Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Renewing blade pins etc

watglen ยท 2017-11-17 08:33

Hi Guys, Need a little advice here. I have a d6H lgp with a straight tilt blade, single tilt cylinder the pins and pinholes in the brackets have worn to the point where the blade flops left and right a lot. Its basically blowing in the wind up there. Last year I replaced the pin and bearing in the center of the c-frame. That helped some. I want to replace the brackets at the base of the tilt cylinder, as well as the end of the tilt cylinder itself. Also the corresponding brackets on the left side of the tractor. My plan is just have the brackets remade, cut the old ones off, weld new ones on. Just use standard W50 plate or whatever, nothing too specific. Anything wrong with that idea? Ken

Replies6
  1. #1Bluox2017-11-17 09:53

    Why don't you just buy new ones from Cat ? Bob

  2. #2Willie B2017-11-17 18:07

    I'm not familiar with your machine. My Dresser behaved similarly. Examining where the wear was, I found it was surfaces that slide in need of refurbishing, Pins, and bushings had minimal wear. Restoring surfaces to original flatness, and removing shims cured the problem.

  3. #3Ronsii2017-11-17 19:18

    Making all new pins/ears is my plan also for a C frame D4D dozer I have, it's just a lot of work to make all the pins and ears I need... if I remember right there are ~12 pins.... but like yours you could lift it in the air and move a corner up and down over a foot by hand!!!

  4. #4Ronsii2017-11-19 16:20

    Here is a couple of the upper pin sets I have just about done, I will probably regret doing it this way down the road but for as many hours as I put on this thing it will probably outlast me I just overbored until I reach zero egg shape... the downside is then I have all oversized/odd pins.... Oh well only plan on doing it once... if it ever gets done

  5. #5watglen2017-11-19 23:00

    I took a look at buying new from cat. Price is ok on some of the parts, but out of wack on the rest. Overall, cheaper to fab up something myself.

  6. #6watglen2017-11-24 06:14

    As luck would have it my next door neighbour is a machinist who specializes in line boring. So its pretty lucky to have a good resource so close. Cheapest way is to overbore everything and go with a larger pin. Thats what we'll do