shaft out from there. A picture would have helped.

  2. #2Delmer2013-08-25 10:19

    Kind of worn into each other, with the old grease soaking up the rust and dirt and forming a nice hard packed gunk. I don't know how you'd get a spray nozzle through that casting, but a little solvent would go a long way to softening it up. You could also try tapping two wood shims under the "ears" on the pump and tapping the crankshaft end of the driveshaft, if you can get anything at that end. I think the crank coupler has some flex in it, so prying the pump forward will let you tap the shaft back without running into the crankshaft pulley. I was wondering what the meaning of "shifting" was, but I guess I figured it out.

  3. #3ghendo2013-08-25 23:28

    Thanks for the replies. "Shifting" must be an Aussie term - means "moving". Well, after a lot of swearing and head scratching I got the pump off this morning - I think the swearing helped a lot !! As the pump is damaged anyway, I dismantled it by removing the four large bolts which left just the back plate and one of the gears. I was then able to use two of these large bolts to screw back into the back plate and press against the chassis to force the pump forward off the spline. It took quite an effort and when I eventually got if off you could see where it had been seized on. I'm going to have to give it a really good clean up before putting a new pump on. Think I might put some anti-seize grease on the shaft as well before reassembling it. I am told you have to move the pump forward to get a new fan belt on, so I am going to do that as well while it is all apart. Cheers Geoff

  4. #4ManicACMechanic2013-08-26 20:00

    what model pump is it on your Massey 50, what pump does it use?

  5. #5ghendo2013-08-27 06:03

    The pump that was on it had been put on by a previous owner. It has a label that says COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIES - Part No. P50A-4895. The new one I have is supposed to be a DOWTY, which is probably what was on there originally. As you can see in the photo, the new pump seemed to have a much thicker centre section where the old one cracked - hopefully it won't do the same. Geoff