New here and enjoying all the info. I have a Bobcat 331D in need of new rubber tracks, I have a quote from Groundhogs and they look like a very good company and I like the idea of a solid cable vs independant links. Just wanted a little feedback, good, bad or ugly. Thanks in advance
Have you checked the auctions, I pick up several good sets every year this way.
tracks Stay away from Solideal, Check out the Takeuchi ad at top of page, they can get anything.
Interesting I had a quote from Solideal but Groundhogs was much cheaper, but what I am really interested in knowing is the solid cable a better way than the conventionial method of making tracks ?
I tore one of my original Takeuchi tracks last year that had a continuous cable. The steel crossbars that the sproket runs on tore out through the rubber at 1100 hours. My previous Takeuchi I tore the outside edge and it did not have the steel cable so it was junk at that point. I swapped to a used set of steel tracks. Steel is nice, but they are loud, come off easy when backing up hill and ride rough. On the plus side they drive rocks down, makeing blade grading much easier and they seem to hold-up well. Had them on for 400 hours +- so far and would consider buying my next machine with steel. Only other type that looks good is the Maclaran (sp) hydrid. Steel chain with rubber pads.
From all I know about tracks, it doesn't make much difference if the track is continuous solid cable track vs. the overlapping track. It all depends on the quality of the manufacturer -- either method can be great or can suck. I heard that Bridgestone, for example, uses overlapping method and they make some of the best tracks. I personally use McLaren tracks -- great quality and service! Plus I heard they are now working with Bobcat directly, which I think is a great recognition, because Bobcat is very picky on who they work with and pass them through tons of testing. But if you are looking for less expensive tracks, I found this site recently: http://www.radmeister.com Good luck on getting good tracks for the money. It's a big investment and I heard some horror stories -- some tracks fall apart in less than 500 hours, which I think is a big rip-off. Hope this helps. :drinkup
You mean "McLaren"? Like the people who help to SPONSOR Heavy Equipment Forums? (Upper right hand corner of your screen.)
From what I have experienced from my dealings with McLaren, they have good products and professional service. I would recommend them.
Thanks for all the replies, I called McLaren today and they beat the best price I had from Groundhogs so I've ordered my tracks. 3-5 days to BC. Hopefully everything works out.
Steel All the way.... Rubber always tares,,, ''you always get little pokes and bruises... You really get to watch them get wrecked right in front of you. I switched mine to steel, and if a customer wanted rubber I just rented the machine.
My tracks are intact -- my problem is, one track fell off and I don't know how to get it back on. Is there a trick to getting it on? (Bobcat 323 Model)
Back off the hydraulic adjuster allowing the grease to leak out. There should be a small plate on the side of the track frame for each track, remove the plate, unscrew the adjuster where the grease fitting is and compress the front track idler. Put the track back on, reinstall the grease adjuster and pump it back up.
So you do it the same way you'd do it on a D-10? WOW! Somebody said you just stretch it out with a chain and a come-a-long. Do you think there's any truth to that? Thank you for your reply, BTW : )
No - you do not want to stretch the track out. What atgreene said is the way I have always done it and it is not too difficult. Just use the boom to raise the side of the machine up that you need to put the track on so you can get the track underneath the undercarriage and muscle it on. But be careful when you take the fitting out to release the grease from the tension cylinder, it can be under pressure.
Thanx!!!
:lmao:lmao:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh Oh that a D10 was that easy, but ye its the same principle.