Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rent or buy

Okiecat ยท 2013-04-18 13:19

Got a job for 150 or so hrs scraper time. Won't need the scraper after this for a year or more. I'm 99% Dozer man. What's my best option? It's sandy soil and just leveling and a couple of levees 5' tall. 300 to 600' haul.

Replies6
  1. #1Aussie Leroy2013-04-19 04:56

    Okiecat; Pullbehind Scraper good little job. Cheers Leroy

  2. #2D6 Merv2013-04-19 15:40

    towed scoop, behind your dozer

  3. #3CM19952013-04-19 21:16

    If you can rent a scraper or sub that portion out and still meet the budget then that's what I would do. Another option would be to rent an artic and hoe to move the dirt and spread with your dozer but that could get expensive and effect the budget as well. If you have the hyd's to run a pull behind scraper, that may be an option as well. If you have to buy a pull behind scraper and then spend the $$ to fit it hydraulically, then renting a motor scraper or sub'ing it out would be more economical. Let us know a little more about your operation and equipment at hand and we can give better advice.

  4. #4Okiecat2013-04-19 23:13

    Thanks for info, a few things have changed today. First a local farmer has offered his 4x4 farm tractor 275 HP. And I have checked with Garfield scrapers and they rent pans. Have a 12 yd for 3k a month. I think this is the way to go. This job is all by the hr, I just don't know how much to charge for this rig?

  5. #5CM19952013-04-20 07:59

    That'a the way I would go Okiecat. Is the farmer going to rent you the tractor bare or with operator? In the good times, you could buy a piece of equipment for the current project and keep it around to find work for it in the future as work was plentiful. In these lean times that's just not good business practice IMO.

  6. #6Acivil2013-04-22 21:40

    Go to Ritchie Bros or another auction and buy a small self loader for 4-6k and you'll have one next time you need it. I bought a 762 in 09, have used it on 5 jobs since... paid 10k have spent 5k in maint. have earned +/- 150k with it. It sits most of the time, but it's great when we need it.