Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing JD 850c recoil spring

erickson_ryan ยท 2020-08-27 09:26

JD 1997 850c I have the track broken down, idler wheel, rod and tensioner assembly all pulled out. I'm trying to replace the track adjuster housing and obviously the spring needs to come out. I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it the safest way possible because I'm not sure how much tension it's under! It appears I have to remove 4 bolts then lift the spring up to clear the cage it sits in. Does anyone have experience with this particular spring? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612020-08-28 05:24

    If you are going to need to remove the spring, then I recommend you take the assembly to a dealer or undercarriage shop to have that done. Those springs are under a lot of tension and there is a "cage" they are placed into to safely disassemble them.

  2. #2DMiller2020-08-28 06:45

    The track tensioner should be removeable serviceable and serviced with the spring left in place, they only rely upon each other for alignment.

  3. #3Nige2020-08-28 10:12

    What he said. Those springs are not known as "Death Springs" for nothing. I have no experience with JD so can't give detailed advice but FFS be careful .........!!

  4. #4Dave Neubert2020-08-28 11:29

    That spring is under 15 to 20 tons tension you can take the assembly out but do not release the tension. Take it to a track shop. That spring will kill you

  5. #5erickson_ryan2020-08-29 13:19

    Thanks guys kinda what I figured after looking at it, just wanted to be sure.