Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replace fluorescent with led– shop lights

crane operator · 2017-11-21 20:06

Has anyone here replaced their shop lights with led. I see where they have 8' led replacements for fluorescents, you have to pull the ballast and do a little rewiring. I've got 8' fluorescents for my whole shop, and I'm tired of dealing with the ballasts going out (lights are quite old). Amazon shows a 20-25 packs, and I've thought about changing mine out. https://www.amazon.com/Light-6000K-...ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2

Replies20
  1. #1hosspuller2017-11-21 20:24

    Before you buy, compare the lumen output & color temperature of the various LED retrofits. They are not all equal.

  2. #2Camshawn2017-11-21 21:50

    Look at the cost of refixtureing the shop with different lighting. 8' fixtures may be more money to retrofit with Led than changing to led highbay or more common 4' tube fixtures. At work a few years ago, we got rid of 400w HID lights with high output fluorescent 6 tube fixtures. When we next relamp, we will install an LED tube. I am going to install led tubes in my shop at home. Most of the fixtures I have have electronic ballasts already. I have a 2 boxes of led tubes that are just plug and play( and I can't break them). My rambling point is that you need to look at the costs (locally) to replace vs to to upgrade. 4' tubes are common and now cheap. Consult with a local electrical wholesaler Most should have a lighting specialist that can make some recommendations as to what way to go. There may be government rebates the could offset the costs making farming out the work cheaper than doing it yourself. The wholesaler may be able to advise you on that as well. Good luck with your project, Cam

  3. #3Greatwestcam2017-11-21 22:01

    When I worked at the dealership they changed all the lighting in all their stores and shops from sodium halide type to LED, said it cost them about 2 mil to do but pay back would be 3 to 4 years. Was nice and bright and didn't have to wait for the lights to warm up and come on.

  4. #4Delmer2017-11-21 22:36

    That seems like a good solution for you. I've used the 4' direct replacements that work with existing t8 fixtures. I like them so far but it's too early to tell, and I probably don't have enough to really know how they do anyway. There were cheap, (around $2) but they only work with electronic ballasts, and then you're still depending on the ballast.

  5. #5Hobbytime2017-11-21 23:38

    I have replaced a bunch of 4ft florescent bulbs with led, your only cost is the bulb, you throw out the ballast, its not needed and a simple rewire( instructions come with the new bulbs), you dont need new fixtures, they are just metal, what could go wrong with them, nothing, just clean up the reflector maybe some new bright white paint, but the leds are also directional so you can aim them too...

  6. #6Crummy2017-11-22 08:19

    I replaced mine a few years back & they are just great. I got them at home Depot, around $200/ea at the time. One of the pictures shows the motion detector I installed at the peak- walk in the door & blink! they are on. Hard to get pictures, those dudes are really bright.

  7. #7Stickboat12017-11-22 08:28

    I understand the lumen output but whats the color tempurature all about??

  8. #8Tinkerer2017-11-22 08:55

    Kinda like a pale yellow light to a very bright white/ blueish light.

  9. #9ol'stonebreaker2017-11-22 10:00

    I recently bought and installed eight 4' 2 tube LED shop lites in my 2 car garage/shop. 4100 lumen, 5k color temp. What a difference compared to the CFL's I had!! Mike

  10. #10hosspuller2017-11-22 10:36

    Color temperature is the color of the light from the lamps/led. It's measured in degrees Kelvin or just "K" If you heat up a metal object, the object appears to glow. Depending on the Kelvin temperature that the metal object is being heated at, the glow will be various colors, such as orange, yellow or blue. The color temperature of light bulbs (lamps) is meant to replicate the Kelvin temperature of the metal object. For example... 3000k is warm white like a regular filament bulb. 4000 k is a cool white fluorescent bulb. 6000K is Sunlight at noon. 10,000 K is a purple light from a HID auto headlight

  11. #11kenh2017-11-22 10:54

    Anyone try this brand? I prefer the 5K ones. https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Du...id=1511365715&sr=8-4&keywords=led+4+foot+tube

  12. #12Old Doug2017-11-23 11:33

    The power company had a crew that came around and switched the shops 6 footers over. They also did the store by the shop and the school in town.

