Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing pivot shafts

ilovetracks ยท 2022-12-03 20:41

943 parts machine. Forcing screws won't separate, broke one off. Tried heat. Penetration oil. Removed trans pan and pickups. 10 ton porta power inside frame didn't work. Tried 100 ton power pack cylinder today nothing moves. I've hit it with sledge hammer and it won't even crack where mated. I'm ready to torch frame!! How do you guys remove these?

Replies9
  1. #1OzDozer2022-12-05 02:01

    You need lots of heat. A big rosebud and a couple of gas bottles is what you need when you've got something corroded in this bad.

  2. #2John C.2022-12-05 11:39

    A big press jack is another requirement.

  3. #3Tugger22022-12-05 12:32

    When you buy a rosebud ,look for one that burns propane and oxygen instead of an acetylene rose bud . The acetylene one will inevitably backfire and go out just as your reaching critical temp. Propane just keeps pouring the heat on.

  4. #4Cat9772022-12-06 19:02

    I used a propane set up with a fellow once, he had what looked like a 40 gallon tank. I was surprised at the heat it put out. I'm not sure it even had oxygen hooked up. He made the head for the propane torch. It may have been made as an inductor that pulled in room air. One hell of a fast, and still good welder that man. Are you supposed to use a big tank like you are with acetylene when really pushing out the flow? He said you could pull the acetone out of a small acetylene tank and that it would spit droplets if pushed too hard.

  5. #5Tugger22022-12-06 19:16

    I run mine off the 100lb tank usually at the shop. But i have run it off the small barbecue tank lots of times. Sounds like your guy had a tiger torch ,i have seen them with a piece of 1/4" copper tube feeding compressed into the back of the torch which worked pretty well.

  6. #6Cat9772022-12-06 23:03

    I can't remember.... I've got the too'sss. Too long ago....too old....tooo late at night at my extra money night job......welding bent the plate too much to fix on site.....we went too far to get to the 2 torches and the 50 ton press. Seemed pretty scary but there would of been no fix'en without it. I was soo very glad to get home. Best I can think he took a brass/bronze tube ran a old rosebud through the tube and welded fins to separate them. This way the flow from the propane pulled the air in from the back side of the torch head. Then I think he drilled out the holes in the rosebud. When he ran it, it sounded like a very large jet engine moving fuel and air in large volumes. I'm pretty sure no compressed air. Some people should not play with fire!! Maybe just reading is best. I love old stories. I love being old and telling them. One from school. There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots. I like to think there just not many!!! Cheers! Use extreme caution around flammable gas!!!

  7. #7Dave Neubert2022-12-07 16:33

    you can get a pin lance and burn a hole through any one who welds on heavy equipment should have one I had a pin in a crane boom that was 2 ft long and got it burned out

  8. #8Dave Neubert2022-12-07 16:36
  9. #9Welder Dave2022-12-07 17:44

    Propane torch sounds like a homemade Tiger Torch/weed burner. They will be quite noisy opened up and have a blue flame but nowhere near hot enough to get thicker steel red hot unless you want to be there for a long time. Tiger Torches are commonly used for preheating large weldments. Propane rosebuds work great because you don't have to worry about withdrawal rates like you do with acetylene. This means they can be even bigger. Acetylene will heat a smaller area faster but Propane will heat a larger area. The inner flame of acetylene is where the most heat is concentrated. With Propane the most heat is concentrated in the outer envelope of the flame. If you need to heat a larger area you can use a much bigger propane rosebud. Propane will use a lot more oxygen but O2 is much cheaper than acetylene. A 20lb BBQ tank will work fine. How long you need to heat for is more the determining factor in what size of tank you need. A 20lb tank is actually quite big when comparing to an acetylene cylinder. If an acetylene rosebud starts "popping"/backfiring the most common reason is not enough gas pressures. Acetylene needs to be 14 or 15 PSI and O2 needs to be 30 to 40 PSI. The high flow of gases help too cool the tip. You don't want to throttle back the valves too much when using a rosebud. Getting the tip too hot by holding it too close or inside a pipe or something is the 2nd most common cause of backfiring. If the tip is getting black is a sign of drawing acetone out.