Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Repairing a Spicer 7speed gearbox

Steel_Captain ยท 2022-01-26 10:07

Original problem was an inability to shift into 6th gear so have dropped the gearbox and disassembled it. Splines in the synchro for 6/7th gears was found to be badly work so obviously will be replaced but my question has to do with wear on the splines for engaging both 6th and 7th gears. The splines are worn and I include photos here. If they are not too worn, I do not want to replace the two years (especially 6th gear since that also means replacing the input shaft and that is an expensive part) I had no real problem shifting into 7th gear before pulling the gearbox and since the wear on both the 6th and 7th splines is about the same I would like to skip replacing these gears if the wear seen is acceptable however I then give up any insurance that guarantees the problem is fixed before reinstalling the gear. Advice please?

Replies1
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-01-26 20:04

    It will run for awhile but you will be back there later on. Run them over a wire buffer wheel.