HeyGuys, My Dozer would not start the last couple of days. I had to use starting fluid to get it going. Today it stopped running after about a hour and would not start. Any thoughts?
I'm assuming it is cranking over? Any white smoke if it is cranking? Have you checked to see if it is getting fuel? When were fuel filters changed last? Is fuel valve at the fuel tank open? Any other information like work done recently, strange noises when running, cranking slow or fast....? Are glow plugs working? Know how to use them? I know it's not cold in KY but an old pre-chamber engine might need a touch of glow plugs at least first start of the day! Fill in some blanks and we might have some more ideas, no need in writing a two page description on priming the fuel system if engine won't even crank over or has a rod sticking out the left side!
Using ether to start, even without heating the glow plugs, seems to be hard on the glow plugs....at least that seems like it on my 10k. I would guess it's most likely a fuel problem, and filters are the first place to look. Low fuel pressure on the gauge?
Thanks, It is cranking great but not getting any fuel so I spray some ether in it and crank it over and keep spraying ether {about 10 Seconds} and the fuel picks up and it starts to run. Today I did that and it ran about a hour and then shut off. I am going to get a fuel filter tomorrow and check if its getting fuel. The glow plugs don't work and it was 95 degree today
Do not forget there will probably be a fine gauze fuel strainer somewhere near the engine.
Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow. is it located close to the fuel filter?
I do not know where it is on that S/N D6C. But there will be one there somewhere.
When it is running, what does the fuel pressure gauge indicate? Mine D6C is somewhat older, but there is a small fuel bowl about a foot lower than the spin on filter with the strainer screen in it. If it's not the filter, try loosening the fuel cap during operation...…….maybe the vent is plugged up & it runs till there is too much vacuum on the tank?
My 10k also has a water separator ahead of the spin on fuel filter. Square glass type. It could also need replacing. If so, be sure to get a water filter and not a fuel filter ....both are available to fit the same base. Napa has them.
If this D6C 10K09369 is still stock or at least what SIS says it came with I'm thinking the primary filter will be located under the injection pump. Should be about the size of a shot glass, not a quart jar, so you have an idea what you are looking for! It should look like this: That is a washout filter but sometimes they are too nasty to reuse, as they get overlooked by many people till it's too late. I always tried to check and clean them any time I was doing an oil change. Pay me now or pay me later! Not the best picture: Technically that is not under the injection pump but under what Cat refers to as the "accessory drive". The fuel transfer pump is mounted the side of it and the spin-on fuel filter is mounted to the top of it!
Thanks Everyone, I took the fuel filter off and it was about half full. I filled the new filter up with Diesel and installed it. It started up with a little ether. I used the dozer all day and it worked great. The next morning it started right up. Could it have been a stopped up fuel filter?
Well first thing would be to cut the old filter apart and see what it looks like in there and maybe post pictures. And even more important loose that can of killer fluid and fix the dam glow plug system! Not to be a jerk but you are dealing with about the simplest wiring system ever put on a machine with electric start! My 1947 Farmall BN has more wiring on it! Basically one wire from the heat start switch that goes through two plug connectors to the glow plugs. No relays, no diodes or ECM's to need the memory flashed. Here is the wiring diagram if you don't already have it:
In my opinion,you will need glow plugs working regardless of the weather
Yep....use the glow plugs on my 3306 all year around. Warm weather usually only about 20 seconds.....more as it gets colder. If I remember right, manual says up to 2 minutes.
another reason your batteries have to be up to snuff
Yes, but if the batteries can not handle a couple minutes load from the glow plugs I doubt they would start the engine with the "killer spray" without the glow plugs. Now as much as I may talk against the "killer spray" the newest Cat equipment we had at the quarry had that stuff as an automatic computer regulated system and it seemed to work fine and the bottles would last a couple years or more. The real problem is the "overdose" that too many people seem to feel is needed to start an engine.