  13. #13alskdjfhg2017-11-23 12:54

    I put some LED's in my building. Bought them off Ebay, advertised as made in USA (Asutin TX to be exact), about 150-200 each for 4 bulb 4'ers with fixture and bulbs. But I've already had one bulb go bad totally, and another one getting ready to go. Probably only have maybe a few hundred hours on them, so very premature. I've been finishing the rest of the shop with T8's.

  14. #14Delmer2017-11-23 13:17

    You can usually find cheap t8 fixtures around. Most commercial fixtures will be an instant start electronic ballast that will drive a direct replacement bulb like these for $5 each: https://www.menards.com/main/electr...062-c-7482.htm?tid=2892021016604278224&ipos=1 These won't work in super cheap shop light style fixtures. I have about 40 four bulb fixtures to update, but they're original t12 so these bulbs won't work without new ballasts, and I might as well rewire for direct wire 120V leds if I'm gonna rewire, except the cost vs is it better to have the ballast in the bulb or a t8 ballast driving an led lamp it wasn't designed for?

  15. #15Ronsii2017-11-23 14:55

    Would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with wattmeters to see if the ballast in between takes more light or any other differences there are.... If only I had more time and money In one of my shop rooms I run 5 of the single row LED 4 foot integral 'fluorescents' I'll have to look up the lumens but I think they were rated at 12 watts/ea. and I gotta say they light up a 12' x 12' area pretty good

  16. #16thepumpguysc2017-11-23 15:40

    I've been shopping this morning online & found 4' LED shop lites at RURAL KING for 18.88, 4500 lumens. Gotta figure the shipping tho..

  17. #17JS3002017-11-25 09:22

    I did this last year in our store. Think I replaced 26 8’ bulbs. I just wired around the ballast and left it in place. The new lights are so bright the girls complaned about them for the first couple months, said they hurt their eyes when they turned them on in the morning. These stay on a minimum of 16 hrs a day and we haven’t had an issue. We replaced our canopy lights with LED fixtures about 5 years ago and still haven’t had a problem. The LEDs are high but definitely pay for themselves fairly quick. Not sure if it matters or not but I bought the more expensive bulbs. Think they were around $25 each. I always get the “daylight” bulbs.

  18. #18thepumpguysc2017-11-25 17:11

    I went to order the Rural King lites & they're outta stock online.. 4500 AND 5000 lumens..

  19. #19JS3002017-11-25 18:53

    I reviewed my Amazon order and the ones I bought were Hyperikon 5000k, 2240 lumens, in “crystal white glow”. Been very happy with them. It’s hard to say how much you really save when you figure these put off no measurable heat, no ballast, and seem to last forever. We are going through close to a million dollar LED lighting upgrade at the plant right now. Thats just for parts. Doing it as the budget allows. I sure hope we get it done before the next best thing comes out

  20. #20Jumbo2017-12-08 23:15

    I have an 1800 sq. ft. shop, I replaced all 14 of my 250 W MH low bay lights with equivalent LED lowbay lights. I had a dozen 2 tube 4’ T8s (for quick on) which I replaced with ballast free LEDs, all are 5000K, I like it bright. The MH and the T8s were all extra lights I had from a job about 20 years ago. It is worth it as I will never have to relamp again in my lifetime. I have come by 2’x2’ edge-lit flat panels that I have installed over my tool boxes, lathe and drill press. I made frames out of 1” angle supporting them with cable from the ceiling. I have also made three LED stand lights with 250W equivalent LED floods for work lights. So far I have about $900 into the project. I spent 40 years working as an electrician making dark places light and I hate working in the dark. Better yet, I still have access to lights for very decent prices for personal use. It has been requested that I provide shade 12 glasses for those not accustomed to working in decent light…. Go LED and never look back